DozeyDustman's Fleet update.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: DozeyDustman's Fleet update.

Post by Hooli »

Saabs are lovely old buses. When I had mine (ex SiC) it got to 240k & apart from the driver's seat bolster the interior was still solid & a nice enough place to be.
Private signature, do not read
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

Indeed they are Hooli. This 9-3OG feels a lot more solidly built than my NG. Few little niggles but PO has left me with the items required to fix them, which will be done soon enough. Need to get some trim removal tools first as all my spudgers got lost in the house move
Rave is a twat
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Hooli wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:23 am Saabs are lovely old buses. When I had mine (ex SiC) it got to 240k & apart from the driver's seat bolster the interior was still solid & a nice enough place to be.
Did you or the next owner ever sort out the gearbox on it?
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:43 pm
Hooli wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:23 am Saabs are lovely old buses. When I had mine (ex SiC) it got to 240k & apart from the driver's seat bolster the interior was still solid & a nice enough place to be.
Did you or the next owner ever sort out the gearbox on it?
I never did & from a DVLA car check it got scrapped shortly after leaving me. Which is a shame as it was a good car.
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

Some stuff has happened over the past few months.

saab went through it’s MoT with and advisory from 4mmmon brake pads and discs worn. I have these in stock but had to get 2 chewed up security wheelbolts removed. Tame fitter at work did this in exchange for a selection of bottled craft beers. Still waiting for a not wet weekend to changebthem all.

C2 passed its MoT with no advisories which is nice, butbthe clutch bit point is now ridiculously high I will soon change it. Once I have ordered a support brace and an actual clutch kit. Transmech for £25 or LUK for £60z I know what I’ll be going for.

What I have managed to do since my last report is stop the cabin filter box in the Saab leaking. The scuttle drain was blocked. Again. I did it a year ago but how a rubber funnel with a wide spout can block is beyond my reasoning. Also changed the pollen filter weather seal and gave it a bead of black weatherproof silicone and fan spindle luberication at the same time. No leaks and no low speed fan squeal. Excellent. Waiting for EVP to deliver the filter then all is done in that department.

Kia soldiers on like the great Korean pudding it is. The rear window quarterlight seals are very perished so until I can find some decent replacements I’m gonna run a thick bead of the black silicone over them to stop it getting really damp, then stick a dehumidifier in there for 24hrs to dry it out.

Dunno why but after several posts I get blovked out. @Hooli @paulplom any reason why?
Rave is a twat
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

No reason I know of, but at least you used the time productively to fix stuff.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

I find the site will randomly redirect to the http rather than Https version which will need you to log in again...
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Ta for the info. It obviously shouldn't do that...
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

Another couple of months has passed. Nothing major has happened.

Stepdaughter’s boyfriend’s Saab gives reliable service. We treated this to fresh oil and filters just before Christmas. We aim to sort the few niggles over the next year before the MoT is due which I believe is August.

Finally managed to get the oil change done on my Saab. The oil filter is a right arsehole to get to on the 1.9 diesel and was also ridiculously tight.

Also I need to change the front discs but the disc retainer screws turned to cheese and my supposedly HSS drill bits are utter wank. I swapped the pads and unseized the slightly binding N/S calliper at least. I’ll order another set of pads and a decent set of drill bits. Worst case scenario is I buy a pair of front bearings and just hoik the old ones out with the discs still attached.

The garage has also been cleared out to enable the C2 to park in there, being the only car which fits in there with relative ease, and within a month I should have my driveway laid, meaning off-road parking for the fleet.
Rave is a twat
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

I’ve also sealed* the Kia’s windows up with some black silicone. Wind noise greatly reduced although there may still be a tiny water ingress in there somewhere. Job for anothe day, I may just get a new pair of rear doors with decent seals, or see what universal seal would suffice.

Need to get some gas as well, free off tge TREs on the Korean beauty too.
Rave is a twat