Scooter for a 16 year old

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fraser

Scooter for a 16 year old

Post by fraser »

The lad is 16 in November, and has started making comments about getting some transport, either a bike or a scooter. As his 2 jobs are 25 miles from my exes house, she has to drive him to mine, where he stays over.
I'm not adverse to him getting one, as I wanted one when I was 16, but the transport system in Edinburgh was so good that it didn't merit it.
Questions are
1 - A good reliable 50cc machine, that may be able to be modified to give it a bit more oomf.
2 - A decent quality helmet.
3 - Protective clothing - I don't care if he thinks he looks like a twat, but want him protected in case of an off.
4 - Decent boots

To be honest, I'd rather spend more on 2, 3 and 4 than 1. Only got 1 son. Even though he's a pain in the arse.

Sent from my RMO-NX1 using Tapatalk

bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: Scooter for a 16 year old

Post by bub2006 »

Most scooters are now 4 stroke. For his first he will bin it so but something cheap and cheerful. Lexmoto and ajs are 2 of the better known Chinese brands and the 139 qmi gy6 engine can be tweaked a bit. That same engine is also found in honda and Peugeot so no point paying more for the name for a first scooter.
Helmets,they all have to pass the same tests but but the best you can afford. One drop though and recommended to replace.
Trousers and jacket,go textile. Jacket with back slider,armour in shoulder and elbow. Trousers, protection in hips and knees are good as well as removable winter liners in both jacket and trousers. Go to a bike shop and try on some bits. I always have braces on my trousers as if I bin it I know they will stay up.
Boots,again it's a matter of preference. Provided they have protection and keep the important bits in the right area. I'd be looking for some ankle height boots not full length bike boots.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

The most important thing with helmets is how they fit, again go try some at a bike shop. Different makes suit different people due to the slight differences in head shape they're designed for.

Ok and get one with a pin lock if you can. It won't be constantly misted up in bad weather that way.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The boy did over 3000 miles in a year on his 1986 honda vision with a top speed of 28mph. It gave no trouble at all.
He sold it to one of my mates who derestricted it in five minutes which gave it a 40mph top speed.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

bub2006 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:18 am Helmets,they all have to pass the same tests but but the best you can afford.
The first part is true to a point, ECE 22.05 has no sunset date for sales, the latest will be ECE 22.06.
Hooli wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:28 am The most important thing with helmets is how they fit,
This all the way home. Even if it's a Great Bunch of Lads LS2, if it fits better then go for it.

The transport system is good in Edinburgh, but I was glad to chuck away my ridacard and smoke around on my timetable.

Go down to Two Wheels down near Cameron Toll and have a butchers. I learnt to ride there back in 1993 and took my test at Joppa. Also Honda dealers - you meet the nicest people on a Honda. I bought my used Honda H100S from there (Dave sold it to me and he's been there forever). All my clothing though I bought from Ernie Page though.

Why don't you get one too?
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:25 pm
bub2006 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:18 am Helmets,they all have to pass the same tests but but the best you can afford.
The first part is true to a point, ECE 22.05 has no sunset date for sales, the latest will be ECE 22.06.
Hooli wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:28 am The most important thing with helmets is how they fit,
This all the way home. Even if it's a Great Bunch of Lads LS2, if it fits better then go for it.

The transport system is good in Edinburgh, but I was glad to chuck away my ridacard and smoke around on my timetable.

Go down to Two Wheels down near Cameron Toll and have a butchers. I learnt to ride there back in 1993 and took my test at Joppa. Also Honda dealers - you meet the nicest people on a Honda. I bought my used Honda H100S from there (Dave sold it to me and he's been there forever). All my clothing though I bought from Ernie Page though.

My point is they still have to pass the same test to get the code whether it's an LS2 or a shoei
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

bub2006 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:49 pm
Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:25 pm

My point is they still have to pass the same test to get the code whether it's an LS2 or a shoei
Which I agree with, it is the second bit "buy the best you can afford" which is at odds with Hooli's and my "don't care whether it is cheap or expensive as long as it fits"

My only beef with the first bit is, at present, on the shelves some have gone through a new test, others haven't.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Yes it's on the changeover. Not allowed to be manufactured anymore but can still be sold. I didn't mention about fitting as I thought that was a given. Buy the best you can afford that fits properly.
I wouldn't have thought anyone would spend a grand on an helmet that doesn't fit comfortably. I wear either open face or flip front lids but make sure they are comfortable.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:08 pm Which I agree with, it is the second bit "buy the best you can afford" which is at odds with Hooli's and my "don't care whether it is cheap or expensive as long as it fits"
I only said fit was more important.

I'd buy the best you can afford that fits, every cheap helmet I've had wore out in about 3 months so needed replacing all the time. Plus the ventilation etc was wank so they misted up constantly.
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Fair enough.

I bought an LS2 that lasted me well. Noisy bugger though.

Some expensive ones have been a bit rubbish in areas: e.g. the crock of shit visors on the BMW System 3.

If the cheap ones wore out in 3 months you can only blame your abrasive cueball heid. :lol: I've had some "shit"* ones last better than that when I was clocking up 6k+ a month.

*"shit" a) couldn't have been that shit as they lasted longer than 3 months heavy abuse. b) green BS stickered polycarbonate ones, not the posh blue stickered ones.