The shape of things to come

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
cros
The Elastrator

The shape of things to come

Post by cros »

What's going to happen to owning a pre 2000 heap in the next ten years? I reckon its going to get harder to keep anything old on the road as they'll not fit in with the managed traffic system that's being foisted on us. There's barely any fucking room left for a decent breakdown to start with.
Junkman

Re: The shape of things to come

Post by Junkman »

Not sure what you are planning to do, but I'll brim them and drive them.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
John F

Post by John F »

Just one more good reason to live / move away from large population centres IMO.

The newest vehicle I've ever owned was made in 1998 and I don't expect to change that in the foreseeable future :-)
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
ghosty

Post by ghosty »

The newest thing I've owned aside the short termer S90 is my 850 and it will be staying that way.

I say they can get fucked. If the continent can get by without any of this bullshit, we should be able to as well. I fucking despise health and safety culture.

Idiots that cause accidents are the problem, and they should be properly dealt with, much like teenagers that disobey the law but get off lightly based purely on age.

Why hold everyone to the ransom of the lowest common denominator?

</junkman>
Watch for pedestrians...
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

This is one of the reasons I do what I do! In the great words of Joni Mitchell

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

In short they wont be happy until us lot are parked up and grounded and everybody is forced into mobile domestic appliances :roll:

:twisted:

Thats why I say drive what the hell you want while you can,it now seems like death!

Nobody can avoid it

It will get you in the end

So get out and enjoy it one day at a time ;)

Buy a bloody big V8 sod how much the petrol is because on the day they drag you kicking and screaming to a washing machine white electric paranbulance when your asked what the last "Real Car" you ever drove you dont want to say a teeny weeny asmatic fartbox

Live it like its over.........................................
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

8BAK465 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:14 am They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Is that because the British post Brexit economy is solemnly based on parking charges?
Although, car parks usually aren't paved here, they are puddle ridden mud pits, a bit like 1980s Albania.

Owning and driving a car costs nothing here compared with other countries, it's that being fleeced whenever you become stationary that should worry you, because it's rapidly on the way to becoming the biggest chunk of the cost of motoring. This has not gone unnoticed by visitors from abroad, who had to pay four fucking quid for the privilege to park in a soggy cow pie ridden field in the middle of fuck all.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Dr Fraud

Post by Dr Fraud »

I'm not really convinced there's an international cospiracy to prevent eccentric, aging men from driving decrepit old shitters around...

I also agree with Junkman that our noble* pastime is far cheaper in the UK than in most other countries. The availability of parts and know-how is also second to none, even for cars manufactured abroad. A striking example of that is the fact that the Dutch DAF club's supplier of reproduction drive belts is no other than the UK DAF club !

Frankly, I'm more worried about the ever-increasing prices of old cars, which have rendered most cars on my (shite)bucket list completely unaffordable :evil:
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

There is a conspiracy look at Ireland it suddenly became virtually impossible to get reasonable insurance quotes on anything over 10 years old and not in the classic category...
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Consequently anyone with a car over ten years old drives uninsured.
What's the big deal?

Also, "reasonable" is very, very relative. What is considered an unreasonable rip off in the UK when it comes to motoring is usually something motorists in other countries can only dream of.
I wish the British had the same attitude towards housing, because there it's the other way around. They are happily paying for Beverly Hills when they get -say- Bracknell.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Besides, "the shape of things to come" has consistenly being discussed for as long as I can remember and the conclusion always was doom and gloom. Oh, in ten years they'll have priced us out of driving, we won't be allowed to drive our old tat, jada, jada. Remember when they told us there will not be a living tree in 2000 because of acid rain caused by cars?
The reality is that there are more cars, driven more miles, and we never had that many perfectly healthy trees in recent history. The ozone layer is repairing itself and at least the UK emits less CO2 than 100 years ago, Germany is a different story, though.
As for the prices of old cars, run the prices of 20 years ago through an inflation calculator and be amazed.
And guys, the best years are still ahead of us. Imagine how pleasant it will be once those stinking diesels have been banned once and for all.
Supply Chain Disruption

1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice