Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
captain_70s

Re: Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Post by captain_70s »

8BAK465 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:52 am Agreed restoring a car is a Thankless Task,though im not 100% certain I am restoring?

Just making good and recommissioning ;)
I reckon due to the overall state of the car you're drifting more towards restoration levels of work simply because of how bad it is and how hard it is to source parts, even if the finished car won't be to "restored" condition.

Personally I'd sack off the interior entirely and concentrate on getting it reliable and good to drive first and foremost.

With the mechanicals sorted move on to the bodywork, once it is all straightened out strip the interior out and get it painted.

While the interior is out you can try and get it sorted.

That way you break your budget and time up into manageable chunks. It's easy to get carried away and jump into one job once another stalls but you just end up digging yourself a bigger hole to climb out of. Hence why I have a Dolomite with no engine AND no wheel arch...

You've already shown you're adept at getting job done, you know what is needed and where to get the stuff, you're just rushing ahead of yourself and leaving yourself with a mountain of started jobs which need finishing.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

I disagree. With any restoration, I just do whatever I feel like. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something. You don't want it owning you, it's meant to be the other way around. I always start with a really thorough clean, inside and out. Despite all the dust I know I"m going to make it just makes me feel instantly happier about it and also more pleasant to do any mechanical jobs
OMG U OK HUN?
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

CLINT wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:11 pm I disagree. With any restoration, I just do whatever I feel like. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something. You don't want it owning you, it's meant to be the other way around. I always start with a really thorough clean, inside and out. Despite all the dust I know I"m going to make it just makes me feel instantly happier about it and also more pleasant to do any mechanical jobs
Its funny you say that even though its so stripped out now it feels so much more fresh most of the stuff I have removed from it has take its own nasty aroma away from it.

I think ive lost my Mojo as a year on it doesnt realy look any different :(

Done soo much work but its all hidden :roll:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

8BAK465 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm Interior trim paint the problem was because of California Sun and UV every single bit of trim was different
Do you honestly believe American interior trim needs UV for this?
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Junkman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 pm
8BAK465 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm Interior trim paint the problem was because of California Sun and UV every single bit of trim was different
Do you honestly believe American interior trim needs UV for this?
I thought thats what caused it because bits that were hidden hadnt changed whereas those in direct sunlight had.................

Either way Im using vinyl now as a guide rather than the plastics
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Worst Fear has been Confirmed my Transmission has to be rebuilt :cry:

Prop balancing place said it wasnt worth them doing the prop until the trans has been done as it looks like there been back forth movement on the tailshaft like theres been loots of slop in there :?

Theres also a chance its the wrong prop :roll:

Guy I bought it from in USA was a Mechanic and we all know about mechanics cars :roll:

My guy can get the box out and on a palet and sent off i just need to find somebody to do it who is reasonable.

So hes going to be a scruffy little shit for longer and I am going to be Bancrupt forever!

What an ungrateful little turd Shitey is!
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

CLINT wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:11 pm I disagree. With any restoration, I just do whatever I feel like. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something. You don't want it owning you, it's meant to be the other way around. I always start with a really thorough clean, inside and out. Despite all the dust I know I"m going to make it just makes me feel instantly happier about it and also more pleasant to do any mechanical jobs
I don't think there is any right or wrong way to go about it, but almost every month Jo seems to loose all motivation and wish she'd never bought it. I'd say that indicates the current technique isn't working...
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

captain_70s wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:46 pm
but almost every month Jo seems to loose all motivation and wish she'd never bought it.
Ive never once said I wish I hadnt bought it

Thanks for the vote of confidence

I wont fuckin bother updating this then!
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

8BAK465 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:57 pm Ive never once said I wish I hadnt bought it

Jesus wept. Must you take everything as a personal attack?

I misworded. Regardless you frequently post about how progress on the car disheartens you despite the fact you've come miles since collecting it.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

captain_70s wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:25 pm
8BAK465 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:57 pm Ive never once said I wish I hadnt bought it

Jesus wept. Must you take everything as a personal attack?

I misworded. Regardless you frequently post about how progress on the car disheartens you despite the fact you've come miles since collecting it.
Apologies Im having a really really bad day,no excuse I know but i just went Bang! A bit ike my transmission I guess :roll: