What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: What did you do today?

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

This had already been done. It was scanned with Tech2 just after it had its first 'no boost' episode where it came back on song just as the DPF regenerated. I had to drive it from Burton On Trent to Sheffield via Derby with about 50 bhp. It was down to 50 mph at one point. A scan revealed that whilst there were no fault codes, the DPF regenerated at the same time the boost made a welcome return. The diesel in oil thing seems to have sorted itself out but it may now be too late for this engine.

The TTiD is a car to avoid. Parts availability is sketchy and despite being a 1.9, it's actually the Insignia engine with the disastrous oil pick up O ring that fails. Most of the ancillaries are Insignia type as well. Whilst the 9-3 has nice seats, it's GM cheapness and Vectra C origins are very obvious. Handling, steering, gearshift are all a million miles from an E90 3 Series. Buyers picked up on that which is why Saab went bust. 9-3 are cheap shitters now so the 120 bhp (no DPF) or 150 TiD cars are a much better idea.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

I bought a fan belt that's too long.

Tried fitting it, found the rain I had measured wrong, damn thing was stuck on the engine mount and not in the pulley groove, all the way at the bottom.

Would've figured this out sooner but everybody has to stop and talk, by the time I got finished the parts store was closed. Ho hum. Tomorrow it is then.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Epilson was co-developed by Saab/GM/Opel, wasn't entirely GM HQ development. They shouldn't have tried to make it sporty when the chassis wasn't really for it. The TTiD was Saabs powertrain division souping up the 1.9 JTD from FPT. I think it only was ever in the 9-3. The 9-5NG (last one) got the 2.0TTiD in the Insignia which was a new design.

The 1.9 diesels were the early days of DPF. The days when they were halfway down the exhaust and never got hot enough a lot of the time to properly regen. The 9-3 I had weirdly didn't have a DPF - despite older and newer versions having them. I believe Saab ran out of supply on them and redid the exhaust system to not have it around 2005 for a year or so.

The 120TiD is disappointingly slow imo. 150TiD much better and more sprightly.

However the 2.0T petrols were way better. Last of the Saab petrols - even if they had a lot of GM involvement at that point.

E90 was a better car but the 9-3 could be had way cheaper as a pre-reg. Also they were massively used in the fleet market, so loads of them ended up coming in through that chain. Depreciation was pretty awful. I know I paid 2.5k for my parents one with (iirc) 110k on the clock at around 5 years old. That is what they were offer part-ex price.

However saying that, the 9-3 is cheaper to repair and plentiful supply of decent cheap parts. Helped by the fact it shared a lot with the Vectra C.

The original 9-5 is probably the last of the "proper" Saabs before they were entirely GM-fied.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

The TTiD is a 1910cc version of the Insignia CDTi 2.0 unit and Saab just used what was available. Plastic inlet manifold, new type EGR and thermostat. The basic engine design is similar to the old 1.9 but nothing interchanges. Finding parts was initially tricky but just order 2.0 CDTi stuff and it fits. The 120 is a single cam 8v and the 150 is the 16v DOHC Vectra C unit.

As a car, the Mark 4 Mondeo is far superior.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Today I said bugger quite loudly when taking the front wheel out of my 14 to get the tyres swapped.
FB_IMG_1611333622305.jpg
FB_IMG_1611333622305.jpg (280.92 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
Thankfully after soaking it in WD40 & ignoring it till I got back with the tyres it came out with mole grips. I was expecting hours of difficulty sorting it & was rather surprised how easy it was sorted.
FB_IMG_1611333614623.jpg
FB_IMG_1611333614623.jpg (225.19 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Now coat its replacement up with copper slip or similar.

If it came out with molegrips then it might be time to replace all of them in case they are beginning to fatigue?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

DodgeRover wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:48 pm Now coat its replacement up with copper slip or similar.

If it came out with molegrips then it might be time to replace all of them in case they are beginning to fatigue?
They all get copper slipped every time & I did replace them all, they look awful & shiney against my nicely patinaed bike.
Private signature, do not read
Alf892

Post by Alf892 »

Hooli wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 pm
DodgeRover wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:48 pm Now coat its replacement up with copper slip or similar.

They all get copper slipped every time & I did replace them all, they look awful & shiney against my nicely patinaed bike.
Isn't copaslip on aloominuminim considered a no no (by some)these days? Higher up the galvanic wotsit or some such.

Or is that the sort of dumb fucker shit that wee wee and tam pax bay would spout?
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:24 pm Fucking Saab. :evil:

This thing has been nothing but trouble from day one. Thankfully, it isn't mine.

JUST when we think it's behaving (i.e not pissing diesel into the sump and then smoking when the oil level is too high) the fucker goes into limp home mode twice in a mile last night, just like it did 2 months ago. That means both turbos out of action. Driving to the garage today to see if it can display a fault code - ANYTHING - to give me a clue why it keeps doing this, it goes into limp home mode again. That's good news as I can get there with the fault actually happening and maybe solve it.

Only, no. The alternator belt tensioner decides to collapse, shredding the belt. Only 1/2 a mile to to go with the alternator light on. I think it's the alternator as the PAS still works. Then, The Noise. With just 500 yards to go I nurse it into the garage and it sounds like ballbearings in a tin as in 'this is fucked'. Sure enough, shredded belt and it looks like the remains could have been dragged into the cambelt and caused the timing to jump and valve/piston contact. More tomorrow but it doesn't look good.

If only they'd asked the dealer with a diary to source a suitable car...
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:32 am The TTiD is a 1910cc version of the Insignia CDTi 2.0 unit and Saab just used what was available. Plastic inlet manifold, new type EGR and thermostat. The basic engine design is similar to the old 1.9 but nothing interchanges. Finding parts was initially tricky but just order 2.0 CDTi stuff and it fits. The 120 is a single cam 8v and the 150 is the 16v DOHC Vectra C unit.

As a car, the Mark 4 Mondeo is far superior.
This is why they went bust. The Swedes just meddled with GM hardware instead of prioritising what needed to done to make a superior car to the Vauxhall equivalent.