Country Classics Motor Museum - Taunton

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Country Classics Motor Museum - Taunton

Post by SiC »

I booked this week off in the anticipation of getting huge swaves of work done on the Midget. However as usual with these things, a chest infection has made the grinding dust and welding fumes a bit too nasty to be breathing in (I'm terrible for putting a respirator on). 

Instead I decided to pop down yesterday to "Britains Newest Car Museum" that was opened by Richard Hammond would you know! They do like to tell you both of those facts regularly. Its only been open a month so far, so very new.

The Museum is situated in an old shop in the centre of Taunton. Setup by a local car dealer that has built a collection of vehicles up over the years. I did see the chap floating around (I think investigating building water leaks from the heavy rain we've had recently) but I didn't go up to him for a chat.

Website is here: https://www.countyclassicsmotormuseum.co.uk/

I parked around the back in a council public car park. £2.90 for 2 hours was a bit steep for somewhere like Taunton but it literally is right next to the museum. Maybe one of the multi-stories could have been cheaper?
There was an easily missed alleyway that took you right to the main street. Proper 60's dinginess.
As you're on the main street in the centre, this is a good time to say bye to your better halves to go shopping while you potter around the museum.

Entrance isn't particularly grand nor big. However once you're in, its much bigger than that entrance suggests.
Entry was £12 for an adult, which isn't too extreme in this day and age really. 
You don't need an entrance ticket if you want to go in for Coffee/Cake/Sandwiches. I'd already bought something at Greggs (over the road), but decided to support them by having a Chocolate Brownie and an Orange Juice.
The area was clean and tidy, with the staff merry and attentive. The coffee shop looks onto the front of the museum exhibits. In yesterdays case, a classic Mini.
(I took this photo when I was leaving, hence the empty cabinets)

SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Country Classics Motor Museum - Taunton

Post by SiC »

Now for the big photo dump. I tried to get most of the cars and I think I got them all. My only complaint is that they're packed in pretty tight and with rope barriers making them not all easy to look up close. Hopefully in time they may improve the layout so you can get a bit closer?

There are also a lot of double doors you need to go to. I nearly ended up missing half the museum as I didn't go through the downstairs back doors. 

One thing I'll say is that the owner obviously has a Ford obsession as there are an awful lot of Fords.

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Now for upstairs.

There are more bikes about but I didn't take pictures of many of them. I'm not a bike person, soz.

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Now back downstairs after I realised I missed half of it.
This was next to the exhibit.
But going by these stick on text, I don't think its a genuine example 🤣

I believe this is to do with Richard Hammond and his racing team.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Then finally I went upstairs to the front where the bikes are situated. Bikes aren't my bag, so you're not getting much on these.

Finally this temporary traffic light.

With a good old fashioned AGD 200-series on top - I used to work for AGD well over a decade ago, so know these radars well. This must be an early one as it doesn't have the trademark Yellow Stripe on the front.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Looks a lot of good stuff in there and Peugeots
Private signature, do not read
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Thanks for saving me 12 quid. Not really anything there that could tempt me to even pay to park in Taunton let alone the 12 quid to get in. Each to their own I suppose but it is pretty much like all the rest of the UK car museums and pretty boring. Gaydon is the only one I would pay money to see as they have some interesting prototypes in there.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

panhard65 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:26 pm Thanks for saving me 12 quid. Not really anything there that could tempt me to even pay to park in Taunton let alone the 12 quid to get in. Each to their own I suppose but it is pretty much like all the rest of the UK car museums and pretty boring. Gaydon is the only one I would pay money to see as they have some interesting prototypes in there.
Yeah I did think it might be too British heavy (especially Ford) to be your bag!

My favourite museum around here is Atwell Wilson. You can get right up close to the exhibits there and I believe you're allowed to open the doors to have a look inside too. Also only £9 per person.

Its in Calne, Wiltshire. However probably too Brit heavy for your tastes too.
https://atwellwilson.org.uk/

I did put up the pictures on this thread, but appear to have gone micro size unless you click on the images to enlarge
https://autoshite.com/topic/34767-atwel ... or-museum/
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Atwell's is great, must give that another visit....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
nebuchenezer
Captain Turdseye!

Post by nebuchenezer »

Did that used to be County Stores in Taunton?