1968 MG Midget

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.

Re: 1968 MG Midget

Post by Guest »

Just pm your address I'll get it in the post.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Freeloader!!!
I bet you never get the beers in either.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Guest wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:19 pm Just pm your address I'll get it in the post.
I've messaged you on AS as the messenger on this forum is a pile of shit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

paulplom wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:23 pm Freeloader!!!
I bet you never get the beers in either.
Tap water is free from most pubs
🤷‍♂️
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

SiC wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:37 pm as the messenger on this forum is a pile of shit.
What do you want for nowt!?
More books?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Welded this outrigger bit

Last bit on the inner arch repair is this section here. I've clamped the inner "out" repair piece on to get an idea of shape and size.

Also welded up some of the bead that had rotted away. To replace this would require removing the whole wing. It could be cut off and filled smooth but these sort of bits make the distinctive shape of a spridget imo. Possibly needs a bit more work to improve this.

Decided to take the front wing off. Mostly as I want to inspect the area for corrosion and help decide if I'm doing the whole sill or not.

Then I got distracted scratching the bonnet paint. Looks like it was painted blue and then another primer coat and blue put over the top. Presumably a blow over at some point in its history. Maybe a major reason why the paint is so fucked now.

Took the light out. Has modern-ish Wipac H4 setups in it.

Took a fair bit of fighting and realising that I missed some bolts. Like this bugger hiding behind the loom.

Wing then slides off. This is actually just taken after cleaning up as I forgot to take a photo directly after.

Actually is pretty good under here.

Also found a fusebox lid, spanner and a nut.

Attacked the area with the fibre pad and wire wheel. Again it looks very clean apart from some pitting. Much better than the other side.

What is nice on the Spridget over the MGB is the ease of access to the pedal and masters. I have replacements for these as at least one leaks and neither is in great condition. As I'll be welding around here, draining all the brake fluid is a good idea. It's incredibly flammable and more so than even petrol.

I also removed that hideous wing mirror. Pulled it apart and broke it. Oh well. In the bin it goes.

Back to why I took the wing off. This rear part of the sill isn't in great condition.

Hitting it with the Eddie Hammer found it solid.

But poking made holes larger.

Cleaning up with the wire wheel didn't make any new holes.

Given the front is okay, I think I may patch this up. Or get a sill and only cut the back end off. Not sure I really want to completely remove and replace this sill.

Incidentally next week will be four months since I first drove it back. It's taken me longer than I hoped as I wanted it done by the summer but tbh I'm not doing too bad for me I guess. One side is pretty much done (needs pin holes sorting and a tiny repair piece on the door jam) and the other side is well under way.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Tonight I decided to finish this rear panel off. There is a slight ridge that needs tapping down and pinholes to fix. I marked out all the holes first, so I could see it through my welding visor.

Then tacked them up

Ground down with my die grinder. Repeat for a few more. Finally hit with a hammer to flatten the ridge. Don't mind if a little too indented as I'll put a skim of filler on here. Just a skim of filler doesn't hide ridges, only indents!

I noticed it was flash rusting in places and I'm not likely to be painting this anytime soon. So I chucked a coat of paint on.

Likewise I put paint on this outrigger piece on the other that will disappear with the outer panel.

The black aerosol felt like it used about a quarter on those two pieces. So not a massive amount. I'm seriously considering maybe painting this myself with cellulose. Might have to be next spring/summer though as the weather will probably start turning before I finish the metalwork.

It's not as if I don't have the Dolomite metalwork to be getting on with after this Midget. Plenty to do there still!
christine

Post by christine »

SiC , i got the last welding bottle they had . SGS 10 litre 5% .I had the £10 extra deposit to pay ,and the gas had gone up as well

It came to £73.18 . but t's lasted a year to the day almost .
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SiC wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:18 pm I'm seriously considering maybe painting this myself
Please don't. It's turning out quite well.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:22 pm
SiC wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:18 pm I'm seriously considering maybe painting this myself
Please don't. It's turning out quite well.
Ah, come on. It's not like he'll attack it with a pot of Dulux Weathershield.