Battery drain on an old ldv

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Cruiser45

Battery drain on an old ldv

Post by Cruiser45 »

Unusual actual thread from me,friend if mine has a 98 LDV convoy ex Brum council minibus converted to a camper,and it is flattening it's batteries.in under a week.
I've checked for a drain on the batteries but not found anything glaringly obvious,I've added an earth lead from batteries to engine which increased the charge rate from 13.6 to 14.2. fitted new batteries (pair on series) and last week thinking alternator diodes was only thing left I fitted a new alternator. Got the message today that it wouldn't start (fully charged Sunday) and down to 11.3v again.
I've been told that there are no camper type electrics connected to the vans system(all off a leisure batt) but I can't think now what on earth is draining them,any ideas guys?
Park your ass in Fibreglass
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: Battery drain on an old ldv

Post by LynehamHerc »

A tracker?
My camper used to do this, a result of a tracker and a radio/cd player drain when the removable fascia was left attached.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Being ex council minibus has it got a tracker or alarm causing a parasitic drain? These old ldv's don't have much in the way of electronics so only thing would be something to do with either what I've mentioned above,stereo or something camper extras related. Has it a split charge relay with additional leisure battery?
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

My mate's Transit camper does this when not in use. He has had the battery out, charged it and re-checked after 48 hours. No drop. He hasn't found it yet, but like the LDV there has to be something leisure-related connected permanently and completely forgotten about.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Two options,
1), the obvious one that the van batteries are on their last legs.
2), if the leisure battery is charged when the engine is running, is the main charging diode to the leisure battery (usually a bfo metal thing with big cables to it) faulty?.
Cruiser45

Post by Cruiser45 »

So far as I'm led to believe,the leisure batteries are entirely charged by solar panels on the roof,and not connected to the ldvs electrics.batteries were new last month as I wasn't convinced the old ones were holding a charge.its.got an aftermarket reverse camera on it,which I will check,but can't imagine it's that.i believe it's only been a problem in the last 6 months,owned nine years.
Park your ass in Fibreglass