What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bub2006 »

My car made it onto the small screen

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Nice to see a Focus MK1 without clouded up headlights. Makes a car look so much fresher when they're clear and clean.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

SiC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:02 pm Nice to see a Focus MK1 without clouded up headlights. Makes a car look so much fresher when they're clear and clean.
The entire car is clean to be fair. I'm meticulous with maintenance and I also clean it at least once a week when salt on roads and at least once a fortnight any other time
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

It is, amazingly for Bub, a rather good example.
Private signature, do not read
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

Like panhard and SIC I also went to a classic car show, this one held by the Boston Classic Car Club. Entry is free for those exhibiting their pride and joy. Not a bad turnout with some nice vehicles but it was too hot for me to wander about taking photos so sue me. The Impala didn't miss a beat though so that's good. One of the nice things was a little lad, couldn't have been more than 3yo and he instantly recognised my car as being the same as the one known as Ramone in the Cars films. I let him get in and he was very happy to do so, also points to his dad for not letting him get carried away and keeping him under control. When they moved on the boy kept saying 'bye Ramone' which was sweet. No points for the bloke next to me though, nice enough chap but he was smoking roll ups all day and when he left he just threw the last one onto the grass. Sigh, has he not noticed how dry grass and smouldering fags lead to fucking fires? Thus I did my duty and put the bloody thing out. Amazing how stupid people are ain't it?
64A60

Post by 64A60 »

I also attended a Classic Car Show on a local village green today. Sadly it did remind me about why I avoid them nowadays with no end of screaming kids charging around and people with seemingly no knowledge of old cars spouting crap and leaning on vehicles for photos to go on social media. Finally managed to see a 1920's Bean in the flesh though.
IMG_4036.JPG
IMG_4036.JPG (706.51 KiB) Viewed 656 times
I was approached by this Chap as he took a keen interest in the Middlesex registration on my A60. Turns out he is Roger Bunting, who was a salesman in the mid 60's at Buntings of Harrow Austin Dealers where my Cambridge was supplied new and would have probably sold the car to its first owner in 1964...
IMG_4025.JPG
IMG_4025.JPG (804.02 KiB) Viewed 656 times
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

That's really neat. Nice little thing for its history file.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

64A60 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:26 pm Sadly it did remind me about why I avoid them nowadays with no end of screaming kids charging around and people with seemingly no knowledge of old cars spouting crap and leaning on vehicles for photos to go on social media.
While people leaning on cars is annoying (admittedly I've never seen it at shows around here), people taking interest in old cars is an excellent thing. If that means people sharing it to others on social media (bare in mind this forum is technically social media), then it just spreads the good word.

The personal motor vehicle is taking a right PR hit in recent times and has the potential to become particularly hated. This could easily filter into older cars as they're not exactly clean, efficient or even necessary things to be used.

We have pretty liberal and low regulation on classics. From light paperwork requirements, cheap and easy insurance, pretty much no restrictions (less than many moderns!) and good support in industries to keep them on the road. Especially compared to other countries - including even car heavy USA where some states historic registrations can be quite limiting.

It would be great to keep it that way. That can be helped a lot by having public support for them. Showing cars and having them see them is a good thing.
64A60

Post by 64A60 »

I've no issues with the Shows really, as you say we need to have old cars displayed to the public in a positive light and encourage new people to the hobby. However I just find being stuck in a field or display area with a load of parked cars dull nowadays. I know many people who plan their summers around car events, some have been attending with the same cars for over 20 years and thoroughly enjoy sitting behind them in a camping chair all afternoon listening to stories from joe public.

However they're not to everyone's taste and it seems a few on the Wob who own old cars dislike them too. :lol:

I don't mind the Steam Rallies though- booked in for one next month and hope to do a couple of others in 2023.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I used to enjoy car shows but of late they have become, in my experience, just as described by Mr A60. While I can't argue with what SiC says, a huge positive image of old car ownership also comes from just using them - going to the shops, tip runs, holidays and when I worked taking them there every day too.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......