Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Post by 8BAK465 »

captain_70s wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:21 am
8BAK465 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:00 pm im not selling it,I wont sell it but as I said I am broken right now I have nomore to give!

A year on I have done soo much work to it but non of it really shows :cry:
I find if you want to get any real work done on a car you have to:

A - Stockpile all the parts required before starting the work.
B - Take the car off the road for an extended period of time to get the work done.
C - Do jobs as motivation allows.

Trying to keep a car as a rolling restoration only really works if the car is half decent to start with, you have a backup car to use when it is being worked on and parts are easy/cheap to find. 90% of the garbage you end up doing is what ColdWarMotors describes as Shit Work.

If I didn't enjoy working on cars and like the satisfaction of repairing them I'd just buy a decent example of a car to start with. Restoring a car is a thankless task...
I do enjoy it but I like you think I suffer from the same issues nowhere to work inside so the winter months its not really appealing working on it :(

Then we get to this time of the year and we are trying to get everything done while we can juggling work play events :roll:

LOL Car has spent more time off the road than on :lol:

Ive been stockpilling parts but its the stuff you never realised you needed then when you get to them realise they are vital you can never find them :cry:

I wouldnt want a perfect example because

A; Boring

B: Those perfect examples will always need work aswell and at least if you buy less than perfect by the time you reach "Perfect Price" you can say well i know its all been done :mrgreen:

Motivation thats my problem :roll:

Agreed restoring a car is a Thankless Task,though im not 100% certain I am restoring?

Just making good and recommissioning ;)

i think Im just burned out right now..................................
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Just enjoy the unseasonable weather while it lasts.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Junkman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:09 am You need to do some better planning and get more organised. You can't tackle 15 construction sites simultaneously.
The way to restore a car is to start one job and finish it. Then start the next one. And finish it. And so on.
You are doing bodywork, interior work, engine bay work, all at the same time. You can do it this way when you have ten people to work on the car, but not on your own.

These are all the screws you will ever need for the interior: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252409400092

What literature have you hitherto obtained to guide you through the processes?
Cant argue with you there your right

Part of the reason is healthwise theres some bits I just cant do so I have a great mechanic who works for beer money and for the love of unloved underdog merican cars :mrgreen:

But I hate being idle so in between him doing his stuff for me im doing something because I hate doing nothing :cry:

Bodywork

To be fair now the rear fender is stripped down I have a panel beater doing that next month,once its done ill just continue with Matt Blackness for now ;)

Interior is on hold because the panel beater needs access to the rear of the fender so carpet is back out until thats done and the dash needs to come out Again!

I think I might of found a heater box enclosure and pipes from a scrapper so might refurbish those away from the car then just swop them over?

Headliner needs doing I see Interior in this order

Panelbeating completed first
Old headliner glue removed
Dash out heater box and pipes sorted
Door jambs prepped and painted to final future colour
Headliner Fitted in case glue drips on floorpan?
Paint Floorpan and fit new sound deadening
Refit dash
Fit new doorseals (had them months didnt want to do until door jambs were painted
Refit Carpet and seats

There are some other jobs need doing inside car but they are unscrew bits and work on them away from the car and then just screw back in like......................

Rear parcel shelf and door car backings (cut from ply)
All the piller trims need painting but they all unscrew having more trouble finding a suitable near colour :x

One of my biggest issues are the rear quarter cards mine are half plastic and half foam injection moulded and padded the top half are knackered!! warped and cracked to hell and back :(

They all go the same so near impossible to find as everybody wants them!

Mine are like this (but blue and knackered!)

From 76 they went all plastic and these dont warp!

Like these

So for longevity I want 76 onwards quarters they will ruin the whole interior if not replaced and are doing my head in!

Thanks for the screw link Ill get some ordered Its just going to be try them until i find the right ones as soo many are missing!

Driveshaft getting done this week now i need the trans rebuilding too its got issues :roll:

Once they re done mechanically its basically all there :mrgreen:

Its interior and Bodywork then...................

reason I am so burned out is my dad wants to see the car he is partially blind but can see a bit but he is steadily going totally blind its heartbreaking for me so im burning my candles at both ends trying to get it at least clean and mechanically ok for a long journey (they live 200 miles away)

im not impatient but his degenerating eye condition isnt going to wait for me :cry:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

If he just wants to see the car Is there no way he can come to you?

If he can't use public transport you use it and bring him down or hire/borrow a car.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

chadders wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:34 am If he just wants to see the car Is there no way he can come to you?

If he can't use public transport you use it and bring him down or hire/borrow a car.
Mum and Dad are just too frail to travel that far now :cry:

Mum is 86 Dad 87

I accept im not going to be able to "Finish" it (what car is ever finished :lol: ) but want the interior to be nice the car to be mechanically sound and the rear fender dent free :mrgreen:

I want them to see the potential rather than what they see as just a wreck :roll:

Mum is great she sees the potential in everything,dad bless him is a bit of a grump so It needs to be at least at that stage............................
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Speaking as a Dad I'd say fuck seeing the car if it caused my daughter to burn herself out.

If you want them to see the potential photoshop something.

Sorry if I come across as a bit of an arse, my wife tells me this on a regular basis, but maybe you need to reassess your objectives:

" but want the interior to be nice the car to be mechanically sound and the rear fender dent free.

I want them to see the potential rather than what they see as just a wreck"
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

chadders wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:18 am Speaking as a Dad I'd say fuck seeing the car if it caused my daughter to burn herself out.

If you want them to see the potential photoshop something.

Sorry if I come across as a bit of an arse, my wife tells me this on a regular basis, but maybe you need to reassess your objectives:

" but want the interior to be nice the car to be mechanically sound and the rear fender dent free.

I want them to see the potential rather than what they see as just a wreck"
I agree but my Dad is a unique character :lol: Im certainly not going to finish to drive it up there,The Fender Im not doing nor the prop or the transmission so i get a break from it then ;)

In fact I get a break from it today as its of to my Tame Mechanic for the Prop ;)
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

8BAK465 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 am
Junkman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:09 am You need to do some better planning and get more organised. You can't tackle 15 construction sites simultaneously.
The way to restore a car is to start one job and finish it. Then start the next one. And finish it. And so on.
You are doing bodywork, interior work, engine bay work, all at the same time. You can do it this way when you have ten people to work on the car, but not on your own.

These are all the screws you will ever need for the interior: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252409400092

I blame experience.

Also, you have a knack to let everything pertaining your life turn into a problem, or at least you perceive it that way. Cars should be restored for fun. I enjoy myself immensely when doing resto work. I often lost interest in a car once I was finished and flogged it soon afterwards. And yes, my cars were finished when I was finished restoring them.

To start with a car that's easy to restore is the right thing to do, so you did very well here. You also seem to have a good grasp of what you can do and what needs to be outsourced, so that's good.

I hate being idle too, doing things keeps me from mischief. Contrary to you I'm male and what do males do when they are idle?

No idea what your financial situation is, but why not go all the way with the paint now?
The interior needs to be partially stripped anyway for that and the dash out job could be tackled at that time as well.

What does "might of found a heater box enclosure and pipes from a scrapper" even mean? This is a distinct yes/no situation. Is it in front of you at this very moment, is it the correct one (i.e. for an A/C equipped car) and is it even restorable? Because any single one of these factors not met means you don't have one.

The headliner is the last thing to do, also there are ready made ones available. Headliners must be installed in Summer, with the windows closed and a heater blower in the car, while wearing merely speedos. Ok, I grant you a string tanga for obvious reasons.

The floorpan doesn't need to be painted at all and likely never was. It's enough to brush paint it with semi gloss black, if you must, a ten minute job.

The paint for the pillar trims can be mixed. Yes, you can have custom mixed paint in spray cans. Any car paint shop would be able to sort you out there. Besides, they don't have to match 100%. Nothing matched in the Seventies.

Take the rear quarter claddings to an upholsterer. You will be surprised what they can do.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

As I said I get restless,didnt sleep much last night with the heat so got some fresh air first thing to try out a mock fitment.........................

It currently looks like this :?

Blingtastic innit kidz :cry:

The current aftermarket filter sits high and the hood is actually touching the filter spinner :roll:

The stock OEM filter box is huge in comparison but sits over the carb rather than on it ;)

As I understand it whatever they did ford had issues with carb heat soak on the V8 Mustang II simply because the engine bay was never designed for the V8 and the heat build up under there is terrific :twisted:

So the 302 filter box on the II is unique to the II its slung lower and as cold air enters the housing it also keep the area cooler,quite cleaver really ;)

Of course apart from not being a bling believer an open pancake filter in that tight bay is just sucking hot air into the carb :roll:

Theres a few valves and suchlike need removing and blanking off as they were for evaperative air circulation which has now been removed

Thankfully it clears the coil :mrgreen: as we thought that might have to be moved?

However the heater valve is hitting it so its not sitting down level :cry:

And the heater pipe to thermostat housing is too short to move and goes right across where the snorkel mounts :x

But all minor things really ;)

Hopefully when finished it should look a bit like this ?

8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Junkman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:10 pm
8BAK465 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 am

I blame experience.

Also, you have a knack to let everything pertaining your life turn into a problem, or at least you perceive it that way. Cars should be restored for fun. I enjoy myself immensely when doing resto work. I often lost interest in a car once I was finished and flogged it soon afterwards. And yes, my cars were finished when I was finished restoring them.

To start with a car that's easy to restore is the right thing to do, so you did very well here. You also seem to have a good grasp of what you can do and what needs to be outsourced, so that's good.

I hate being idle too, doing things keeps me from mischief. Contrary to you I'm male and what do males do when they are idle?

No idea what your financial situation is, but why not go all the way with the paint now?
The interior needs to be partially stripped anyway for that and the dash out job could be tackled at that time as well.

What does "might of found a heater box enclosure and pipes from a scrapper" even mean? This is a distinct yes/no situation. Is it in front of you at this very moment, is it the correct one (i.e. for an A/C equipped car) and is it even restorable? Because any single one of these factors not met means you don't have one.

The headliner is the last thing to do, also there are ready made ones available. Headliners must be installed in Summer, with the windows closed and a heater blower in the car, while wearing merely speedos. Ok, I grant you a string tanga for obvious reasons.

The floorpan doesn't need to be painted at all and likely never was. It's enough to brush paint it with semi gloss black, if you must, a ten minute job.

The paint for the pillar trims can be mixed. Yes, you can have custom mixed paint in spray cans. Any car paint shop would be able to sort you out there. Besides, they don't have to match 100%. Nothing matched in the Seventies.

Take the rear quarter claddings to an upholsterer. You will be surprised what they can do.
Answers to Questions

Paint can wait but will be painting door jambs so I can fit the new seals as the fixing they use are known to break when you remove them so only want to do it once ;)

Heater box a member in one of the II groups thinks they have them just waiting on details

Headliner have a proper one just sitting in a box waiting to be fitted ;)

Floorpan has surface rust from when heater matrix leaked sometime in its past hence me taking up the original sound deadening so just want to treat and protect.

Im just going to brush it with Black Rustoleum because its what I have and its getting done after the door jambs incase the solvent based paint drit onto it as i know they do like to fight and bubble :lol:

As its under carpet Rusto will surfice and im just putting down some now sound deadening as now its all gone its rather like driving around in an empty oil can :|

Interior trim paint the problem was because of California Sun and UV every single bit of trim was different :x

Ive now decided to use a sample of hidden clean vinyl from inside one of the seats to get a match that works with the seats ;)

Once ive found something that works ill just go with that to paint the lot ;)

Im not sure I want to know what males do when they are idle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rear Quarters a contact in the uk has the hard plastic ones but they have speaker holes and a few cracks but they are not warped.

But that said I have so many bits of interior trim of the same plastic type I could plastic weld the holes and plastic weld the cracks ?

Bit of bumper filler adhesion promotor and plastic filler primer and topcoat and they could look good as new could take the rear quarters to an upholsterer but think I prefer hard plastic items as in the long term they are more durable............

Or I might have another idea ????

But I cant tell you otherwise id have to kill you :lol: