The camping and caravan thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
cros
The Elastrator

Re: The camping and caravan thread

Post by cros »

In the early '90's when the kids were young we had a series 2 Landrover and '60's Sprite caravan, total value about 600 quid. This then unfashionable outfit guaranteed us pariah status on mainstream sites.
We once watched in astonishment as a group of shiny new 'vans set up , accompanied by a separate box trailer which housed a washing machine, dryer and ironing facilities for them to keep themselves looking immaculate.
It's immensely satisfying to be shunned by these idiots and a towball will soon be gracing the gold 25's cracked bumper, the better to horrify a new electric generation, fresh in from a nail-biting journey hauling their mobile status symbols.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

We've always had old vans. More so you don't have to worry getting the carpets and stuff dirty with the kids, dog etc. My mates alaways had nearly new ones with the plastic still on the seats and floor. They spent more time cleaning and panicking than enjoying the holiday. I never had any damp trouble with an old van either. They seemed to have problems quite regular.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

We went camping as a family many moons ago when my old man was skint. We went up Yorkshire way camping using the old boxy Scooby Do as a tow car. 6 of us with push bikes for all, tables, chairs tents, stoves, we took the fucking lot on that trip. The reason we took everything, my old man borrowed an old stock trailer off the local farmer. I had to hose all the sheep shit and piss out of it before we loaded it. They must have loved* us on the site we stayed at.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:16 pm We went camping as a family many moons ago when my old man was skint. We went up Yorkshire way camping using the old boxy Scooby Do as a tow car. 6 of us with push bikes for all, tables, chairs tents, stoves, we took the fucking lot on that trip. The reason we took everything, my old man borrowed an old stock trailer off the local farmer. I had to hose all the sheep shit and piss out of it before we loaded it. They must have loved* us on the site we stayed at.
Caravan club members would be spewing up at that a few years back, now they're buying their flat whites off of a Rice trailor. They really get up my schnonker.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

A Rice would have been positively up market compared to the one with wooden slatted sides with gaps in between like the one we rolled up with 🤣
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

We got raised eyebrows in the early 90s when I rocked up with my A plate cavalier and the 70s Monza my parents bought brand new (the only new vehicle they've ever had). The site owners weren't bothered in the slightest but we did get told that the posh C&C sites wouldn't take vans with single pane glass windows?
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Plus one on the "Fuck the Caravan Club" mantra. One of the kids bought us a membership a few years back. I was glad when it ran out, magazines full of pompous shit, continuous marketing flyers, stuck-up club sites (most of which resembled a crematorium backlot) and full of the kind of people I would avoid mixing with at a supermarket check-out never mind setting up shop amongst them for several days. I don't even like organised sites that much unless I'm at a weekender or have some other way of ensuring I only sleep there.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I used to be in the camping & caravanning club. That was ok & all their little approved sites were often gems, big sites are only for doing your washing mid holiday.
Private signature, do not read
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

My Mrs used to go camping with her sister or on her own, there was no fucking way I was going to sleep under a towel and match sticks.
Eventually for her "birthday" she persuaded me to buy a camper van.
NO, not a T4/5/6 wank, because of limited drive space, we ended up with a JDM Hi-Ace. I spent many a happy hour servicing it, welding it, dropping the gear box, etc.
A very wet week in Scarborough, a border collie that insisted in sleeping between us and we bought a far bigger motor home. Traded that for the current one, which is BFO (classified as Private Heavy Goods) and still almost as expensive as we paid for it 5 years ago (bank loan ends soon, yipeeee).
Do I care a fuck, no, but fuck me, are there some right wankers on the sites these days. PCP Range Rovers, Slbs (spoilt little bastards (( children)), "your dog barks" wankers etc.
We tend to try to go to "off grid" places (ie, no hookup and you need everything in your van, shower, shithouse etc), which generally improves things but we've had people complaining they couldn't charge their slbs I-pad before now.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Hooli wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:00 am This suits this thread.

FB_IMG_1650704367459.jpg
The van nearest has a brilliant view of the Khazi
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)