2021 - reckoning up

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 2021 - reckoning up

Post by SiC »

panhard65 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:44 pm
SiC wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:44 pm
panhard65 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:48 pm

No such luck it has had a new fuel line, new filter, new injectors, new rail pressure reg, new high pressure pump and the cunt still plays up. It hunts on tick over but not all the time and it can cut out out if you boot it hard up hill and get the revs over 3k it cuts and puts the red eml on. Ignition cycling gets it going again still at the moment. Any ideas are welcomed I really thought the high pressure pump would of fixed it.
What's the code for?

Maybe needs someone driving it and someone watching/graphing the live data to see what's happening when booted in that scenario.
It puts up a fuel pressure fault code. I think the only thing left is wiring loom. Renault are notorious for shit wiring.
If it was the wiring loom, would it not be more intermittent rather than under specific scenarios (i.e. high load)? I'd have thought a break in a wire or intermittent connector connection would trigger intermittently not just under a high load scenario. Could be high resistance not giving the injectors the power they need but that probably wouldn't leave the fuel rail at a lower than demanded pressure as they wouldn't be using it all from not injecting sufficient.

Can you see the fuel pressure regulator position versus demanded pressure? Just wondering if it's maxing out (flat lining) what it can give on the rail and hence triggering the code.

I mean you're going to be better at this me as it's your day job. Do wonder though if it's some shit/algae in the tank or line to the pump+filter. Is there a coarse pickup screen in the tank?
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I have had the tank out and all is as it should be. The filter housing is one of those silly push fitting jobs. The reason I suspect loom is they give a lot of trouble and it only needs a slightly high or low resistance to make it think the fuel pressure is wrong. I had a megane that would run for 20 seconds then cut out. Turned out it was the loom as on live data the fuel pressure went through the roof and it cut the engine when it said something like 300 bar. I pulled that loom apart and never did find a fault but swapping the loom fixed it. Did I ever say I hate modern fucking cars. When at a standstill even doing it's hunting the live data stays even, it could be it needs a better scope to see the variation though.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

LynehamHerc wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:44 pm
He's also called it a Bentley as it's got some fake Bentley bits on it.
Well they won't be genuine Bentley bits.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

panhard65 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:15 pm I have had the tank out and all is as it should be. The filter housing is one of those silly push fitting jobs. The reason I suspect loom is they give a lot of trouble and it only needs a slightly high or low resistance to make it think the fuel pressure is wrong. I had a megane that would run for 20 seconds then cut out. Turned out it was the loom as on live data the fuel pressure went through the roof and it cut the engine when it said something like 300 bar. I pulled that loom apart and never did find a fault but swapping the loom fixed it. Did I ever say I hate modern fucking cars. When at a standstill even doing it's hunting the live data stays even, it could be it needs a better scope to see the variation though.
Have you considered fitting a Perkins or a Detroit diesel
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

panhard65 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:15 pm When at a standstill even doing it's hunting the live data stays even, it could be it needs a better scope to see the variation though.
The A4 hunted badly at idle when I first had it. It was why my parents got rid as none of the garages they tried could diagnose it (no code).

I could see on a scope, by back probing the rail pressure control valve, that it was sticking and the control loop over reacting as it released. The problem with the live data is that at best you only get a couple of updates a second. Especially if it's older and comms are over k-line rather than CAN. With the valve, it wasn't anywhere near quick enough sample rate over the OBD port to see how it was actually behaving.

When working on them, I've always found Renault to be rather tight with their wiring loom lengths with no real excess. I also know some Renault's are especially prone to breakages on areas where the cables turn a tight radius. Probably because there is no slack for movement and fatigue inside.

Oh and of course the notorious crank sensors that plagued and scrapped so many 2000-era Renault's was not the sensor but the blue connector to it. That one shitty connector must have done so much damage to their reputation completely.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Year begins.
Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDI.
Hilux Surf 3.0 SRX
Toyota Granvia 3.0 4WD
Peugeot 205 STDT

Incoming.
Skoda Octavia 1.9 VRS DSG. Family car, staying till it's broken.
Porsche Boxster S. Broken when bought, fixed, then fucked again.
Another Granvia 3.0, 2WD this time. Bought broken for spares.
Another 205 STDT. Farr less rotten than the other one and a rolling shell only.
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD. Engine donor. No hoper for the road again.

Outgoing.
Audi A4 Avant. Hated the fucking thing, played havoc with my sciatica.
Porsche Boxster S. Sold to webuyanycar still broken, got to know when to fold 'em.
Citroen Xantia. Scrapped after engine removed.

I think that's it for this year.

Running total.

Skoda Octavia.
2 X Granvia.
2X 205 STDT
Hilux Surf.

2 wheels, no changes.
Cagiva Supercity 125
Ten10 big wheel pit bike
Honda PXR50
Atala Califonne 50
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Start :

1968 VW T2
1974 MGB stuck in local garage due to Covid
2013 Skoda Roomster

End:

The same except the MGB has been released from captivity and is now being regularly used.

Next year hopefully they'll be joined by a 4 seat convertible now the missus has semi forgotten the cost of getting the MG back on the road and foreign holidays are probably still verboten.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Had to look through my pictures to figure this one.

Year start
2010 Audi A4
2002 Renault Clio 172
2000 Porsche Boxster
1985 BMW E28 520i (but not quite received)
1974 MGB GT
1973 Dolomite Sprint
1968 Austin 1100

Incoming
1957* Morris Minor 1000
2004 Mini Cooper S
2005 Skoda Fabia
1968 MG Midget

Outgoing
2002 Clio 172 - Made a decent amount on this and got a go in one before they're now rapidly rising in price
1968 Austin 1100 - Regret selling this but I'd agreed to Mrs SiC that I would if I got the BMW
1985 BMW E30 520i - I was massively looking forward to this as thought shark nose Beemers look great. Unfortunately just didn't excite me anywhere near enough
2004 Mini Cooper S - Was great fun and an ace car ... while it lasted. 1k miles later the clutch started slipping so got rid as the Fabia does everything it did but with less problems.

Year end
2010 Audi A4 - At 210k now and starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Holding out till used cars become more sensibly priced again.
2005 Skoda Fabia - I hate this car but also like it as I don't have to give a shit about it. Basically a local runaround that I can park anywhere and chuck into hedges on back lanes when passing tight spots. Will go too, once used car prices are more sensible.
2000 Porsche Boxster - had a bit of expenditure when the roof split and will need some more soon on the suspension. Not going to be cheap :/
1974 MGB GT - this isn't going anywhere but could do with some welding and light rebuild.
1973 Dolomite Sprint - lost some enthusiasm as the amount of work increases but making slow progress. Blocking up the garage though so may checkpoint it once I've got one side done and put into storage. Too many have said I won't complete it for me to sell it.
1968 MG Midget - been after one for ages and now the time is right. Not seen so hopefully not a turd. Really don't have time for another major project.
1957* Morris Minor 1000 - cheap fun and distraction project from the Dolomite. Pretty much roadworthy now but probably need to go next year. Not least a mate pointed out that I'm at risk of those car hoarders that TV programs are made about.

I don't think I've forgotten any? Far more than I realised though. Don't like these threads as it reminds me I have a problem.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Mine is nice & simple compared to you lot.

Started with -
XJR
GSX14
Triumph Bonnie, in the kitchen

Ended the year with -
XJR
GSX14
Triumph Bonnie, in the kitchen
Triumph Sprint GT
Honda Hornet
Private signature, do not read
Kiltox

Post by Kiltox »

SiC wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:13 pm Had to look through my pictures to figure this one.

Year start
2010 Audi A4
2002 Renault Clio 172
2000 Porsche Boxster
1985 BMW E28 520i (but not quite received)
1974 MGB GT
1973 Dolomite Sprint
1968 Austin 1100

Incoming
1957* Morris Minor 1000
2004 Mini Cooper S
2005 Skoda Fabia
1968 MG Midget

Outgoing
2002 Clio 172 - Made a decent amount on this and got a go in one before they're now rapidly rising in price
1968 Austin 1100 - Regret selling this but I'd agreed to Mrs SiC that I would if I got the BMW
1985 BMW E30 520i - I was massively looking forward to this as thought shark nose Beemers look great. Unfortunately just didn't excite me anywhere near enough
2004 Mini Cooper S - Was great fun and an ace car ... while it lasted. 1k miles later the clutch started slipping so got rid as the Fabia does everything it did but with less problems.

Year end
2010 Audi A4 - At 210k now and starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Holding out till used cars become more sensibly priced again.
2005 Skoda Fabia - I hate this car but also like it as I don't have to give a shit about it. Basically a local runaround that I can park anywhere and chuck into hedges on back lanes when passing tight spots. Will go too, once used car prices are more sensible.
2000 Porsche Boxster - had a bit of expenditure when the roof split and will need some more soon on the suspension. Not going to be cheap :/
1974 MGB GT - this isn't going anywhere but could do with some welding and light rebuild.
1973 Dolomite Sprint - lost some enthusiasm as the amount of work increases but making slow progress. Blocking up the garage though so may checkpoint it once I've got one side done and put into storage. Too many have said I won't complete it for me to sell it.
1968 MG Midget - been after one for ages and now the time is right. Not seen so hopefully not a turd. Really don't have time for another major project.
1957* Morris Minor 1000 - cheap fun and distraction project from the Dolomite. Pretty much roadworthy now but probably need to go next year. Not least a mate pointed out that I'm at risk of those car hoarders that TV programs are made about.

I don't think I've forgotten any? Far more than I realised though. Don't like these threads as it reminds me I have a problem.
I’ll be massively disappointed if you don’t get 300k out of that Audi. Do you reckon it won’t keep going without some proper expenditure?