1968 MG Midget

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
christine

Re: 1968 MG Midget

Post by christine »

If at first you don't SiCeed ! Well played..
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Had this hole to fill. This is the same on the other side where a previous restored made a hole. Not entirely sure why but the old patch of course wasn't welded properly.

Small piece cut to shape.

Weld and grind. Loads of grinding to get the bottom bit a nice curve. This is visible in the door jam so I wanted it looking tidy.

Then paint to protect.

That pretty much finishes this outer side now. Of course still will need filler and paint but that is a job in its own right.

Next bits are welding the floor pans. Even though they have welds, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in them.

These welds need cleaning and redoing while I'm here 

Here too. 

Then the middle needs sorting. Especially the big gaps along the floor and side. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do. Probably fillets and weld. I really don't want to cut the floor off as that's opening myself to a whole world of pain and extra work. 

Then this rear section needs doing.

I'll need to brace the top with some square bar. Also get the doors in to keep it rigid. It's double skinned where a replacement piece has been welded over the top of the original. There shouldn't be a flat section at the bottom either. My replacement panel (which I need to find!) should allow me to cut this whole back piece out from half of the fuel fillet hole downwards and replace it. 

After that it's on the home straight. I'm going to plug weld the passenger side sill as I don't have a whole lot of confidence in those welds. I didn't replace that sill (I wish I had tbh) and the usual case of anything the last restorer touched, I'm doing again. 

Likewise underneath I've found a few suspect welds on patches too. So need to weld underneath. Tbh I'm seriously considering taking the engine, gearbox and diff out. This will allow me to pretty much roll it on its side and give me far better access underneath. Also allows the engine bay to properly be stripped, cleaned and sorted ready for paint. 

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

christine wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:47 pm If at first you don't SiCeed ! Well played..
It's not the best job by any stretch and it just about scrapes into the acceptable category. However I do need to keep moving forward on this project and can't get hung up on getting it perfectly. Especially when later processes like filler should mostly sort it.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Problem is, you're going to have to drill holes in that rear wing to rivet on the side strip clips - and you will need a LOT of filler to get that even remotely straight. I'd be using long screws with nuts and washers.

How much are complete rear wings?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I've just spent £375 on a NOS metal front drivers wing for my Dolomite, which seems good value in comparison considering they're hens teeth.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This is primrose yellow on a '68. Not original paint but probably realistic on how it'll look with today's paints.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1706618644749.jpg
FB_IMG_1706618644749.jpg (377.85 KiB) Viewed 462 times
FB_IMG_1706618649235.jpg
FB_IMG_1706618649235.jpg (363.41 KiB) Viewed 462 times
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Every time I look at this Fred I look at the 'restored' B roadster outside the kitchen window and think "given what I already know about it, how much papier mache is actually holding it together".

I really, really need to sort it, flog it, then sort the BGT out, afterall, moving the MIG welder two foot to sort the hole out in the floor cannot be that hard can it ?