Austin A70 Hampshire

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Re: Austin A70 Hampshire

Post by angrydicky »

Are there no other “yoof’s” on here then? I think the Squire is about the same age as me, and he’s more sensible as he doesn’t take on basket cases like this one. Well his traveller needed quite a lot of work but it’s a Minor, you can get every part off the shelf. A lot of people have never heard of an Austin Hampshire. They’re quite obscure nowadays.
captain_cal

Post by captain_cal »

I'm 28 but afraid that 1950s porridge doesn't really appeal to me as an ownership prospect (except Land-Rovers). Maybe a 1950s sports saloon? These are pretty old things and suitably rakish for my caddish ways.
Attachments
1 AC 2-Litre.jpg
1 AC 2-Litre.jpg (96.73 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

I'm 29. More of a fan of Morris's offerings from that era, though I do like the Somerset and A30/35.

The dream would be a Wolseley 6/90 or Riley RM.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

I’m 30. Love British porridge! Although I would argue the Hampshire is far less porridgey than cars like Ford Populars and Standard Eights. They had pretty good performance for the era.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I'm 35, so what the marketing people term as a "Analogue Millennial" I believe. I.e. a Millennial that knows a time before the internet and apparently more likely to make a phone call rather than all online.

I like porridge but as a ownership prospect I struggle, so have to find something interesting about it. Like my Moggie has a Midget engine and Marina disc brakes rather than a humdrum 948cc.

Is my MGB porridge (likewise Midget/Spitfire)? I know my neighbour (who doesn't know too much about cars, especially modern) likes it as she thought it was an aspirational sporty car that people could realistically afford.

Either way, I don't really remember cars before 1990s and only really took real interest when I learning to drive and passed my test in 2003. Before then it was planes for me - still is, but they're an order of more magnitude expensive ownership prospect than cars.

So basically anything that was a common sight pre 90s I have almost zero recollection on. Pre 00s some recollection. Hence most pre-80s British cars to me I both find fascinating and of another era that I can only learn about.

Don't forget when we (Millennials) were growing up, the British car industry was basically Jags/Range Rover/RR/Bentley bring expensive cars, LR as farmer cars and that left Rover. Maybe your auntie had a clapped out Austin Metro or similar. Rover was never cool. Then MG came back in fore and they were cool. I don't know about anyone else but the MG ZR was a cool car to have however your parents told you was a load of unreliable crap. Likewise I always got told all old British cars were a pile of junk, not only from parents/relatives but also bosses and the like. I still really wanted a MG BGT or GT6/Spitfire though when I passed my test...

Sporty 60s cars are my favourite, along with some 70s. I usually go for 70s cars as they are the same thing but cheaper, as less desirable because long in the tooth by then. Not too much takes my interest in the 50s as either it's postwar porridge or anything that is interesting is way out of my price brackets now. I'd dig a A35 though. Would also like to have something pre-war eventually too.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

SiC wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:48 pm Likewise I always got told all old British cars were a pile of junk, not only from parents/relatives but also bosses and the like. I still really wanted a MG BGT or GT6/Spitfire though when I passed my test...
I’m the other way to most, I love old family cars but sports cars (with a handful of exceptions) bore me.
It infuriates me in this country how so many people slag off our motor industry and achievements. Meaning there are generations of people growing up today who hear nothing but negativity about British cars and believe all this bullshit.
Pisses me right off to be honest.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Reminds me that I had this comment on my MM video yesterday
Screenshot_20210903-130716.png
Screenshot_20210903-130716.png (361.92 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

What a retard.
(Just remembered you can say that here!)
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I'm in my early 20s in my mind sadly my body is nearing 50, I would like to upgrade it to one that doesn't hurt when possible.

SiC is he suggesting you play the piano whilst singing a rust prevention song to it? Have you thought about a period supercharger?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Not sure what measurements you wanted on these rear arch panels but here are a few arbitrary ones I've just done. Most of these are high res images, so you should be able to zoom in on them.

This is the measurement across the circumference of the lip. (Add a metre to it)