What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Hooli »

It was the back of a Minivan & sat on the original front seats (not bolted down or anything) with two dogs to share the space for me.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

They don't know they're born these days with their own seat belts and shit.
I did pick up four mates from Alnwick after a night on the piss in a C reg metro van. There was a cop car next to where I was parked and I asked him if three mates would be okay in the back of my van. He said yes just get the fuckers out of here.
Around 1991.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

SubPar wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:42 pm
Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:35 pm
SiC wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:08 am Lack of seatbelts was probably the biggest issue with driving it. Apart from wanting to naturally put one on as I sit down in a car, they do have practical benefits when driving. Mostly for when you go around a corner to find a Q7 driving down the middle of the road, so you brake hard and then find your wife is then propelled towards the dash. I guess such things like having your wife going through the windscreen when just braking to prevent a collision weren't so much a concern in the 60s...!
You kids never developed seat gripping arse cheeks, that's the issue.
I spent many a joyous afternoon in my childhood bracing myself against the opposite wheel arch while sat otherwise unrestrained on the sideways benches in the back of a series Land Rover...
Pah as a youngster we got to play sit on a loose 4 legged stool in the back of various vans if the wheel arch had a rib running along it which made it uncomfortable to sit on. Riding stood on the check chains of the tractor or balanced on the axle learning on the mudguard, or even shock horror riding on top of the load on the trailer are all joys the youth of today will likely never experience.
Last edited by DodgeRover on Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Three of us used to regularly go from Leeds to the Lakes for the day in my MGB , with one of my mates, who wasn't a small bloke, sat on the rear shelf by the folded down hood.

I also bought my dad back from Manchester Airport with him sat there, my mam was in the passenger seat. He wasn't exactly a waif either. It took him a while to warm up when we got home as we came back via the M62.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

LynehamHerc wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:12 pm Three of us used to regularly go from Leeds to the Lakes for the day in my MGB , with one of my mates, who wasn't a small bloke, sat on the rear shelf by the folded down hood.

I also bought my dad back from Manchester Airport with him sat there, my mam was in the passenger seat. He wasn't exactly a waif either. It took him a while to warm up when we got home as we came back via the M62.
We used to ride there as well when my dad had restored a roadster, we used to have a foam pad that was specially shaped to fit there though.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

No such luxuries for my passengers.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

paulplom wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:03 pm They don't know they're born these days with their own seat belts and shit.
I did pick up four mates from Alnwick after a night on the piss in a C reg metro van. There was a cop car next to where I was parked and I asked him if three mates would be okay in the back of my van. He said yes just get the fuckers out of here.
Around 1991.
Amateur.

In 1992 I had to fit 4 mates in the back of the Regal. A group of us went camping with some burds also taking another car up , but there was a wee bit of an issue and I had to take one of the burds back home, so I had an extra passenger.

And no, you can't get four in the back of a Regal saloon. You have to have the last one sort of half in the back and half in the front.

My mate with the bambino 500 took his nephews out in it one time and they were falling about the back seat as they hadn't developed grippy arse cheeks either.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Reminds me of my mate Big Chris. We and another mate went to Nottingham for his stag do in my metro convertible. He was so big he had to sit in the back seat sideways with the roof down. The big smile on his face as we left was still frozen on for an hour after we got there. His shoulders and head were above windscreen height. 90-100mph for three hours or so.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

How the fuck are we all still alive?

(Obviously assuming this forum is not Purgatory which judging by some of Hoolis jokes it may well be)
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

We've had three blokes in the back of the 107 a few times.