Never meet your heroes

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Never meet your heroes

Post by paulplom »

Really!
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

They've gone from being almost affordable and serviceable at home to unaffordable and unserviceable.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Progress.

Post by Guest »

I'm glad I had mine when they were cheap and bodgeable.
I had my first one in 1984, it was twelve years old and grotty it cost about £3k. I have had another ten or more since, I used to do over 20k miles a year in them. The oldest a 1937 4/4which I used as daily transport (not the most practical as it had a side valve engine and cable brakes). The newest was a 1984 4/4 with a bored out CVH engine running twin side draught webers. I have been lucky enough to drive quite a few other ones, including the prototype injection Plus 8 (must have been mid 1980s).
I would have one again, but now find them bloody awkward to get in and out, even the modern "long door" ones. It doesn't help that the modern seats are a lot thicker.
The last time I had a go in one it was still like coming home, once the awkwardness of getting in it was out of the way. You will either love it or wonder why anyone bothers. My brother is into cars, but always hated my Morgans, he did enjoy my S3 Alfa Spider though.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I see them fairly regularly by me and the odd 3 wheeler but I can't say they ever really floated my boat tbh. The one I do like is the boss eyed praying mantis looking thing that they did/do but I've only ever seen one I think?

A proper marmite car I imagine?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Why are they unserviceable? Surely just like every other car.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

While they're more unaffordable, hopefully this does allow them to continue operating while making a profit. They're going to need the money for moving into the electric era and the cost associated with that.

Anyway I'm sure their primary target market is Boomers and they have cash aplenty. No harm in milking them with their fat pensions. 😁
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

I remember taking a "lucky" lady out for a Sunday blast around North Wales on the back of my then company provided RF900. I came across a middle aged couple in a Plus 8 and both myself and the Morgan driver had some fun sparring around the twisties. After a while I noticed both his headscarf wearing wife and my lady looking at each other giving one another the tutting "typical men" look.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

SiC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:58 pm Why are they unserviceable? Surely just like every other car.
Powertrain and electrics, including all safety kit, are supplied wholesale from BMW. I don't believe there are any user serviceable parts. The chassis is extruded and bonded aluminium, unrepairable in a crash.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:58 pm
SiC wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:58 pm Why are they unserviceable? Surely just like every other car.
Powertrain and electrics, including all safety kit, are supplied wholesale from BMW. I don't believe there are any user serviceable parts. The chassis is extruded and bonded aluminium, unrepairable in a crash.

No different from many Lotus then.

On electronics surely just tell the scantool it's a 3-series or something?