1951 Pontiac Chieftain

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
PhilA

Re: 1951 Pontiac Chieftain

Post by PhilA »

Hooli wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:34 pm Who'd want that {quiet} with the sound a straight 8 on offer?
That's why I didn't fit a quiet muffler.

It has to actually have a muffler to pass inspection; doesn't implicitly say how effective it has to be. So, that's more or less a straight pipe.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

PhilA wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:22 am People still fabricate stuff here by themselves, or have a local shop do it. This is an area of makers- predominantly welders for the shipyards so the places that stock the metal have learned not to carry recycled Chinesium because they'll get it thrown in their face.
It also goes very much by word of mouth here too. I'm well known around here in general (first, I speak funny, second I try to stop in and be personable and that goes a long way around these parts, third I am on the TV around here quite a lot in commercials for work). So, people I talk to have begun to recommend the people they trust and who trust them. That helps a lot. When I first moved here finding anything was difficult because I didn't really know anybody.

It's all good. Either way I'm happy to have checked that one off the list.

Phil
Sounds a nice place you live in, not at all like the vision thrust at us by the BBC!!
What are you advertising on TV please tell us it is something seedy like bail bonds to balance out the above ;)
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:58 pmSounds a nice place you live in, not at all like the vision thrust at us by the BBC!!
What are you advertising on TV please tell us it is something seedy like bail bonds to balance out the above
Sadly no. Local telecommunications. I work for a little cable internet company.

I'm terms of area, we are rural but it's a little microcosm that grew up separated from the rest of the country to a greater or lesser degree.
20200808_201530.jpg
20200808_201530.jpg (526.95 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
It's not a totally bad place, no.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Virtually all I see on the news about the States are either pictures of people protesting in New York, some airhead in LA jabbering about how unfair the World is or run down properties in Detroit for sale at $1. I guess that it's all about clicks.

It's nice to see a nice area as a realistic contrast.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I've seen only a tiny part of the States, although I did a couple of brief working spells in Manhattan. Been down to Arkansas, upstate NY on the St lawrence and the week I spent in Vegas was largely to escape the fucking place and get out in the desert.

I loved each place (except for LV, although Fremont St. was interesting) and the folk I met were great. There are three things you can't judge a place on - Gubbermint, Telly (inc. "Movies") and Airports.

I had a chance of extending my work placement by a couple of years down in Metairie, LA. Often wonder what I would have done with that opportunity.....Would definitely have got lost in the bayous and scared myself shitless for sure. Should've done it....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

PhilA wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:02 am
DodgeRover wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:58 pmSounds a nice place you live in, not at all like the vision thrust at us by the BBC!!
What are you advertising on TV please tell us it is something seedy like bail bonds to balance out the above
Sadly no. Local telecommunications. I work for a little cable internet company.

I'm terms of area, we are rural but it's a little microcosm that grew up separated from the rest of the country to a greater or lesser degree.

20200808_201530.jpg

It's not a totally bad place, no.

Phil

See, even a small snapshot like that grinds my imagination into overdrive straight away...Highway 51. The legendary N-S highway that led from N'Orlins up toward Michigan - immortalised by bluesman Curtis Jones. I'm going off to get my blues albums......
MLOR

Post by MLOR »

PhilA wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 pm What funny is if I fit a quiet muffler I could make that car almost silent.
There used to be things I knew as "Cut-Offs" that were for Drag Racers to bypass the silencers for racing by pulling a lever inside the car.
Assuming such things still exist and that you would want to, you could have a "Silent" system and a "Noisy" system.

Cruise up to the lights in Silent Running mode, pull lever, get the Full Sound Effects away from the lights :lol:
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:07 pm See, even a small snapshot like that grinds my imagination into overdrive straight away...Highway 51. The legendary N-S highway that led from N'Orlins up toward Michigan - immortalised by bluesman Curtis Jones. I'm going off to get my blues albums......
Granted that's where we went last night- Hammond, which is a nice little place. But, it shares a fair bit of the attitude we have down here. It's generally a polite area.

On the corner there a band was playing, the night was cool (for here, at least) and it was generally a nice night out.

I would have loved to have taken the Chieftain up there. Someone rumbled by in a turquoise and white 1957 Chevy a little bit earlier.
I just finished washing the car though, it was a mosquito massacre...
MLOR wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:20 pmThere used to be things I knew as "Cut-Offs" that were for Drag Racers to bypass the silencers for racing by pulling a lever inside the car.
Assuming such things still exist and that you would want to, you could have a "Silent" system and a "Noisy" system.

Cruise up to the lights in Silent Running mode, pull lever, get the Full Sound Effects away from the lights :lol:
Funny thing, that's as loud as that engine gets, so I'll just keep it that way unless I get fed up of it.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

MLOR wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:20 pm
PhilA wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 pm What funny is if I fit a quiet muffler I could make that car almost silent.
There used to be things I knew as "Cut-Offs" that were for Drag Racers to bypass the silencers for racing by pulling a lever inside the car.

Laughably advertised as being for "Non-Restricted Areas"! Or you could of course just chuck on some lakes pipes and plug them until you were out of Smokeys earshot....
DSC01721.JPG
DSC01721.JPG (497.35 KiB) Viewed 3379 times

DSC01722.JPG
DSC01722.JPG (505.89 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I think that it was Kremer who produced tuned 911s with caps that screwed into the exhausts to make them legal. It was in the late 70s I think, just before the Turbo took off.
There was a very good article in Car about them.