Freeloading Cnut

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Re: Freeloading Cnut

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:12 pm are galvanised chassis available for them yet?
I think they are now but weren't at the time, or one had just come out but it was prohibitably expensive? I don't think the ones that age are too bad a vehicle? It's just the inherent LR philosophy of not treating chassis that they've carried on for the last 70 years :roll: Plus the fact the way these are made which is just fucking stupid.
angrydicky wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:56 pm That’s some serious grot. Very impressive for a relatively young vehicle and quite worrying to think there will be others limping along with rot like that hidden by plates and underseal.
Indeed. It looked great on top, interior in good condition too, engine and drivetrain all good. The old boy that bought it hadn't looked underneath it as he's not exactly agile now. I had to break the bad news to him over the phone as his mate who asked me to take a look at it chickened out.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

Got it all back together and it only bloody works perfectly with no leaks! Took a bit of churning to start for the first time but starts first turn now.
Only other thing to report is the fitment of some seat covers in the front to protect the very clean beige upholstery, which won’t last five minutes with me in filthy clothes having been lying under cars etc.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

On behalf of all bikers I thank you for not dribbling diesel everywhere.

Unlike some twat near me, the road had more rainbows on earlier than a pride march.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I noticed some spilled on the road the other day when it was pissing down. I was in the van and went to brake gently for the roundabout and the abs kicked in. It must be deadly for bikers.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

It bloody is, had a massive fishtail on 14 the other month when I didn't see some. Full on tank slapper for 100yrds.

Killed my XJ40 on diesel too.
Private signature, do not read
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I nearly ditched my brand new (just built, first time out of my bedroom type 'brand new') Moto-Martin Z1000 in Lincoln as I hit some lovely gits stream of diesel. It was a freezing cold winters day and I was busy at the time holding my left hand on the cylinder head to get some warmth back in it.

The puckering effect my arsehole had on the seat was most decorative!
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

We’ve all been there. Diesel is as slippery as fuck.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

Well the Freeloader made it from Lincolnshire to South Wales to look at one Mayflower (which was pretty crap) then onto Surrey to look at another much better one which I bought, then I towed it home. Didn’t set the trip meter but it was quite a lot of miles and a tank and a half of diesel.
First time towing anything bigger than my little wooden trailer with it and it handled it quite well. The Bateson trailer I borrowed from work is a tilter and is fairly lardy - around 800kg unladen. Meaning the LR was not far off its towing limit with the car on. Putting the Mayflower on the back didn’t seem to make a lot of difference to the Freeloader. I had to work it quite hard to get moving especially on hills but once going it cruised along happily at 50/60mph all the way home.
On this long run the temp gauge moved to the middle for the first time, it’s never before gone more than a quarter.
On the way back we ran into the weekend road closure at the M25/A3 junction and got diverted into London. Managed to escape by going around the Tolworth roundabout and rejoining the A3 which by some miracle has avoided any ULEZ scameras. This bit isn’t in the zone but has the zone all around. A lucky escape as Ghengis doesn’t like smoky old diesels.

On the motorways it’s really good. On the terrible Lincolnshire roads it does feel a little vague and we managed to trace it to play in the steering rack. It’s done 140k so it’s surprising it’s worn but it doesn’t look too bad a job access wise and there’s a company advertising on ebay that they’ll recondition your one for £250 with a 24hr turnaround. So I’ll probably go for that-should be really good to drive with that fixed.
1B75CF67-75D4-46D3-8896-6374CFFA1327.jpeg
1B75CF67-75D4-46D3-8896-6374CFFA1327.jpeg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 234 times
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Could have provided tea and coffee I'm only about 10 miles from Cranleigh!
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

DodgeRover wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:11 pm Could have provided tea and coffee I'm only about 10 miles from Cranleigh!
Ah well, thanks for the thought! Nice part of the world. Satnav took us down some very narrow lanes on the way there which weren’t much fun with the trailer. So I was quite stressed and tired by the time I got there. My dad refuses to tow anything so it was a good 15.5 hour day for me- a lot of driving.