Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2003 E320 & 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI

Post by SiC »

While I was in this wheel arch, I attended to a few VAG and TFSI specific items under the wheel arch.

First was cleaning this out. Wasn't actually too grubby. It needs a good clean, dry and paint though. No point treating it in the weather, so it'll have to be a summer job in the future.

Next was ripping this foam out both sides. Apparently VW put this infernal thing in even the 2013+ Mk7 Golfs too.

For those that don't know, this rubs on the inside of the wheel arch and causes the rusty arches you often see on a Golf Mk5. I'm sure there is a good reason it's there but not good enough to make a car last.

(This is the worst side. The other is actually pretty much alright)

Next was inspecting the Diverter Valve. Basically this thing helps control boost. They're a known weak point and often end up failing. When they do, you loose all boost. They've been through several different designs through the years.

It's attached to the side of the turbo on the 200bhp TFSI engine with the K03 turbo. Not the easiest to get to tbh. I seem to remember it was easier on the TT MK2 I had. Might go look at old photos to see access.

Anyway you have to look above the tie rod boot.

3 hex headed bolts. Two you can see here and another hidden.

Was a bit of a fight as they were pretty tight and I kept loosing my 5mm hex bit out of the ratchet. But it came out eventually. 

This looks to me I think is the latest design as there is no rubber diaphragm in this. Definitely been replaced before as none of the original factory items are likely to ever last these amount of miles without failure. Nice to see it's a Pierberg (OE manufacture of these) rather than some garbage unbranded Chinese junk.

Also found a aluminium covered electronic unit in the wheel arch. Riveted at the bottom and then a plastic clip at the top. It was loose at the top so no doubt a source of a rattle. 

My assumption was that this is the alarm siren. Ripping it out said that assumption was correct! I usually remove alarm sirens on older cars where I can. No one reacts to the damn things apart from anger when they go wrong at 4am in the morning. There is no error code on this one so it probably still works but I don't trust it. I always say on my insurance that a car has an immobiliser but no alarm, so there should be no issue there. 

Finally had this mess to clear up.

Then drop onto four wheels again. Hopefully I'll get time tomorrow to turn it around and get the rear arms done.

My suspicion they might be a right ball ache, even if I cut them out. Not sure if a 115mm cutting disc is even big enough to just chop the bolt right at the bush sleeve or not. Hopefully it is then it should be quite quick. The bolt on the wheel side should hopefully either come out or just snap with an impact.

Even there is only two bolts on each side to deal with, I think there is a good chance it might be hours of fighting. Also I don't know how likely it'll be for me to easily mark up the position of the old arms. So the toe might be completely out. I'll do it by eye to see what looks right, so I can at least get it good enough to safely drive to the place that does the alignment.
dean36014

Post by dean36014 »

Is pickle fork another Americanism creeping in? I've always known them as a ball joint splitter but notice on most yank YouTube channels they call them a pickle fork.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Dunno but that's what I've heard them called so I called it that.
They do look like a pickle fork and I'm sure it's not just the USA that has pickles.
https://www.lawsonshop.co.uk/cutlery/ki ... ckle-fork/
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Arse in the air. 

She's a crusty one! The rear subframe is unboltable though if I ever wanted to go that far. (I won't)

Bushes are ... worn

Nearside camber bolt is bad but this offside actually looks like it's been done relatively recently.

Lower arm bushes are a bit fucked.

Bolts are rusty and round.

Oh boy this is going to be fun*.

In more positive news, I'm glad I didn't buy replacement shocks. These are far better than I would have bought! (Would have been cheap NAPA) 

Kinda feel like I should have spent a bit more and got better springs than the NAPA ones I bought.

Right side first. 18mm head rounded off on first go. Hammered a 11/16th on. Buzzed right out. 

Arm supported by my jack as I couldn't get my new coil spring clamps in. 

Bolt and spring came out no bother.

Bush on the bottom of that rear wheel assembly doesn't look great either. If I'd known, I'd have got a replacement.

Now to tackle this

I actually managed to undo this nut. Not that it actually freed up the bolt.

So went straight in with a thin cutting disc and chopped the bolt head side out. Then cut the bolt shorter where I'd remove the nut. A bit of wiggling and it was free.

That bolt utterly seized in that arm. This is no doubt exactly why the tyre garage didn't want to touch this without quoting replacement parts as a proper job.

Transferred the alignment markings to the new washer.

Then put it all back together with a new spring after transferring the rubber spring mounts over. 

Tightened it by hand then jacked under the spring mount until it just started to lift off the axle stand. Then tightened up to the correct torque - 3 ugga duggers on outside and 95nm on the inside as the garage will need to get these undone again soon.

That side all done in an hour. My sister, nephew and BIL turned up so I had to pretend to be social for a few hours.

Same thing on the other side this evening, just less day light. Roll on longer days!

Looks a bit weird all this shiny new stuff against rusty metal. 🤣

Glad I did the springs to be honest. While the front has new springs + struts already, it appears the rear only had new shocks. 

One spring is noticeably in better condition that the other, so perhaps it had one replacement one time. The right spring on the picture was the original nearside spring.

All in it really wasn't a very bad job to be honest. Straightforward and quite pleasant to do. Helped having the right tools like a high powered impact and angle grinder.

The rest of the bushes on the rear end aren't in great shape. Also I keep thinking I should replace the front wishbone console bushes. However I need to draw a line under it somewhere. After all it's a nearly 200k vehicle that has zero history, new sills welded on due to rust, an interior that whiffs of cigarettes and an engine chain rattle at startup. So while the bushes are worn, they aren't clonking just yet and it'll be a world of pain trying + expense to replace them all. All to get a car that, isn't an awful example, but neither a really nice example. 

I'll still trackday it hopefully but it's primary duty is a runaround and train station hack that has enough kick and steer to be fun to drive. 

Anyway hopefully it's enough polishing of the turd that it can be aligned up to steer nicely. Despite my best efforts to keep it aligned, the steering wheel is at a 45 degree angle to go straight. 😂
Thankfully good enough that it doesn't drive quite like a drunk donkey.
Last edited by SiC on Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:19 pm She's a crusty one!

Bushes are ... worn

The state of it. :shock: Newer than the Jizz too.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:27 pm
SiC wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:19 pm She's a crusty one!

Bushes are ... worn

The state of it. :shock: Newer than the Jizz too.
Looks ideal for Drum after SiC has done with it.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Kinda glad I didn't get that Scottish one. But then it might have been better if looked after?

The actual shell isn't in too bad a condition to be honest.

The subframe is rusty but they're readily available and not that expensive.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385263296096

Or even a complete built up bolt on second hand subframe isn't that bad either.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364511589305
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

It's been 4 months of E320 ownership now. I've done over 600 miles since it had its very brief not-quite-stalling engine moment and it's been 100% absolutely golden the whole time since. That's driving it normal, hard, slamming the brakes on and anything else to see if it would provoke it. I've literally done zilch mechanically since, apart from just driving the car and fill it up with petrol. I think I'll just put it down as one of those old car things. Maybe it is the throttle body that needs cleaning? Might have a mooch at it on the weekend as I have some spare time.  

Also thinking that I might sell this too. Insurance is up for renewal in June and I'd really like to go back down to two moderns - mine and Mrs SiC. We already have an estate and it is a bit pointless having two.

The problem is that this is a really nice car. It's by far the nicest I've owned in a very long time.

Super clean, tidy and even nice smelling inside. It's incredibly relaxing to drive as well, despite this hectic world full of nutters. There must be a certain amount of imposing this does on other drivers as most give way for you. Also don't really get much hassle from other drivers too. 

So not 100% sure yet but I might put up a proper for sale advert on here to see if there is any interest in it. 

Here are some quick photos I took a few hours ago as I went off in it to the gym in it's uncleaned state.

I'll miss this massive boot. Even though I have rarely used it as a proper big boot. There are two seats in the boot as well, making it a 7 seater.

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

It's taken bloody ages to get to this point. 
ImageImage
Let's not talk about how I had to disassemble this who b-pillar trim to retrieve the one screw at the top that holds all this in after it fell down. Good 45mins doing this alone. FFS 
Still didn't come out with a fight. 
Then spent a good hour with a wire brush getting all the old foam and glue off that wasn't already in my hair from removing this.
The best time to do this of course is when Mrs SiC is away and I can get away with having it in the living room!

Now to cut up the new fabric and glue it on! Might have some food first though.

Then it'll be a big fight getting it back in and all the trim in place. Not really looking forward to that bit. 
christine

Post by christine »

SiC... Golf mk4 ...can a bosch alternator regulator be tested with a multimeter ? The nearest brush has continuity with the copper horseshoe bit , but the other brush has no continuity with anything ..either earth , or the 2 pins . The rotor checks out ok as does the field windings on the alternator .

Its not charging at all .. and no battery light . Car died with no voltage ...
The blue exciter wire has 12v with ign on ,so it isnt that .
20240406_175642.jpg
20240406_175642.jpg (556.87 KiB) Viewed 89 times