DozeyDustman's Fleet update.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
dozeydustman

Re: DozeyDustman's Fleet update.

Post by dozeydustman »

ABS pump has shat itself on the Mini, so I've got to get that changed. And conveniently it needs programming into the car. FFS
Rave is a twat
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Can't you match up the spec and part numbers?
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

SiC wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:45 am Can't you match up the spec and part numbers?
Identical part number taken from an identical age and model R50 diesel, but according to the wise they need at least connecting to a diagnostics to bleed out the air.
Rave is a twat
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

One for RBJ. But afaik my local garage never needed to signal to self bleed when I had a second hand ABS module put on my Laguna. Most independent garages now should have generic diagnostics tools (snapon/etc) to trigger the bleed process. Shouldn't need BMW tools.
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

SiC wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:45 pm One for RBJ. But afaik my local garage never needed to signal to self bleed when I had a second hand ABS module put on my Laguna. Most independent garages now should have generic diagnostics tools (snapon/etc) to trigger the bleed process. Shouldn't need BMW tools.
That is indeed what I'm hoping, replace the pump, bleed as much as I can by pedal up/down with assistance, then limp to nearby garage, ask if they'd do it 'off the books' for a tea fund donation BUT what a common thing seems to be is the unit needs programming to the car. Some have just stated bleed as normal, then make a hard ABS application, return to base and bleed again. I'm hoping to just do that.
Rave is a twat
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Second hand ABS block should still be full of fluid. Might get a bit of air through but shouldn't be any more than if a master has been changed.

Will soon know if it needs coding or not once changed.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a C110 Creator could bleed the ABS?
Last edited by Split_Pin on Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

The Mini is back on the road now a replacement ABS block is installed. What a twat of a job that was. Stepdaughter’s boyfriend came and loaned me a hand as his paws a slightly smaller than mine and could get the in places I can’t.
A729A0CC-6577-42A1-83F4-C7D2720D17DD.jpeg
A729A0CC-6577-42A1-83F4-C7D2720D17DD.jpeg (1016.17 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Rather than strip down the bulkhead and remove the plastic shield We managed to get the old unit out with some gentle manipulation of the brake lines. We bled the system 4 times before air stopped coming out however there may still be a small amount trapped as the pedal is firm-ish but not as firm pre-old unit going tits up. Also the ASC light and tyre pressure light are on, so I think it will need hooking up to diagnostics.
Rave is a twat
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Sounds like it needs the codes scanning. I imagine it may moan about the steering wheel angle sensor and that may be told to recalibrate.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

What was wrong with the old ABS unit? If brake pressure sensor, could you split the unit apart and swap the ECU over? (Probably a bit late to say that now!)