Cars that I thought would be shit but weren't.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Re: Cars that I thought would be shit but weren't.

Post by CLINT »

Ah yes Panda there is another that surprised me. I had an one on an F plate I think. It has the FIRE engine. What a great little car. Really did think that one would be rubbish but that engine was superb
OMG U OK HUN?
Sri05

Post by Sri05 »

CLINT wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:07 pm Ah yes Panda there is another that surprised me. I had an one on an F plate I think. It has the FIRE engine. What a great little car. Really did think that one would be rubbish but that engine was superb
It was a 1.4 FIRE engine in the 100hp which was also used in the Punto of the time I believe. Really suited the car well. A turbo version would have been hilarious, it's a pity they never done an Abarth model
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

My last two cars ... In-fact going by my past cat history, if it seems that a proportion of people think a particular car is shit, I end up buying one. Even if I don't like them (e.g. Saab 9-3, Audi TT, etc)

Audi TT MK2
Boring car but incredibly competent and being a reasonably proficient road sports car

MGB GT
Everyone says they're a pile of shit. Well compared to modern cars they are of course and on the motorway they are not great. However they're pretty fun to drive on a-roads and b-roads. Suspension that actually soaks up rough roads. Performance is better than I expected and very perfectly capable of overtaking modern 30-40mph bimbbling/old biddy traffic in NSL zones without danger.
quietside

Post by quietside »

Yes on the MGB GT, but they still bore me shitless.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Cavalier 1.7td with the Isuzu engine.

A pretty good motorway cruiser and family car, which is what I needed at the time.
Not a patch on the mark2 Golf GTi that preceded it but after having a bust up with the finance director I was lucky that it had 4 wheels.
Sri05

Post by Sri05 »

chadders wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:44 pm Cavalier 1.7td with the Isuzu engine.

A pretty good motorway cruiser and family car, which is what I needed at the time.
Not a patch on the mark2 Golf GTi that preceded it but after having a bust up with the finance director I was lucky that it had 4 wheels.
Vauxhall used those 1.7 lumps for a fair old while did they not ? I had an 05 plate Astra that had one of those engines in it
Cruiser45

Post by Cruiser45 »

my panda was the worst car ive ever owned.maybe my hope of it being good compounded things
Park your ass in Fibreglass
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

This was in 1992 so they certainly had a long life if they were still in 05 plate cars.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

05 plated astra would be the cdti engine with 16v and around 100bhp minimum. Joint venture with another manufacturer maybe? The GM and Isuzu was a different engine altogether.
Sri05

Post by Sri05 »

bub2006 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:42 pm 05 plated astra would be the cdti engine with 16v and around 100bhp minimum. Joint venture with another manufacturer maybe? The GM and Isuzu was a different engine altogether.
This was a very late Astra G, I'm certain it was the Isuzu engine, could be wrong though!