DozeyDustman's Fleet update.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: DozeyDustman's Fleet update.

Post by Eddie Honda »

dozeydustman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:56 am but the disc retainer screws turned to cheese
If they were in good shape before you started to mash them up, you weren't doing it with one of these

dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

Eddie Honda wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:44 pm
dozeydustman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:56 am but the disc retainer screws turned to cheese
If they were in good shape before you started to mash them up, you weren't doing it with one of these

Mangled before I got my mitts on them.
Rave is a twat
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

Trying to find the source of water ingress on stepdaughter’s boyfriend’s 9-3 has been puzzling us. The boot interior is absolutely soaked, not helped by the recent shitty weather. Think it’s been the wettest winter since time immemorial.

The radio aerial was bust and not fully retracting. Yesterday he undone all the interior trim in the boot and the aerial was replaced. I did note that the nut holding the mounting block on the outside of the wing was quite loose so this may be a source of the water getting in. Putting a new aerial insert into the motor housing was fun* and still resulted in a lack of radio reception, so I can only conclude it’s disconnected at the head unit end. Radio reception in my area is generally poor on anything with better quality than medium wave.

After this was done, with all the seats folded flat he laid in the car while I squirted the hosepipe over the boot area, and no water ingress was found. I’m hoping it was just the loost aerial mount.
Rave is a twat
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

Those of you who read the beige will more than likely be aware I bought this last week.
IMG_4637.jpeg
IMG_4637.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 79 times
IMG_4638.jpeg
IMG_4638.jpeg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 79 times
IMG_4640.jpeg
IMG_4640.jpeg (456.49 KiB) Viewed 79 times
It’s a 1360cc suitcase powered one, barrels along very nicely at motorway speeds and aside from a grumbly wheel bearing drives very well. It’s by no means mint but the miles are low (113k on purchase), has a reasonable amount of history and 11.5 months ticket. A few bits of trim need finding, a few little dings and scrapes need touching up and she’ll be reet. It’s a little project for me and stepdaughter to play with. She really enjoys driving it.

I’ve had to use it daily since purchase as the Saab decided to shat off its back box and the tail end of the middle section. I have a new system, but a low car on ramps and a fat turd trying to work underneath it don’t mix. It may have to go to a garage. The guy who runs my normal MoT station has turned into a complete and utter knob of late so I’m on the lookout for a new testing station.
Rave is a twat
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

In other fleet news the Kia provides good daily transport for the stepdaughter, it’s looking a little tatty though and I am on the lookout for a new driver’s side front wing and a pair of rear doors in flat black.

The C2 has started to pick up a few electrical niggles, by saying a lamp has failed on the rear right hand side. Different bulb each time so I’m suspecting a bad connection or earth. It also needs a clutch and timing belt change, so that’s something for the near future.
Rave is a twat
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

My missus had a 1989 GR as a company car and in a lot of ways it was better than my Mk2 Golf GTi.

She's not a car person but still says that she misses it at times. I've suggested buying one but she reckons that we have enough cars and is happy with her Citigo.
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

LynehamHerc wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:53 am My missus had a 1989 GR as a company car and in a lot of ways it was better than my Mk2 Golf GTi.

She's not a car person but still says that she misses it at times. I've suggested buying one but she reckons that we have enough cars and is happy with her Citigo.
Oh they are cracking little cars to drive and I have loved pottering around in it for the last week. It certainly brings a smile to my face when I’m about and have had a lot of people ask me about it.

I’d been wanting a project car for me and my stepdaughter to do for some time. One of the reasons a 205 ticked all the right boxes is because they are easy to work on and easy to drive, and for the moment value for money starter classics. We were looking at Ford Angleboxes because madam is well into Harry Potter, but Ford and Rowling tax, Vauxhall shove-its and Vivas but in our range was rot boxes or redtopyo! barrymobiles.
Rave is a twat
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I never foresaw the time that has now arrived when modern cars are so relentessly shit I would actually fancy a 205 but that looks delightful. Sooner have that than a GTi, too.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
dozeydustman

Post by dozeydustman »

Spent the last couple of hours fannying around with the Saab exhaust. The centre pipe was rotted through where it joined the old, also rotten, back box.

The chin stroking and head scratching was in order to find the best way of doing things. As the centre pipe came from Neo Bros as two halves with a 5” sleeve joiner, rather than the arseache of getting the sleeve joint separated from the DPF. So I measured where the back half of the new centre pipe lined up underneath, which thankfully was a weld join from assembly. Fresh cutting wheel in the angry grindr, and I had a hack….
IMG_4674.jpeg
IMG_4674.jpeg (932.63 KiB) Viewed 33 times
I squared up the rough end with a flap wheel, and lined up the rest of the system, keeping the tail from the DPF supported.
IMG_4675.jpeg
IMG_4675.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 33 times
I have left it dry assembled for the moment, just in case it needs some tweaking, plus I have no assembly paste. I have found it easier to tweak a dry fitted system and refit with paste once it’s good.
Rave is a twat
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

dozeydustman wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:46 am Image

IMG_4640.jpeg
4Xs3uw7B_400x400.jpg
4Xs3uw7B_400x400.jpg (29.68 KiB) Viewed 15 times
Screenshot_2024-05-10-15-03-43-154_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2024-05-10-15-03-43-154_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg (97.92 KiB) Viewed 15 times

That's a ieGeek K301 car stereo.