MGB GT fettling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Scruffy's Scrappers

Post by Hooli »

I don't get frog cars at all, they appear to be a collection of stupid inferior ways to solve problems that every other manufacturer doesn't even think about any more. Which results in crap driving, looking, sounding & often uncomfy heaps.

Having said that, if you want to post it carry on. More traffic can't hurt & I'm sure others here will enjoy it.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I'd read the thread.
I've got no specific interest in them but I'd be interested to see how it all pans out and how you get around the inevitable problems.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Hooli. You must have driven some heaps? Mine's comfortable, has a magic carpet ride for a sprung car, is economical, reliable and handles well with really good feedback thru the wheel. Passengers used to far newer motors who don't give a fuck about cars comment on how well it soaks up bumps, potholes and undulations. I much prefer it to that poxy V50 with its harsh ride and stupidly wide A posts blocking your view and asking for an accident. My mate wasn't impressed with the V50 either as it emptied the contents of his rolly* all over his lap yesterday on a rough bit of road. :lol:
Fair enough Chadders. I'll do my best to make sure it at least sees the road again and doesn't get weighed in.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Well the only frog heap I had the misfortune of owning was a Laguna2, enough said really. it drove shite, it fell apart daily, the seats & driving position was crap, the ride was crap and it was thirsty even driven slowly.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Hooli wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:48 am Well the only frog heap I had the misfortune of owning was a Laguna2, enough said really. it drove shite, it fell apart daily, the seats & driving position was crap, the ride was crap and it was thirsty even driven slowly.
Brought that on yourself didn't you :lol:
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:52 am
Hooli wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:48 am Well the only frog heap I had the misfortune of owning was a Laguna2, enough said really. it drove shite, it fell apart daily, the seats & driving position was crap, the ride was crap and it was thirsty even driven slowly.
Brought that on yourself didn't you :lol:
It was inflicted on me, I was given it!
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

60'S 70'S and 80'S French cars are so far ahead of the shit that was coming out of Dagenham and Longbridge at the time. Try a 16TX then say that French cars are shit. The Laguna 2 was pretty much the nail in the coffin for Renault as it was dreadful. 504'S Were such a solid old thing they go on forever which is why most now live in Africa. A mate of mine used to do up the pick ups as there were loads of them sitting in fields round here.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
MLOR

Post by MLOR »

I remember 404 Estates as taxis in Zambia in the 70's with four rows of seats full and more passengers on the roof rack and still room for the chickens.
Peugeot certainly knew how to make tough cars then.

Edit
Here is a bakki still going... just :lol:
[youtube][/youtube]
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

MLOR wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:00 pm I remember 404 Estates as taxis in Zambia in the 70's with four rows of seats full and more passengers on the roof rack and still room for the chickens.
Peugeot certainly knew how to make tough cars then.

Edit
Here is a bakki still going... just :lol:
[youtube][/youtube]
Bild-camels-peugeot.jpg
Bild-camels-peugeot.jpg (35.23 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
They certainly don't seem to mind a bit of weight! https://www.kenyatalk.com/index.php?thr ... ory.58470/

A bearing has turned up and the hub has had a tickle in a lathe to tidy it up. The plan is to get it moved over the next few days and have a look over it, hopefully on a ramp. The bloke with sides for it sadly can only find one and the one he has got has a big rust hole in it, it is however better than the one panel now on the truck. They are very long panels so welding in bits and trying to stop it from warping is going to be very time consuming so I'm trying to avoid it.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Dangel 504 Pickup bits needed. Page 13

Post by mercrocker »

I like old French stuff, it is just the newer rubbish that I can't abide. Having said that the only brand new vehicle I have ever been in charge of was a Renault 4 van which literally fell apart like a clown's car. Nothing ever stopped it, though, and it was a much more useable vehicle than a Mini van which I still regard as a tax dodge and nothing else.

The company I worked for had 504s on the fleet alongside Mk1 Cavaliers and Fiat 131s and if I had to go on a long run to a meeting or whatever I tried to blag a Peugeot just because I loved the way they drove. I can't remember what the base level trim was on the run-out models but it was bloody basic and nobody else wanted them.

It does make me laugh to recall a few of our old neighbours back in the 70s who dipped a toe into "Foreign Car" ownership and slated them off for being tinny - Fiat 124, Renault 10, Simca 1000 come to mind - before running back to the Hillman or Austin dealer two years later to get back into some anti-diluvian car updated with black plastic. And then spending the following two years trying to get the dealers to fix them properly.......
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......