Freeloading Cnut

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Re: Freeloading Cnut

Post by angrydicky »

Fortunately the previous owner had a new set of tyres fitted just 5000 miles ago so they’re all the same, well I haven’t checked the tread depth admittedly but they look the same. Shame they’re LingLong specials but you can’t have everything I suppose!
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:53 pm https://www.bellengineering.co.uk for when you have problems... I know the owner and the son, great lads. The son uses an old high mileage snotter derv auto for towing his race bike up and down the country and thrashes the fuck out of it (as much as you can an auto) loaded up with all sorts, trailer on the back and it flies along. The transfer box holds about a pint of oil, keep an eye on it as by the time you notice it has leaked it'll generally be fucked and a new one in a box the size of 80 PG tips will probably cost you what that whole vehicle owes you. Tyre depth is also critical apparently, same as 4x4 Calibras etc, rotate and keep them within the spec it has in the user manual or it'll wind the transmission up.

A good looking truck* that.
Excellent, thanks for that. I don’t think that’s been touched so as soon as I can get access to the workshop to pop it on the ramp (we’re having the driveway done so the door is completely inaccessible) I’ll check it. I guess it’s the traditional sort of thing with a drain plug and a level plug?
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

cuntbuster wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:43 pm Looks ok that dicky. Is this extra fleet, or is there one out the door?
There will be a very nice Mk3 Mundano auto up for sale in the near future. Nothing wrong with it at all, but it’s surplus to requirements now and taking up space.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

Hooli wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:41 pm A diesel Freelander remains the slowest thing I ever remember driving, even a NA 205 diesel seemed faster. I liked the rear window that wound down into the boot lid though
I didn’t think it seemed slow, I drove it back from Norfolk (about 60 miles) and it pulls as you’d expect a modern turbo diesel to pull. Maybe the early L series ones were slower. I don’t know really.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

bub2006 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:25 pm I do like a nice hippo. The pre and post facelift Freelander 1 do look rather appealing. A friend had an L series LWB on a W plate that loved to fill boot up with water under the little storage lid on the floor. Think it's a common thing for them. Not sure if facelifted ones got rid of that issue.
The car seems bone dry inside which is nice, including the storage locker/tool kit storage in the boot. I wonder if the problems are caused by the solenoid/regulator failing which is supposed to drop and lift the tailgate glass and so there was a slight gap left there. This one has already been replaced so hopefully no problems there.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

Day off work today so I’ll be heading off to the only decent local* motor factor to hopefully buy oil and filters for this, the Mondeo and an air filter for the Rover.
Apparently they are prone to hydraulic clutch issues (slave inside the bellhousing) although it seems fine at the moment there’s no paperwork to say anything’s ever been done to it, so I thought it might be worth trying to keep it going a bit longer by bleeding some fresh fluid through it.
I can’t even see the master cyl reservoir though. Is it ‘getattable’ or a total ballache? Can you even bleed them with the gearbox on?
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

If it works leave well alone. In the last month 2 clutches I have done have ended up needing new master cylinders after changing the CSC's with the clutches. They just wouldn't bleed through properly and this plastic shit hates running dry. I am a great beliver in "if it ain't broken don't touch it" Same with brake fluid you get more trouble bleeding brakes after changing fluid than I have ever had in cars with 10 plus year old fluid that has never been changed.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

angrydicky wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:03 am
Hooli wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:41 pm A diesel Freelander remains the slowest thing I ever remember driving, even a NA 205 diesel seemed faster. I liked the rear window that wound down into the boot lid though
I didn’t think it seemed slow, I drove it back from Norfolk (about 60 miles) and it pulls as you’d expect a modern turbo diesel to pull. Maybe the early L series ones were slower. I don’t know really.
It was an early one I drove and as it was a part-ex it might have been broken.
Private signature, do not read
Old Wrinkly
Hubnutting Double Cunt!

Post by Old Wrinkly »

bub2006 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:25 pm I do like a nice hippo. The pre and post facelift Freelander 1 do look rather appealing. A friend had an L series LWB on a W plate that loved to fill boot up with water under the little storage lid on the floor. Think it's a common thing for them. Not sure if facelifted ones got rid of that issue.
Facelift has the same issue, one of mine also fills up the footwell behind the drivers seat.
No obvious sign of where its getting in, all the seals are are in good condition and the the panel gaps are correct.
Attachments
IMG_20230517_110231.jpg
IMG_20230517_110231.jpg (822.78 KiB) Viewed 385 times
IMG_20230802_140938.jpg
IMG_20230802_140938.jpg (770.32 KiB) Viewed 385 times
IMG_20230802_141211.jpg
IMG_20230802_141211.jpg (315.75 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Amazing it holds water. Most Land Rover products have too many holes in them by that age for that to happen.