Cars you always wanted, then didn't...

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Cars you always wanted, then didn't...

Post by xtriple »

When I was young and stupid, I always wanted a Rolls Royce by the time I was 30. I got one at age 29 and hated it, kept it one whole day and sold it for a £1000 profit. Then, having achieved my goal, I went after another 'dream car' a Porsche 911.

I looked and drove a couple and vowed to never look in their direction ever again. The engines sound like a sack of spanners at low revs, the interiors are an ergonomic disaster with switches strewn about in a display that looks a lot like a shotgun splattered them into place, dreadful bog awful heating/demisting and floor mounted pedals. Just horrible in every way.

I am of course talking about the air-cooled cars (that now fetch a fucking fortune, though why escapes me)and concede that newer ones 'may' be better. But now of course they are owned by the dreaded VAG who are despicable and so unworthy of contemplation.

Anyone else?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Cars you always wanted, then didn't...

Post by Hooli »

xtriple wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:38 pm floor mounted pedals.
That's enough to put me off anything, so fucking uncomfy to use. As to 911s I've never seen the interest in a squashed beetle that sounds like a broken flymo.

I always wanted a Marcos though, still do. Along with a late TVR, decent Lotus (oxymoron?) and a Bentley. Never got to try any so far though.

I didn't really want one, but I did like Pug 205 GTIs for ages as everyone said they were amazing fun & great to drive. I got to drive one & it was an utter pile of shit, slow, shit handling and utterly bland. Fucking wank interior too. The NA diesel one I drove a few years later was better in everyway as zero power suited the wank chassis & you expected a miser spec heap to be wank inside. Oddly it was more comfy too as the GTI seats were shit too.
Private signature, do not read
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

My first car falls into this category - the Beetle.

Wanted one ever since my Grandad had a couple whilst he lived in the Netherlands. The fact there were no hills there should have alerted me to one of their shortcomings....Anyway I duly turned 17 a few years later, took my meagre Post Office savings and spunked it on a red 1964 VW.

If going up hills was not bad enough, going down the other side was positively frightening. I didn't realise they steered like a barrel going down Niagara.

We went and got our money back as the cunt seized up 3 days after I got it and I bought an Imp instead. The Imp was by far the better car and it is not often you can say that in the same sentence.

Apart from being a bit crap on hills my current T25 is at least far more pleasant to drive. Yes, it also has proper pedals although I do not find such a problem with the floor-mounted Minor ones as I did those on the Beetle.

I just remember being so bloody disappointed, it was far from being a new car but I later drove many later, better examples and they were still a bit shit.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
fraser

Post by fraser »

xtriple wrote:When I was young and stupid, I always wanted a Rolls Royce by the time I was 30. I got one at age 29 and hated it, kept it one whole day and sold it for a £1000 profit. Then, having achieved my goal, I went after another 'dream car' a Porsche 911.

I looked and drove a couple and vowed to never look in their direction ever again. The engines sound like a sack of spanners at low revs, the interiors are an ergonomic disaster with switches strewn about in a display that looks a lot like a shotgun splattered them into place, dreadful bog awful heating/demisting and floor mounted pedals. Just horrible in every way.

I am of course talking about the air-cooled cars (that now fetch a fucking fortune, though why escapes me)and concede that newer ones 'may' be better. But now of course they are owned by the dreaded VAG who are despicable and so unworthy of contemplation.

Anyone else?
My mate during my apprenticeship was the same for a 911. A relative died, and he spunked all of his cash on one. When he took me for a drive, I was amazed that this so called super car had such a shite interior. It seemed to me that if they wanted to add another feature, then they didn't redesign the dash, they just drilled a random hole somewhere, and fitted a switch.

Sent from my RMO-NX1 using Tapatalk

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Pre 2005 Porsches focused on the drivetrain and suspension. It was the 996/Boxster/Cayman generation that really saved the company and pumped a whole lot of cash in that allowed the interiors to go far more modern.

I actually like the fact my Boxster interior is pretty flimsy and old fashioned looking now. Makes it feel like a classic Porsche. The stalks feel like they'll snap if you're too vigorous on them and the design feels very early 90s with curvy hard plastics everywhere. As it is expensive and difficult to get large pieces of plastic with no imperfections (especially low volume cars) they covered all the large surfaces with leather - like premium cars of old.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

In answer to the original question ... pretty much every car I have owned for less than a year is probably the best answer I can give.

From Rover P4 to a RenaultSport Clio 172. There has been all sorts.
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

I didn't really always want one as in from a young age, but having seen the film Ronin, I wanted a Citroen XM V6.
Not sure how it happened but at some point I convinced Mrs Concern it would be a good idea and bought one. It looked lovely, like really lovely I do think they look great in every way, retro yet timeless at the same time. However I never liked it, it was pretty slow not as comfortable as I expected and even more stupid than that it was no where near as quirky as the Citroen C4 VTS I had at the time. Then at the first MOT I took it for (having had an advisory free MOT the year before!) It failed on rusty everything and I spent more than £800 having it welded. The next year was the same except it needed really hard to replace hydrualic lines as well! Eventually I swapped it on AS for a Renault Modus for Mrs Concern and the ungrateful bastard shat its gearbox on the new owner!
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

X J 8
Thread over.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Alfa 156. Maybe the one I drove was a bad example.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Goes for a lot of 'classic cars' really. There's still some oddball, technically interesting beasts that I could fancy but the overwhelming majority of rammel no longer interests me. If you're going to have a motor that rusts, is a cunt to find parts for drives like a skip on casters or breaks down all the time then make it an interesting and novel one.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell