Aloominum Bodied Jagwaahs. Worth A Punt?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
JimH

Re: Aloominum Bodied Jagwaahs. Worth A Punt?

Post by JimH »

Not long back I was sitting in traffic and a Jag XF drew level with me. The car was gold with a willfully brown interior and the gentleman in the driver's seat was wearing a cheap looking poly-cotton shirt in white, some gold on his wrist and the seat was so far reclined he was almost looking at the headlining. The picture was completed by a packet of snouts sitting inside the instrument binnacle.

If it had been a ropey XJ6 instead of a ropey XF then you could have gone back four decades and the picture would have been no different. There is something about second hand jags of any age that have never shaken off their dodgy used car dealer, owner of a building firm that hasn't been doing to well recently image.

I always say that I'd own and drive any old shit that drifted across my transom as long as it ran on petrol but I would have a lot of difficulty in driving an old Jag. I have a lot of time for them but I think they have always been a car that you need to own when they are new.

It is possible that my opinion is coloured by the fact someone I know drives a ropey XF in gold with a willfully brown interior and he is a weapon's grade cock.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I dug out my XJ this morning, the frost was thick and the snow was gently falling and I had great expectations of actually taking the Merc when the Jag failed to start (was worried about the battery if you recall earlier drivel I posted) and it started perfectly first time and purred away to itself in a self-satisfied way as if to say: 'oh yea of little faith' and off we toddled to the park.

I think the above poster (JimH) while perfectly entitled to his opinion, is so fucking wrong he should be banned from the site forthwith! Ropey old Bimmers (sic) or Aldis (sic...er) fulfil the role with far more aplomb than any Jaguar could manage these days. They are a rare sight now and there is no such thing as a ropey old Jag (except my sons XJ) as they are all mint and well cared for.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Yes, yes all Jags are mint.

*looks at drive*

From a distance, at night anyway.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

It's not aluminium but the XJ6 (now "Tommy's") I owned was the biggest vehicular disappointment I've ever had. I'd been after a XJ6, XJ8 or possibly even a XK8 for years but after that I completely went off them. I can not see the appeal at all.

Even as cheap bangers go, there is much better around for the money.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Pah!

(says Tommy)
JimH

Post by JimH »

xtriple wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:48 pm I think the above poster (JimH) while perfectly entitled to his opinion, is so fucking wrong he should be banned from the site forthwith! Ropey old Bimmers (sic) or Aldis (sic...er) fulfil the role with far more aplomb than any Jaguar could manage these days. They are a rare sight now and there is no such thing as a ropey old Jag (except my sons XJ) as they are all mint and well cared for.
It is nothing to do with the condition of the actual car you are talking about. It could be the mintiest minty E Type Jaguar and it would still be ropey just as every Aldi A8 and Merc S class has a couple of ribbons running down to the grille and are driven by a bored looking bloke in a grey suit. It's just the role these cars were given when they were born and there is nowt you can do to change it.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

In my experience Jags were the typical PLC company directors cars in the 70s, 80s and 90s along with 7 Series and S Classes, including the SLC.
Quite a few of the Financial Directors I worked for had XJs, one a 4.2C. I'd still like one.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

JimH wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:19 am E Type Jaguar
Robin Reliant. :P