Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by Warren t claim »

Hooli wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:46 pm I test rode a SV650 tonight, I don't want one but helping a mate look for a bike & she's not very mechanically minded.

They are fun little things, so damn light & flicky with decent torque & a lovely engine note. I still don't like clip-ons though, first time I've ridden anything with them since 2007 & I think I'll leave it as long again.
When I was instructing about half our lady learners were buying SV650s after they passed their tests. Needless to say, I collected a few from the dealers on their behalf. I found them to be VERY light at the front end meaning power wheelies were dead easy and they were great accelerating out of a corner. Killswitch backfires were amusing too. If I was a female or a homosexual I'd seriously consider one as my first big bike.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

I'm not gay or owt, but ideal despatch tool.

DSCF0001 by E Honda, on Flickr
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Eddie Honda wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:01 am I'm not gay or owt, but ideal despatch tool.

DSCF0001 by E Honda, on Flickr
What the hell is holding that top box to the pilly seat?
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

I've seen some pretty unusual shit being used for Deliveroo/Uber Eats around here lately.

The highlights include a BMW 1200GS, a Yamaha Virago 1100 and an R6.
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Warren t claim wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:09 am What the hell is holding that top box to the pilly seat?
Eddie Honda patented NoRack™ system.

Buy a quality used pillion seat from a breakers. Insert block of wood between foam and cover to give it enough lift over the grab handle. Find some bolts long enough to go all the way through to the plastic underside of the pillion seat. Drill holes for bolts and tighten up with some Nylocs.

Keep original seat for use with pillions and just use the key to release pillion seat to swap around.

It's almost as good as the (late) Dick Morrison MegaBox™ system on my old GT550 which involved ½" square box tubing and old gudgeon pins, 20 B&H and some Hammerite.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Eddie Honda wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:56 am
Warren t claim wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:09 am What the hell is holding that top box to the pilly seat?
Eddie Honda patented NoRack™ system.

Buy a quality used pillion seat from a breakers. Insert block of wood between foam and cover to give it enough lift over the grab handle. Find some bolts long enough to go all the way through to the plastic underside of the pillion seat. Drill holes for bolts and tighten up with some Nylocs.

Keep original seat for use with pillions and just use the key to release pillion seat to swap around.

It's almost as good as the (late) Dick Morrison MegaBox™ system on my old GT550 which involved ½" square box tubing and old gudgeon pins, 20 B&H and some Hammerite.
The Kawasaki GT550 came with a standard rack didn't it?
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Yeah, it it was fuck all use to attach a Keith Gold 65 litre size 5 top box like above. So it got sacked off.

GT550G4 by E Honda, on Flickr

Gold Size 5 top box (2 helmets) is the same as that on the Suzuki. But fitted to the revised bar which goes from original front rack holes, but has no rear platform. The box is fitted at 90 degrees to normal and most hangs over the back seat and two bolts attach it to the new grab handle. If a pillion is carried, the two bolts are undone and the box flipped to hang out in the wind (keeping it light) and no fat-arsed burds are abled to be carried due to the limited width between the pannier tops.

Even with all that GRP at the back it wasn't too bad through traffic, if you could get that melted bus shelter up front through a gap the rest would follow.

High speed weave would start at about 105 on the clock if heavily laden.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Eddie Honda wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:46 am Yeah, it it was fuck all use to attach a Keith Gold 65 litre size 5 top box like above. So it got sacked off.

GT550G4 by E Honda, on Flickr

Gold Size 5 top box (2 helmets) is the same as that on the Suzuki. But fitted to the revised bar which goes from original front rack holes, but has no rear platform. The box is fitted at 90 degrees to normal and most hangs over the back seat and two bolts attach it to the new grab handle. If a pillion is carried, the two bolts are undone and the box flipped to hang out in the wind (keeping it light) and no fat-arsed burds are abled to be carried due to the limited width between the pannier tops.

Even with all that GRP at the back it wasn't too bad through traffic, if you could get that melted bus shelter up front through a gap the rest would follow.

High speed weave would start at about 105 on the clock if heavily laden.
Fucking hell! Wouldn't a 750 have been a better bet? I sort of liked my GT550 instructor bike but although it was reliable, bits fell off it on a weekly basis.
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Had two of those as well E99 YUR and L487 ULT.

Better front brakes on the 750, but pointless disc on the rear - once had to chemical metal up a rear master cylinder because "back order to Japan m8" 8 week wait for a new one. I used to work Central London on a 750 and it was brake pads every 6 weeks (obviously no sucking the controller's cock hard enough to get loads of distance work)
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Our paths have probably crossed Eddie. I was on circuit for years before Limobike. Mainly for Speed Couriers then Gough Wallace (fantastic company). Your 550 looks familiar. I used to, and still did up till the Chinese disease, stand by at Great Marlborough St or mostly Smithfield market. Ferrari’s cafe or the Smithfield cafe.