Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2003 E320 & 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI

Post by SiC »

Went to a local cars and coffee this morning. Some extremely nice tin on show - I'll put some photos up later. 
Anyway I glanced at that rear left.
Err yeah I've smoked that. Other side has a reasonable chunk of pads left on it. Absolutely baking hot that side but cool the other.
I can't get a caliper today from GSF, Euros or my local parts place. So I bought some cheap pads and I'll give the caliper piston/sliders a clean up and hope I can get away with it.
Cheapest pads I could buy too. Discs will stay on for now as even though they have obviously got very hot, there is a lot of meat left on them. I'll have a check for warpage but I don't think they're bad going on that it's not an intermittent scrape. Hopefully I haven't quite fully had metal to metal yet. 

If a clean up and new pads doesn't work then I'll have to get in a new caliper. I don't think they're expensive for an eBay special. GSF didn't have any even listed unfortunately. 

Hopefully I can get it sorted today so I can at least use it in this nice weather. Steering is 100% okay too. So must be when the rack gets hot on a long drive. Not checked the tyre pressures yet - just driven the thing. 
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:37 pm
SiC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:32 pm nor would anywhere still make them that would fit.
I think they would. Takata's fucking big bill for starters :lol:

Which reminds me, I must do that passenger side recall one day. The Covid™ fucked all that up.
Well that's different as they were duff and dangerous out of the factory.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

SiC wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:20 pm Now I need to go back out to pick up my Golf GTI from the railway station!
FTFY

Ben
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This'll do. Hopefully 🤞 

If it's the hedgehog then I'm going to need to contact breakers directly. Realoem shows one exists but I'm not 100%. Pelican parts guide on replacing this panel says almost always this panel that is the problem and not the hedgehog on the E85.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240413-185613.png
Screenshot_20240413-185613.png (214.84 KiB) Viewed 175 times
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

To get to the left satellite B Pillar module, everyone online says you need to remove the seat and a whole load of plastic trim. Being a savage I figured most of that was unnecessary. Turns out I was correct.

The foam is wet but not sodden. 

Tbh this is probably less risky as much less brittle plastic to break.

This is a satellite module. Basically it appears there are multiple airbag modules (why BMW??) that are connected together optically and on CAN. Not sure if this fires an airbag as the usual special yellow airbag connector (the one that shorts the pins when disconnected) only has the optical feed but no detonator connected to it. 

Anyway inside looks fine. Connector is dirty though.

I tried cleaning the connector but it's still not playing ball. 

The other airbag modules say it can't see this left module. 

If I try connecting directly to the Left Satellite module, it can't connect to it. Auto detection doesn't see it either.

So it looks like this module may well be dead. But why? Inside looks fine. Presumably it speaks over CAN as well as optical. So that optical transceiver should be fine.

My fear is the loom connector is damaged. I might try sticking the right satellite module (which I know works) into that left side and see what happens. Presumably it won't do stupid stuff but should hopefully tell me communication is okay on that loom connector if it can be seen on the main car network. 

I also need to find a known working replacement of this module. Need to have a gander on RealOEM and see if any other later ones are compatible too. 
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I made the assumption above that these satellite sensor modules have both fibre optic comms and CAN (for diagnostics). However I've found this:
https://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/09 ... ronics.pdf
That details how the system works.

The assumption is wrong. It does all comms through the fibre optic system (Byteflight). Thankfully there is light on the end of the connector so at least that hasn't snapped.

However I strongly suspect the satellite module itself is dead.

I need to find some proper BMW workshop manuals/software so I can diagnose this properly. Ideally I'd have a wiring diagram and pin out for that satellite connector. At least then I can check that power is getting to the right pins on that connector.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Fun* fact. The rear calipers on this are the same as the E46 and Rover 75/MG-ZT. Not sure why GSF don't stock them.

I'm debating whether to be a skinflint by just replacing the one or just do both and be done with it. If I'm bleeding brakes after caliper replacement, I am bit tempted to do both. Don't want to do one and then have the other go soon after. 
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:20 pm However I strongly suspect the satellite module itself is dead.
It's just pining for the fjords.

Want a box of Swan's?
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Post by SiC »

Nah I'm sure it'll try doing itself, it doesn't need any assistance. I mean it's already tried doing that with the rear caliper.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:11 pm Not sure why GSF don't stock them.
Because they are shit?
SiC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:11 pm I'm debating whether to be a skinflint by just replacing the one or just do both and be done with it. If I'm bleeding brakes after caliper replacement, I am bit tempted to do both. Don't want to do one and then have the other go soon after. 
Don't do what I've done. Not be a cheapskate and buy a pair of them, but only get round to fitting one of them (so far - I'm looking across at the box right now which is on the other end of the kitchen table :lol: )