Is it important for a car to have poke?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Is it important for a car to have poke?

Post by treehugger »

As said, only mention it cos some body said something about joining a motor way being dicey. There's an acceleration lane for joining the A1 northbound, south of pontefract that is a right pig, about twenty yards long. I won't use it now, just go through a back way to pontefract to get to the M62.
Anyway, over to you.
As I suspected I was right about everything.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Is it important for a car to have poke?

Post by mercrocker »

Poke is relative, I suppose. You drive according to it. Cars that give the impression of having it and then don't deliver are particularly dangerous, though. My 260E was like that - not a patch on the twincam sixes and impossible to hurry up when you really, really needed it to.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I think it depends on what it's used for to a certain extent.

My camper certainly doesn't have and would have been a pain in the arse over the 8 years of the uni motorway shuttle, whereas the Galaxy did and was as enjoyable as could be in the circumstances.

Saying that the camper can keep up with traffic around here and I'd need something with a pretty decent power to weight ratio to overtake on the roads I normally use, especially in the summer.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

No, not important. However its a useful trait to have in a car. Especially given the amount of people trundling in NSL at 40-50mph and braking even slower for every mild kink in the road.
Dead_E23
Meanie Spoilsport Killjoy

Post by Dead_E23 »

I think it depends on the nature of the car. A Jaguar XJS with the performance of my Tdi Defender would be a bit annoying to drive, but it feels fine as it is.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Poke needs to match the rest of the car, if it'll corner at 120mph but struggles to reach 90mph it's going to feel crap.

I also think a lot of what we think of as poke is just good throttle response. Interesting Mercrocker mentioned 260e, I had one & it had plenty of poke once I gapped the plugs properly. Picked up great & it's party trick in the wet was accelerating off the line on the point of wheelspin as I fed the power in, once it got to 20mph I had enough throttle on for it to shift down to 1st (as they normally pull away in 2nd) at which point both rear tyres light up & it took off sideways :lol:
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Hooli wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:26 pm I also think a lot of what we think of as poke is just good throttle response.
Yup. My Saab 9000 is definitely faster than my BMW 316i, but the BMW feels way more responsive, so I end up driving it faster anyway.

Neither of my cars are particularly fast. They can get out of their own way and don't feel underpowered, but it's not as if I'm doing heroic overtakes in them either. No motorways within 80 miles of me (closest is the M90 down at Perth). A lot of my driving is done on twisty A-roads that I've learned over the years, most overtakes are done on the basis of carrying momentum through sweeping bends (with good sight lines, I might add). More power would definitely help, but I'm used to my cars.

A part of me would someday like another car that genuinely makes me go "oh shit" when I stamp the throttle.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SubPar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:38 pm
A part of me would someday like another car that genuinely makes me go "oh shit" when I stamp the throttle.
The only trouble with one of them is how often you have to behave.
Private signature, do not read
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Depends how you define poke.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Hooli wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:56 pm
SubPar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:38 pm
The only trouble with one of them is how often you have to behave.
Good point.

Due to spending years driving slow-ish cars I tend to use quite a lot of throttle fairly often. The thought crosses my mind of how much trouble I'd get into just hopping into something that actually had a decent bit of power.