1968 MG Midget

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
cuntbuster

Re: 1968 MG Midget

Post by cuntbuster »

panhard65 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:29 pm I am with the Rev on this, primrose is the way to go. Anything in the history to do with practical spastics is best deleted as the few cars I have owned that were previously owned or featured by them have been bloody awful. Also remember what you are doing now which is putting right the previous "restoration". Change the colour back to original and throw that toilet paper in the bin.
Yeah another one here for primrose, and I will support panhandle65 on this, the magazine feature could be a millstone round your neck possibly even devaluing the car. in fact why not transfer the plate off too to complete the disguise with a nice freshly issued one from doovla.
Who you gonna call
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

If the plate's original (and I cannot remember offhand) I would counter the honourable Mr Buster and implore you to leave it on! You will have enough documented rebuild evidence to support the fact that Practically Scrappers handiwork is now fully undone and put right.

Primrose Yellow deffo the way to go though!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

DodgeRover wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:19 pm
Hooli wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:13 pm Primrose is a lot more yellow from memory, if I'm thinking of the right colour.
Maybe it's the way it's showing on phone screens? Or theres another similar colour..
The one shown earlier looks like beige primer to me. Primrose is a lot brighter & yellower, like a primrose oddly enough.

Primrose.jpg
Primrose.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 20983 times
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Its been 2 years since I bought the Little Regret (TM). Grand plans as always to get stuff done. This week was all booked off work to crack on. Naturally things got in the way. Tiredness and then subsequently a chest infection are my excuses this time. Chest infection isn't the best thing to have when breathing in grinding dust and welding fumes. Yes I do have a respirator and yes I should be wearing it. However its uncomfortable and gets in the way. More bad excuses I know...

This episode is getting this rear panel attached. I lined it all up, ground back the paint on the edges and punched holes around the arch to plug weld.

Then painted the inside of the panel to cover any scratches from when I was moving it in place.

Day after the paint had dried and I lined it up ready

Tacked in place
However the two panels weren't quite flush. I didn't cut off enough between the two panels to quite get them lined up properly

Today I rectified this by running a thin cutting disc along and retacking.
Clamps helped keep the panels in place and aligned. I also used a ruler from a right angle to push against the panel to ensure as best as possible they'd stay flat to each other
Then cleaned up the welds 

I now need to go along and fill all the gaps in with tacks. This is a very slow process as I need to zap the tack then blast with compressed air to stop the panel getting too hot.

Being thin metal, it'd be really easy to put too much heat through and warp the hell out of it. Slow and patience is whats needed - not something I can easily do when I'm in the flow.

This is where a less reputable restoration shop could easily cut corners here by stopping here and just slopping filler all over it. No one would know until it cracked or needed replacing again. But I'm not being paid by the hour on this and I want it done properly. So I'll be back to it in due course and finish it. Hopefully not in another few months (but I'd expect so tbh).
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Why not spot, move on 6", spot, move on 6". By the time you are back to the start it'll be cold anyway? I wouldn't have thought it likely to get enough heat into the panel that way to warp it and it would save mucking about with the compressor.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Even on a large panel like this, that still chucks a huge amount of heat across it. It's the cooling down of the weld into the surrounding panel that buggers things up.

If it wasn't so exposed I wouldn't be so bothered. But this is directly on an eyeline when looking at a car and so a bit more care+time is worth it. Time spent here will be time saved from layers of filler needed to hide it.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Where's your stick of copper bar?

Screenshot_2024-01-06-00-04-01-440_com.google.android.apps.nbu.files-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2024-01-06-00-04-01-440_com.google.android.apps.nbu.files-edit.jpg (106.34 KiB) Viewed 20878 times

I think mine is still in the boot of that Pug...
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I have one on a handle. Fat chance of getting it behind the panels along most of the sections in this.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:59 am I have one on a handle. Fat chance of getting it behind the panels along most of the sections in this.
Can't think of anything more inconvenient and useless than having a handle getting in the way.

Remove said handle?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Handle is so you can hold it behind a panel. Handy if you've blown through and need to patch it up.

I think I've lost all the attachments for it though.
https://www.frost.co.uk/welders-copper-helper-welding/