Hidden* Features on Cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Hidden* Features on Cars

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I had a couple of Audi Coupes bought for less than a hundred quid, lack of a manual was least in your mind. In the boot of one were two peculiar brackets and bits of shitty very rough carpet stuck to the bottom of each. I didn't think much to them but was slightly perplexed why they were there and their function.

Months and months later summer was upon us and being a fan of sunroofs it was up as I got back to the car and saw something resembling a hand grenade pin. :idea:

It was a shelf to store the solid sunroof in upside down and not scratch the paint. idiot...

Any more hidden gems that have escaped people for far longer than they ought to?
Split_Pin

Re: Hidden* Features on Cars

Post by Split_Pin »

On MK1 Rover 75s with electric memory seats, you can reinstate position 1 by closing the door and holding down the unlock button.

Holding down the unlock button on Saab 9-3s with the Comfort Pack will fold the hood down.

Both my Audi TT and A4 B7 Cabriolet have a tiny sun visor above the rear view mirror.
cuntbuster

Post by cuntbuster »

Bini R56, There is a hidden din size slot behind the trim panel, above the glove box, specially designed for your weed stash.
Who you gonna call
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Regarding the original post, I had a similar thing on my Renault 4 van. Removing the giraffe flap above the rear door always resulted in the fucking thing sliding about on the rarely-level floor. Only after I changed the van did I discover from another owner that it was designed to clip into place on an inner roof rail and stiffener - hence the "redundant" second position on the flap's clips....

And it was only when I broke up my 1959 Austin Seven Mini that I discovered these early cars had little courtesy lights in the rear pockets, complete with their own switch....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

mercrocker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:25 am And it was only when I broke up my 1959 Austin Seven Mini that I discovered these early cars had little courtesy lights in the rear pockets, complete with their own switch....
My Ma's 1960 Austin Seven had those - as a kid it was great fun switching on the tiny lights, There was one behind a plastic plug on the speedo housing too, with its own little toggle switch to illuminate the front parcel shelf.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I never found the front one! Mind you this thing had one of those gurt big Concorde-esque dash panels that felt like it was made out of the dividing tray from a box of Dairy Milk chocolates.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Split_Pin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:08 am

Both my Audi TT and A4 B7 Cabriolet have a tiny sun visor above the rear view mirror.
I had my Chrysler for about a year before I discovered the slide-out "inners" of the sunvisors that are designed with the same function in mind. I was trying to store a parking permit in there when it pulled right out!
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

My 1989 XR2 had a couple of elastic straps in the flimsy boot floor panel to secure the glass sunroof if you took the whole thing out - the only options were tilt closed or fully removed - more like an aftermarket than a factory fit but suited me as is didn't rob too much headroom for a sunroof mechanism.

Merc has extra little sunvisors behind the main ones so you can use the main ones to one side and still have some shade.

Jaaag had a separate Valet key that allowed a flunkie to park your car but not rifle through the glove box or the boot - I think I still have the one from my first jaaag.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

The T25 has a special key (with a VW logo forming the fingerhold) that operates the glovebox alone for similar reasons. Obviously in a one-box vehicle there is no point including the "boot" in that arrangement. Apparently these keys are much sought after by beanie-hatters but I've never used it in fear of the glovebox lock jamming up....
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

AMCrebel wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:42 am Jaaag had a separate Valet key that allowed a flunkie to park your car but not rifle through the glove box or the boot - I think I still have the one from my first jaaag.
I've got mine for the XJR, never tried it though. There is also a valet button that does something similar although I can't remember quite how it works.

This sort of question always reminds me of a girl I knew who took six months to find out the centre vent in a Saxo lifted up so it didn't just aim at the roof.
Private signature, do not read