Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by bub2006 »

The ignis is a 1.3 m13 vvt engine. Definitely a clutch cable. I had a suspicion of syncro but I'd have thought it would do it more when it's warmed up when oil is thinner if it was.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

I bought a two door for my daughter with the same engine.
Only drove it a couple of times but it was a bit of a laugh, a bit scrabbly in the wet.

She destroyed both CV joints and smoked in it so it went away on gumtree, this was when you could buy a car with MOT for £300.

Has it got the right gearbox oil in it ?
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

FatherJack wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:21 am I bought a two door for my daughter with the same engine.
Only drove it a couple of times but it was a bit of a laugh, a bit scrabbly in the wet.

She destroyed both CV joints and smoked in it so it went away on gumtree, this was when you could buy a car with MOT for £300.

Has it got the right gearbox oil in it ?
Gearbox oil is at correct level and grade. That was first thing I checked. I agree with traction in wet but still great fun and quite predictable. Engine is low geared so high revving at motorway speeds but around town it loves being revved. I bought mine with mot till march for 500 quid. Two previous owners,last owner had it from 2006 till he shuffled off the mortal coil.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

I didnt say scrabbly was a bad thing!
It was quite refreshing to get that kind of feedback that you are at the limit rather than a waggy finger from a soul less traction control system.

It might be fine, I got 25,000 miles from a scrapyard box in my Galaxy with a crunchy third gear, it might have lasted longer if I had never been in a hurry.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

FatherJack wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:40 pm I didnt say scrabbly was a bad thing!
It was quite refreshing to get that kind of feedback that you are at the limit rather than a waggy finger from a soul less traction control system.

It might be fine, I got 25,000 miles from a scrapyard box in my Galaxy with a crunchy third gear, it might have lasted longer if I had never been in a hurry.
Well from mot March 2020 to when I purchased it on the 13th of October it had only done 1300 odd miles. I've done over 2000 since purchase and it's got no worse.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Hooli wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:09 am
dean36014 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:00 am
Hooli wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:46 am French shit question.....

My mum has gained a C15 Romahome & it turns out to be rotten. Anyone know of a source for front subframes as the one on there isn't savable?
Good luck finding one. Probably easier to buy a van for spares. I'd have a good assessment for rust before going any further. They rust just about anywhere and the welding bill will rocket up. I've had to weld my front subframe as I haven't managed to find a replacement yet
I had a feeling that might be the case, they aren't that common now after all. I think her garage told her it was rotten at the mounting point so difficult to fix.
If she gets stuck I know someone who will probably be up for dropping it and welding it up near Crawley.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

Do any of you own, or have an interest in Jaguar 3.4's ?

I found a well thumbed Jaguar issued A4 workshop manual in some storage boxes this weekend, if it is of direct use to anyone let me know.
Its a bit oily but looks in good order, circa 500 pages.

It will go on Ebay or similar at somepoint.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Seen a Volvo V70 with factory gas for sale locally to me, seller says it needs a power steering pump. It's not leaking or noisy but very heavy to steer, he's no said if there's any assistance at all but that sounds more like a rack fault to me unless there's just no fluid in it?
Anybody got any in-depth knowledge?
Thank you
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:04 am Seen a Volvo V70 with factory gas for sale locally to me, seller says it needs a power steering pump. It's not leaking or noisy but very heavy to steer, he's no said if there's any assistance at all but that sounds more like a rack fault to me unless there's just no fluid in it?
Thank you
Don't they have an E PAS system like the Mk2 Focus?
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Warren t claim wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:35 pm
DodgeRover wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:04 am Seen a Volvo V70 with factory gas for sale locally to me, seller says it needs a power steering pump. It's not leaking or noisy but very heavy to steer, he's no said if there's any assistance at all but that sounds more like a rack fault to me unless there's just no fluid in it?
Thank you
Don't they have an E PAS system like the Mk2 Focus?
Reading up it seems they have an electronic speed adjustment on the steering but not electronic PS.