Monkey see, Monkey go - To Transylvania

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Monkey see, Monkey go - To Transylvania

Post by Hooli »

If I'd got them to fix it all I'd have tried to keep the lightly scratched lever for starters, for exactly that reason.

I carry a spare pair of levers under the seat on 14, just in case.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:44 pm Fingers crossed there's been no transit damage, obviously not the Mario hitting a wall type.

I'd ask what happens to the parts the insurance company keep, I imagine they might sell them off cheaply as they probably wouldn't be much use to them.
They get held for a short while just in case the insurance did want to see them for any reason, not anything that is obviously fucked through. Then the dealer disposes of them, usually onto the used parts market. The only time I know of when the insurance were interested was when a new frame was fitted to a neatly new bike and they came out to witness the old frame being disposed of, actually I think they came out twice, once they asked for the headstock with the fresher number to be cut off the damaged frame and they took it with them and the other time they wanted to witness the number being completely destroyed on the old frame.
fraser

Post by fraser »

Hooli wrote:I've not priced up the three gearshift parts, but I can't imagine it's more than £4-500 even at dealer prices to have them supplied fitted.
I've also asked Bub for a price to bring her home, it should save a bit more if I do the work myself & be easier than having to get down to collect her afterwards. I'd rather do it myself anyway, I prefer to as then I know it's done properly.
I'm should seeing about a £3.5k profit* from this once I get the excess back as that comes later when my insurance have reclaimed costs from the 3rd party insurance. Obviously marked panniers reduces resale value, but it's a bike I plan to keep for good so I'm not bothered about that.
A wee fixit party round your place then?

Sent from my RMO-NX1 using Tapatalk

christine

Post by christine »

And board meeting of mods about profit share
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

fraser wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:25 pm
Hooli wrote:I've not priced up the three gearshift parts, but I can't imagine it's more than £4-500 even at dealer prices to have them supplied fitted.
I've also asked Bub for a price to bring her home, it should save a bit more if I do the work myself & be easier than having to get down to collect her afterwards. I'd rather do it myself anyway, I prefer to as then I know it's done properly.
I'm should seeing about a £3.5k profit* from this once I get the excess back as that comes later when my insurance have reclaimed costs from the 3rd party insurance. Obviously marked panniers reduces resale value, but it's a bike I plan to keep for good so I'm not bothered about that.
A wee fixit party round your place then?

Sent from my RMO-NX1 using Tapatalk
Not worth it. I could have the gearshift done in about 45mins max once I've got the parts. That includes adjusting it half a dozen times to be at the right height.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Just bend the old one back to the correct shape?
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

DodgeRover wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:54 pm Just bend the old one back to the correct shape?
If it was that easy I'd have ridden it home. One part is snapped as well as the two bent bits.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Won't it weld? My only concern would be if the impact hit the shifter hard enough to bend something internally, highly unlikely I know given I've never done it bouncing gear levers off rocks whilst riding off road...
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

It's snapped inside the pivot for the forward controls. By the time it's welded and worked back to shape it'd be much easier to replace it.

I agree on the concern for the internals, but I reckon the shift rod beck to the box bending absorbed most of the load. Guess I'll find out when I try to change gear on it.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

christine wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:10 pm How will bub push that up onto a trailer ?

heavy bastard innit ? He said he was a cripp
It is and I am. But I have a ramp and a sturdy bike trailer. Or will have when I get the lights fitted. As hooli says too,if it starts it can be walked up the trailer,if it doesn't then there's going to be at least a couple of blokes there who can help push.