What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Arthur Foxhake

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Sat in the Granvia waiting for an MOT. Passed ok last year, has been improved since so hopefully it'll be reet.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Good luck!
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Smoke test passed, bunged a load of veg oil in it on the way here.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

angrydicky wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:29 am B8A7B6C7-B6AE-4759-9536-6D6CF70C94F4.jpeg

Dads been polishing the Minx and it’s coming up well.
He’s tuned up the engine and taken it for a longer run, no issues, it drives well, even at 50mph there’s no wheel wobble and he’s managed to free off the sticking brakes, although I’ve got a reconditioned set of wheel cylinders to put on it when the time comes.
The speedo went up to 20mph on the inaugural run and hasn’t moved since, unsure if it’s the cable or the gauge at fault.
Also, can anyone with experience of these cars tell me if they’re naturally cramped for tall drivers? The bench seat does move back but not enough for either of us to drive it comfortably.
Yeah, they addressed the leg/headroom with the Super Minx.
Still didn't move far enough, I am 5'6" and had the seat nearly all the way back but for me it was comfortable.

Nicer car, 1596 in that if I recall?
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Failed on a tyre and brake pads too low, pads already changed, tyres being done as I type, right next door to the MOT place so should be a pass in a short while.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Arthur Foxhake wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:04 am Sat in the Granvia waiting for an MOT. Passed ok last year, has been improved since so hopefully it'll be reet.
How do you say Granvia?

I got it in my head Granv-ear, like it's from Open All Hours but I figured it could be Gran-veeyer like big road
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

PhilA wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:19 pm
Arthur Foxhake wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:04 am Sat in the Granvia waiting for an MOT. Passed ok last year, has been improved since so hopefully it'll be reet.
How do you say Granvia?

I got it in my head Granv-ear, like it's from Open All Hours but I figured it could be Gran-veeyer like big road
I go with the second one, because I'm from the south east, maybe changes when you go north a bit?

It achieved another year on the road anyway, result.
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

I had recently bought a couple of new rear tyres for my Impala to replace the ones fitted er, about 20 years ago. Bad me. The size I needed is 235/60/15 and it had Pirelli P600 round black things on it which have served me well thus I ordered two more. How much? Bloody hell they're expensive now but the only other option was BF Goodrich Radial TA but they have raised white lettering which don't suit the car thus they would had to be mounted with that on the inside but I would have known and that would have niggled me. So my friendly mechanic tells me of a good tyre place so I bravely set off onto the very dangerous roads of Lincolnshire in a fairly powerful RWD car hoping not to exit a roundabout backwards. Off we go, first twat encountered is a prick in a small type van who bravely potters along at 35-40 on an NSL road. FFS. And of course the wanker turns left at the roundabout, there's a puff of black smoke from the exhaust so I thought he was going to get going but no, back to 35-40. And sitting on the white line thus blocking my view 'cos LHD car. So I drop back a bit, have a look and yep road is clear. Drop down to third, blat past about a foot or two from the van 'cos LHD, I can do that but note that the Chev is pulling sort 80-ish in third, oops. Thence onto the A16 and off we go. Until near the next roundabout and the traffic comes to a grinding halt. FFS. So I decide to turn off and try another route but spot a nice big new modern place to my right, loads of bays, great I'll go there. In I go, tell him I want two tyres fitted, he asks have I made an appointment? No I fucking haven't because I was going to another place but the traffic is fucking shit. Chap says we can do it tomorrow but they are short staffed and flat out thus can't do it now. More FFS. Okay, traffic seems to be moving slightly better so back onto the A16 and eventually see the tyre place, pull in and yep they can do it. 20 quid later sorted so time to go home. Naturally there's traffic queuing outside, equally naturally it being Lincolnshire a couple of drivers ignore me and won't let me out but will of course block my exit. Nice man in a van obliges so off down the road and traffic stops. Of course a Transit pickup has hit a small car up the arse, of course everyone has to gawp at it (it's on the other side of the road). Sigh. Nice lady does say nice car though. So off we go, not too bad now but naturally I am again stuck behind 40mph new SUV twat, naturally when they get to the village 30mph limit they continue at 40. I do 30 but when that limit ends I'm up to 60 until I catch them of course doing 40. Of course at the next roundabout they get into the left lane and turn right without of course indicating, fuck me how do these people get a licence? But I had noticed that there was a BMW behind me which may have been an unmarked plodmobile as it was being driven carefully and it indicated right too so maybe it had noted the twat in front of me. At least I could now have a bit of a blat and then yay home again. I did note though that the road I wanted to take on Sunday as I'm taking the Chev to the Baston show is of course closed. Fucking Lincolnshire all over that is. If anyone on here is attending I'll be the miserable looking bastard with the big black car 8-) . Spurious photo just because I can. Apologies for the long-ish rant/saga.
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG (571.7 KiB) Viewed 860 times
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

If you'd have changed the tyres 5 years ago there would only have been quarter the amount of twats on Lincolnshire roads....!

I swear it gets worse every time I go there. And I'm due again, soon....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

mercrocker wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:40 pm If you'd have changed the tyres 5 years ago there would only have been quarter the amount of twats on Lincolnshire roads....!

I swear it gets worse every time I go there. And I'm due again, soon....
A Merc estate came in with a slow puncture and as my car was being help up by all three of the tyre places jacks he had to wait so we had a chat. He said that he'd had to go to North Wales recently to attend a funeral and could tell immediately when he was back in Lincs due to the state of the roads and the fact that having dual carriageways is madness. I do like living here but when they built the A16 bypass (fairly recently) and knowing that the new road would be heavily used by HGVs and farm vehicles that the powers that be would have dualled it. Then they wonder why there are so many bloody accidents.

Anyway let me know when you're up here and if you want to inspect the model car museum and have a brew etc etc. And if Mrs Rocker would bring homemade cakes (tongue firmly in cheek).