Morris Minor Ratrod

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Morris Minor Ratrod

Post by SiC »

christine wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:34 pm Saw the Mini today Sic.. Just in the nick of time ! Fella's been kicked out apparently... Only thing left in the barn is the Mini and a dumper...I've text him asking if it's for sale ... I could only see the front of it through the gap in the doors . Looks like a white Mk 3 , wide arches , presumably wide wheels , foglights ! Couldn't see reg plate ,a sack was covering it.

And a call back already ..Non..keeping it for his son :( poor fucker !
Boo! Thanks for enquiring though. If his son changes his mind, I'm still interested.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Knowing your luck, it's some example that raced at Monteo Carlo and his son is now going to rag it around the field, smashing it up. 🤣
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The sale of this Moggie has effectively paid for my new garage door. So it's only right I put it away. Which means finally a clear drive!

Before it goes off to it's new owner, I had a check over on the ammeter. Pulling the ammeter found a potential fire hazard waiting to happen.

Likewise the under bonnet look modifications weren't exactly reassuring either.

I decided to remove all this ammeter (not particularly useful for an alternator anyway) and replace it with something more useful.
The modified wiring I cut off at where the factory wiring started - unfortunately not long enough to connect back to the starter switch. So I crimped on a new short piece. Btw I love these heatshrink crimp pieces. When they are heated, they have hot melt glue that seals off both ends and thus make the join watertight.

The other end hand a ring terminal attached, then heatshrink to provide strain relief and sealing.

While I was having a poke around under the bonnet to check other wiring I found the coil wire looking a bit suspect. Pretty much snapped off in my hand after a gentle wiggle. Fixed this up while I was there.

Back inside I fitted in a rev counter. Much more useful instrument. I also cleaned up some of the other wiring on the temperature gauge.

It actually works pretty well! Shame it's not got a chrome ring to match the others but it's not particularly offensive looking. Not particularly expensive to buy either. Has a switch on the back to change between 2 to 8 cylinder operation too.

The horn does attempt to work but let's out a weak fart. As usual with these things the contacts on the horn push were dirty. Gave them a good clean-up on both the button contacts and where they make electric contact to the wheel.

Also got some new wipers on order. The original ones were split to pieces and useless. I tried MGB wipers but these are too large. So I ordered some Valeo Silencio wipers on order that should fit. While not original looking, they should actually work as wipers. Hopefully handy given where this will be going!

Finally got a new washer pump coming from Amazon as the one here has packed in. Should be a straightforward enough swap.

Apart from this, I don't think there is anything left to do on it! Interior could do with a good scrub down to remove decades of dirt from sitting in a garage. I did clean up the dials and remove some of the encrusted o-ring residue that always seems to happen on these Smith's gauges.

Much like selling the 1100, now I've finished, I kinda regret selling it. 🤣

BUT I have a MG Midget that (I bought nearly 5 months ago!) is waiting for its turn to be sorted. Before that I will get the BGT down for a check-over and service - ready for this summer.
Hopefully I'll have both the BGT and Midget together on the road before the end of summer. Perhaps some wishful thinking there...!
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

I like the heat shrink connectors too - I also use the ones with solder inside - no crimp required.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Unfortunately they are one of those cars which people get at with dubious modifications, and they always go for the bloody wiring first. Wiper blades are 10" spoon fit. Don't know what the obsession is with people fitting electric screenwashers - the manual plunger originally on these is very effective.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I fitted electric washers on my Midget as it was cheaper than replacing the manual one that just sprayed screenwash into the radio.
Private signature, do not read
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Yep. My Farina did that too. Admittedly the piping was past its best but why bring water up into the dash area to squirt it on the screen?
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Mine had a split in the pump body, but it does seem a daft place to put the water.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

My MGB has electric washers as does the camper, the latter replacing a pressurised washbottle system.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:46 am My MGB has electric washers as does the camper, the latter replacing a pressurised washbottle system.
I was about to say - schraeder valve FTW in my old Type 2 !
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)