What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: What did you do today?

Post by mercrocker »

A clean number plate is always a good indicator.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Helped the garage get the mobile incinerator off the drive.

Replacing the fouled plugs didn't help it starting so it's now gone in for some expert attention.
I assume their insurance covers them if something bursts into flame, especially as they reckon it's a fuel supply issue.
Back_For_More

Post by Back_For_More »

Ordered a new ignition barrel and key set for the 2101..... I had it moved while I was away and placed on the drive - the muppet snapped the ignition key in the lock
IMG_20240129_111917.jpg
IMG_20240129_111917.jpg (406.33 KiB) Viewed 414 times
then butchered said barrel to get the steering lock off.

If he'd bothered contacting me I'd have told them where the spare set was - wanker
IMG_20240129_111939.jpg
IMG_20240129_111939.jpg (420.52 KiB) Viewed 414 times
I'll crack on with that once delivered. Of course he's gone radio silent once I got back and saw the damage done.

Now digging the P6 from under the domestic shit dumped in it while I was away too so I can crack on with the rusty shit bits.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Back_For_More wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:33 am the muppet snapped the ignition key in the lock
In fairness, the keys are made of cheese.

Many years ago, I managed to snap the key trying to open the boot of Tommy's Lada when I borrowed it to get to Edinburgh. Had to fuck about over to the far side of town to get key cut by code at the locksmiths.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I make it my first job these days to get a replacement key for anything "new".....Local locksmith is a jewel of a fella for sorting out blanks. When I put an Indian door lock into the Cowley handle he did scratch his head for a bit but eventually rang back to say he had found an old Simca blank in the back which he cut for me. He has a tray of old Romac numbered ones too, they came in handy for a spare boot key.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

mercrocker wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:15 pm I make it my first job these days to get a replacement key for anything "new"
I started doing that when I lost some Reelyant keys on the M3 somewhere (must of fallen out of pocket when on motorcycle). Original set + 2 spares usually.

Locksmiths vary so much though. Last time I had shrugs for finding a blank for the DAF 66, I suggested that I suppose I better return with them for cutting then. This agreed, I ordered the required blanks (in minimum quantities of ten) from Davenport Burgess and got them sent over.

Another time I went back to a locksmith that had no problems rustling up blanks and cutting on-the-spot keys for my GS, but failed dismally cut a Honda Jizz blade (too good at pressing buttons, but less good at working out the minor variations in thicknesses of key blanks.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Whoever designed the location of the battery on certain Audis must have had nuclear levels of core strength, especially A4 B6/7s with quite long noses. Its right under the scuttle panel and in the centre so no matter which way you approach it, you need to lean right over and stretch to reach it. Lifting a 15 kg battery from that angle was not easy, plus there are so many things it gets caught on and need to be removed.

Anyway, the drain hole was completely clear so that's not that cause of the water ingress to the drivers footwell. I did however notice that there is a small piece of rubber trim missing from the drivers side of the windscreen. While it's not a seal, it may be allowing the water to drain to a place it isn't supposed to so will keep a look out for a breaker in the scrappys.

Setting the car up again required some* procedures including a very convoluted one with the key but I got there. At least the radio didn't require a code.

I haven't used the TT in a while. I really like that car but I don't get to use it much as we always go out as a family (of 3, with a growing 10 year old). If I could find another interesting car with 4 seats for around £2k I might let it go...
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I snapped the key clean off in the boot lid of 'my' (wife really) new Ford Granada (mk3). Bit of a bugger as I'd just put the dogs in the boot!

Fortunately, the sunroof was partly open and so the missus, who was yet another of my petite blondes (Kyle's Mum) managed to squeeze and arm through enough to pop the central locking so we could get the dogs out. Then we had to hitch to Widdecombe and phone her FDad to come and fetch us!

Fortunately, the local Ford dealer had good records (we'd bought it from them a few months earlier) and we had a new key the following morning and best of all, the bloody thing was still sat on the Moors when we got out to it later that day.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Potential replacement Saab found for my current Saab! It's a TTiD so £30 a year to tax. All the usual foibles have been sorted, rear arches are a bit bubbly but it is cheap.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Split_Pin wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:54 pm Potential replacement Saab found for my current Saab! It's a TTiD so £30 a year to tax. All the usual foibles have been sorted, rear arches are a bit bubbly but it is cheap.
Be aware the TTiD is a good engine when working but not good when it's not.
Iirc RBJ has some relatively recent experience with them.