Sorry it's modern but.... 2016 VW Polo

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SV2
Le Deux Chevaux Geek

Sorry it's modern but.... 2016 VW Polo

Post by SV2 »

Have noticed for quite some time that the (heater) fan only seemed to really do anything on 2,3 and 4, found it a bit weird, but thought I was just being a bit dim.

Fastforword to last week and I realised that now it only works on 4. Apparently this is a super common VAG fault, with the resistor pack failing, 4 running on the full 12V so obviously that's unaffected. Have researched and reckon I can sort it but urgh to taking the glovebox/dash apart.

The reason I have noticed the fan issue is that the car keeps steaming up. Generally with sea swimming it's on 4 to warm me up anyway, but now I've noticed that the steaming up is every journey, not just when I'm wearing a damp towel with wet hair.

I seem to remember older models have a common problem with leaves and shit blocking the drains on the valance panel under the windscreen, meaning water seeps through the bulkhead, but I've checked under the bonnet and can't see anything like that going on.

Any likely areas for water to creep into the car? There's definitely something going on because the radio (touchscreen) sometimes presses it's own buttons and scrolls the menus when I'm driving. Perhaps water has killed the resistor pack?
DodgeRover

Re: Sorry it's modern but.... 2016 VW Polo

Post by DodgeRover »

SiC or Panhard might have a better clue than most here.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

SV2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:12 pm Have noticed for quite some time that the (heater) fan only seemed to really do anything on 2,3 and 4, found it a bit weird, but thought I was just being a bit dim.

Fastforword to last week and I realised that now it only works on 4. Apparently this is a super common VAG fault, with the resistor pack failing, 4 running on the full 12V so obviously that's unaffected. Have researched and reckon I can sort it but urgh to taking the glovebox/dash apart.

The reason I have noticed the fan issue is that the car keeps steaming up. Generally with sea swimming it's on 4 to warm me up anyway, but now I've noticed that the steaming up is every journey, not just when I'm wearing a damp towel with wet hair.

I seem to remember older models have a common problem with leaves and shit blocking the drains on the valance panel under the windscreen, meaning water seeps through the bulkhead, but I've checked under the bonnet and can't see anything like that going on.

Any likely areas for water to creep into the car? There's definitely something going on because the radio (touchscreen) sometimes presses it's own buttons and scrolls the menus when I'm driving. Perhaps water has killed the resistor pack?
Firstly check the pollen filter and is your aircon working properly as it should stop the car steaming up, also have you got it set on recirculate?

The touchscreen is likely to be a separate issue as they are a bit shit, I've seen two fail recently on friends VW's.
CBA
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

I changed the fan resistor on a 2008 polo a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_20240201_192547723.jpg
IMG_20240201_192547723.jpg (337.57 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Not sure the difference on the later models but it wasn't too bad a job.
SV2
Le Deux Chevaux Geek

Post by SV2 »

Drum wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:41 pm I changed the fan resistor on a 2008 polo a couple of weeks ago.

Did you take the glovebox out?
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

SV2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:45 pm
Drum wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:41 pm I changed the fan resistor on a 2008 polo a couple of weeks ago.

Did you take the glovebox out?
Yes. There was a wee shelf below it to remove first. A few T20 torx screws.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

SV2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:12 pm

The MIL has an aging Seat Ibiza which had the same water ingres issue.
The passenger door was leaking from the door card.
There is a bit of foam seal that runs round the edge of the door card innards, it had fallen to bits.

After a rainy night, open the door carefully, if the sill is wet in the door shut it is probably that seal.
Keep an eye on it though, if the carpet gets too wet, I think the central locking controller is under the passenger seat.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

+1 for the pollen fiter. I had a similar problem with a 2003 Golf about a decade ago.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
christine

Post by christine »

Using resistors to control a motor speed , is so mid last century really innit !