What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Nibblet

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Nibblet »

I have organised/considered fuck all this year in terms of steam fayres, car rallies. Lost interest really, need my car mojo lifted.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

It was the first time I have been to this one and it was a good day out. I did have to book in advance but there was no entrance fee for exhibiting which is getting a bit rare now. So many events are charging exhibitors entry fees it is nice to go somewhere and feel appreciated.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 (for sale)
2010 Skoda Felica tdi (for sale)
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Aye, it is a good show and I found the organisers to be nice people. We used to pay nothing to show the Portafold and sleep in it on-site instead of in the next field or whatever - you can't camp anywhere for three nights for less than a ton these days. Certainly not in the middle of an interesting show, anyway.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Nibblet wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:00 pm I have organised/considered fuck all this year in terms of steam fayres, car rallies. Lost interest really, need my car mojo lifted.
Likewise. Selling the caravan instantly barred us from three or four of our annual events simply because it was an exhibit that allowed us to sleep on-site. I'm not interested in displaying the T25 nor the Minor and have generally become pretty apathetic about the whole thing to be honest. Continually shit weather isn't helping and to be honest I'd rather be sinking a few pints with mates at a rock and roll do than anything else at the weekends.

I have entered the Cowley in a local fete for the Jubilee weekend as I don't fancy getting amongst the traffic but that's about it.

I really used to believe I would never tire of car shows, steam rallies and the like but they largely bore me to tears now. 90 percent of it seems to be about keeping kids entertained and creaming money off the parents. Too many dogs usually too.

TL:DR #boringoldcunt
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Great thing about the MGB is that it gets you free into shows but it's not interesting to most and thus not have people putting their hands all over it. Only shows that I can leave on my own accord interest me though. Cba waiting till like 4pm+ before I can leave. Usually an hour or two at a show is enough to see everything without getting bored.

I was around Yeovil way today but didn't see any mention of that show. Shame as we'd have gone.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

I've always just fucked off anyway when I've felt like it. Quite amusing leaving some grumpy old marshall twat in a cloud of dust and bits of straw!
A couple of times I'd be waylaid by a self appointed sheriff only to wave and just drive past, nothing came of it.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

SiC wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:20 pm Only shows that I can leave on my own accord interest me though. Cba waiting till like 4pm+ before I can leave. Usually an hour or two at a show is enough to see everything without getting bored.

What he said. I hate being locked into a show for hours on end.
I went to the boot sale at Stonham Barns Sunday, took the P6 as it needed a run. Upon arriving it became clear there was a classic car event on next door and the bloke on the gate asked me which I wanted to go to. I said I had no idea there was an event on and I had come for the boot sale, so in I went.
I did think briefly about going to the show but I watched the attendees roll in and it was all American cars and hotrods with superchargers climbing out of the bonnets, you know the sort of thing. Didn’t see any standard cars at all, so I decided to give it a miss. There’s only one thing worse than being stuck in a show for hours on end and that’s being stuck in a show with a load of cars you’re not interested in.
The really battered L reg Rover 600 was there again. Had another chat with the owner who is still determined to keep it on the road. We exchanged numbers and I have already pointed him towards a scrapyard that has two in for breaking, he needs a drivers seat urgently as it’s completely collapsed and leaning right over, I can’t believe he had driven 30 miles or so from Clacton like that.
I also can’t believe it got through the last few mots as the rear arches (both outer and inner) have great gaping holes at the bottom and although it has sill covers hiding some of it, the rot will be fairly extensive behind there.
He must have a very friendly mot tester as there isn’t even any mention of it on the last few mots.
Nice bloke though. I don’t know if he’s really an enthusiast as such but just someone who’s had the car a long time and it’s proved an excellent workhorse, so he wants to keep it on the road come what may.
He reminds me a bit of the previous owner of the Sierra base in that regard, although I would say the Sierra was better looked after. There’s not a straight panel on this thing. The interior looked knackered too, although being such an early car it does have a non-airbag steering wheel!
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I did briefly ponder booking the Chrysler into a show down here this month actually......My mate Chris who owned the car always exhibited there with one or other of his Yanks and it would have made a nice little epitaph as he never got to take the LHS there. I tried to get a late booking as they closed it off sometime after Christmas but the computer said NO.

Meh, at least I got an extra month on SORN as I would have had to tax it again for May otherwise. Won't be using it again this summer as we will be dossing in the van and enjoying salt-free roads in the Morrises.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

After many months of procrastination I decided to fit a replacement bonnet hinge to the Cowley that I got from the Club spares fella. It is even more pitted than what is on there but does appear to have a lot less play in the hinge pin. This has been causing a rattle on the bonnet since I've had the car and I finally thought enough was enough.....

Job went well enough - unlike on a Minor you can access the scuttle-side two nuts without a four-ring boxing bout with the glovebox liners up under the dash. A stout piece of timber kept the bonnet steady whilst I undid the under-bonnet ones. Only one stud sheared which was no bother as the hinge is pretty much scrap - the tunnel for the hinge pin is well ovalled now.

Lining everything back up I realised that some of the problem was likely at the catch end - there is scope for some adjustment there which I duly took up. Several times.....

Test drive and there is still a rattle in evidence, not as bad but annoying. The bonnet is definitely a bit distorted for some reason but as it is well mounted that shouldn't be a problem if the catch is doing its thing. I started to undo the hinge again to see if there was scope for any additional packing under it. That's when I noticed the 3/8 drive extension bar nestled neatly in the bonnet flange......

Re-adjusted the bloody catch and called it a day.....
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

xtriple wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:58 pm Clambered under the back of the Jaag to check out the condition of the rear subframe, because I am paranoid after the SLK ad because it is a known weak spot on them. Never been mentioned on any MOT but I had to look...
What was the outcome of the SLK subframe? I ask because ours needs one.