Transit Tales. Owned or rented.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Max Thunder

Re: Transit Tales. Owned or rented.

Post by Max Thunder »

8-) Hi

I think many are but the bloke l sold my van to said that Banna engine ones are good to convert into vans used on permanent or semi permanent pitches such as parks, shopping centers etc.

Not going to do many miles so it was all about the economics. He showed me where they were going to cut the old body off and fit the fiber glass shell on .

Though in the photo the van appears to have a parking ticket :roll:
8-) Hi ...I might be wrong but I won't be.
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

Max Thunder wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:43 pm 8-) Hi
Number 3 of 4 Mk 2 Lwb I have owned . 2.0 Pinto powered. IMG_20240508_084341_877.jpg
I note that you going to race a Moskvich estate, where did that meet its end? There was one on the Bangers & cash show last week, one owner with tons of spares, all original. For some reason I would have liked to own it.

On the Transit front, up in Worcs where a friend used to store and work on old American cars there was a LWB version the same as your Mk2 one except it had 80 miles on the clock. For some reason it had been registered on an E-plate 1987/8, apparently the owner had bought a few of the last Mk2s presumably at a discount as the Mk3 had come out and had kept one, the others were used in his business. It was absolutely mint and only went out for an MoT. I should have taken photos of it.
Max Thunder

Post by Max Thunder »

59Impala wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:21 pm
Max Thunder wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:43 pm 8-) Hi
Number 3 of 4 Mk 2 Lwb I have owned . 2.0 Pinto powered. IMG_20240508_084341_877.jpg
I note that you going to race a Moskvich estate, where did that meet its end? There was one on the Bangers & cash show last week, one owner with tons of spares, all original. For some reason I would have liked to own it.

On the Transit front, up in Worcs where a friend used to store and work on old American cars there was a LWB version the same as your Mk2 one except it had 80 miles on the clock. For some reason it had been registered on an E-plate 1987/8, apparently the owner had bought a few of the last Mk2s presumably at a discount as the Mk3 had come out and had kept one, the others were used in his business. It was absolutely mint and only went out for an MoT. I should have taken photos of it.
8-) Hi
Some photos of the Moskvich have recently resurfaced including some of it pre stripped. Give us a couple of days and I will do a separate topic on it 😁
8-) Hi ...I might be wrong but I won't be.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Although I'm pretty sure that I've told this Transit tale on here before, I'll repeat it for the benefit of those who haven't been blessed with the memory of Eddie Honda.

I once owned an early Capri II 3.0 Ghia on an M plate with a manual box. I'd got it cheap due to the rear axle being missing as apparently they were sought after by the rally boys. £80 and a Saturday afternoon of swearing later the Capri was back on the road complete with a sympathetic MOT and six months tax courtesy of my Papermate Replay cover note.

At the same time, I had a mate who had the use of his dad's SWB Mk2 1600 Transit. This sowed the seeds to a gentleman's wager. I bet my mate that the Capri could reach 100 mph while towing his dad's Transit. This bet had no monetary value, the loser had to ask another friend's munter of a sister out for a date.

The day arrives. Rather than use a standard length tow rope which would be a little short we use a length of boat rope allowing a little more space between my Capri and his Transit. Being sensible* it's agreed that the Transit engine should be running to allow the brake servo to be working and a neutral observer will ride as a passenger in the Transit to ensure fair play.

To start the Capri does me proud, it romps up to 60 mph like the Transit isn't there, it even pulls strongly between 60 and 80 mph but 80 to 90 mph takes ages! After achieving a top speed of 95 mph I loop the motorway roundabout and have another go in the other direction. This time I made it as far as 85 mph and the next junction before the Capri ran out of petrol. The Capri must have only managed 10 mpg during the challenge! We pull over onto the hard shoulder and use the Transit to tow the Capri home.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Back_For_More

Post by Back_For_More »

V reg School Transit Minibus took us from Sunderland down to that there BBC HQ to be a part of the Going Live show where I quizzed the education secretary on why the implementation of GCSEs had been such a massive fuck up......
Screamed the whole way there n back as our teacher drove like an escaped rapist on coke....... Uncomfortable, cramped. For 6kids and there weekend bags and bloody freezing as the heater was for shit.
Loved it....... Would do again.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

After a prolonged campaign, our secondary school sold enough donated wastepaper, cardboard and scrap non-ferrous to purchase a Minibus.....

LWB Transit Mk1 pre-facelift in Post Office Red, twin-wheel diesel. Two long slatted wooden benches, one down each side and comfy padded Ambla for the driver and whoever ponced the remaining two front seats. In the back was like being on a dosser's bench whilst coming down off Buckfast.

Luckily I was never involved in extra-curricular shit so the most I ever rode in it was to an open day at the local Tech. Some poor bastards went up to Offa's Dyke in the fucking thing, though.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I'm not sure if I've posted this before (and too lazy to look) but I am the most intimate with a Transit of anyone on the site!

I interfaced a frail human teenage body with the hard and unyielding rear end of a MK1 Transit leaving an impression in the rear D/S rear wing and door and much shattered glass and plastic in the road

In the fragile teenage body, it broke many many parts (Hip, pelvis, knee, leg (x3) sternum, ribs, collar bone, shoulder blade, multiple compression fractures of the spin and the bones in the back of the left hand).

Sadly, the Transit was repaired rather more quickly than the fragile teenage body, as the Transit was back on the road the very next day (so I am reliably informed) while the FTB spent the next 5 months in Warwick Royal Infirmary.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

xtriple wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:58 pm I'm not sure if I've posted this before (and too lazy to look) but I am the most intimate with a Transit of anyone on the site!

I interfaced a frail human teenage body with the hard and unyielding rear end of a MK1 Transit leaving an impression in the rear D/S rear wing and door and much shattered glass and plastic in the road

In the fragile teenage body, it broke many many parts (Hip, pelvis, knee, leg (x3) sternum, ribs, collar bone, shoulder blade, multiple compression fractures of the spin and the bones in the back of the left hand).

Sadly, the Transit was repaired rather more quickly than the fragile teenage body, as the Transit was back on the road the very next day (so I am reliably informed) while the FTB spent the next 5 months in Warwick Royal Infirmary.
How many legs?
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

3 breaks in one (left) leg, fucking pedant :)
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I think you have mentioned that before, but I can't recall what you were riding when you attacked an innocent tranny.
Private signature, do not read