Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread

Post by paulplom »

I had an '08 version new which would've been the new shape. Top spec and a 1.9tdi. I loved it and only got rid as we couldn't fit my daughter's pram in the boot. Gutted at the time. I had to sell my perfect, gold calibra when my son was born because fitting a car seat in the rear knacked your back.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

BusmansHoliday wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:14 pm I've had three of that version of Fabia (albeit diesels) and I've loved them all (bought new), W reg, 03 and 53. The latter was the VRS which my father bought and I bought it of him at 12 months when he fancied a new one. Had that until 2013, commuted 90 miles a day in it!
The drop links can fail for fun, but are cheap enough and easy enough (with an angry grinder) to change.
Steering angle sensors can also be a bit wank as well but again, not difficult to change and don't need programming. Other than that, and a failed passenger door lock motor, regular servicing was all I did.
Enjoy.
Got the fun of drop links tomorrow. I'm hoping to clamp it the ball side with mole grips and then hit the nut side with the rattle gun. These don't look too seized up though so might not be too bad. Probably not that old by the sounds of it!

I don't have traction control on this so possibly not got the steering angle sensor? Unless it uses it for EPAS.

I've got a genuine VCDS VAG-COM so programming isn't a problem if necessary.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

paulplom wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:20 pm I had an '08 version new which would've been the new shape. Top spec and a 1.9tdi. I loved it and only got rid as we couldn't fit my daughter's pram in the boot. Gutted at the time. I had to sell my perfect, gold calibra when my son was born because fitting a car seat in the rear knacked your back.
My BiL wife has the Fabia after. Nice enough place to be and the interior is more modern but definitely more flimsy.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I didn't really keep it long enough to find out. About two years I think.
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

"don't have traction control on this so possibly not got the steering angle sensor? Unless it uses it for EPAS."

They call it the Yaw sensor, it's on the steering column and is accessible by removing the o/s/f wheel and the plastic wheel arch liner.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

BusmansHoliday wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:36 pm "don't have traction control on this so possibly not got the steering angle sensor? Unless it uses it for EPAS."

They call it the Yaw sensor, it's on the steering column and is accessible by removing the o/s/f wheel and the plastic wheel arch liner.
Isn't that going to be the Yaw sensor for the Traction Control? Usually MEMS gyro for rotational measurement of what's actually happening.

Steering angle is usually a position sensor behind/with the stalks to measure the steering wheel position. This is the user demanded positioning that is used with a yaw sensor to determine if the two aren't correlating and thus correction required by the ABS modulator/ECU cutting power.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

paulplom wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:52 pm That's a decent amout of switch blanks ftw.
Had a Google. Full fit is:
Heated seat left, heated seat right, ESP on/off, heated rear window and Passenger airbag disabled LED.

That left one which was never filled. Presumably incase they ever wanted to put a feature in later. Maybe heated front screen? TPMS reset?

Could also simply be parts bin VAG switches and the size of them means there is always one free.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Did the droplink today. Piece of piss to do.
ImageImageImageImageImage

It was buggered.

Clonking now gone when you go over speed bumps.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Something that I didn't realise on this car is just how clean underneath is. Not just no rust but not even dirt. The headlights are also crystal clear too and none of the clouding. I'm pretty certain it was owned by a succession of elderly people that only drove in nice weather and garaged it. Would explain the scuffed body and high clutch bite point.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Plenty of meat left on the brake pads too.

I do think it may need a clutch soon...
Might even get it done because I'm a bit mental.
christine

Post by christine »

Really clean innit ....... :o
Green-Flag-Mar-Food-damaged-cars_ProjectB-1024x667.jpg
Green-Flag-Mar-Food-damaged-cars_ProjectB-1024x667.jpg (136.13 KiB) Viewed 1489 times