Monkey see, Monkey go - To Transylvania

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Monkey see, Monkey go - To Transylvania

Post by Hooli »

I got to see the estimate the dealer has sent to the insurance company today. They've some how managed to list about £4,700 of parts to replace! Including the tank and primary cover, both of which I'd swear are totally free of accident damage. Knocking off those and the end can I told them to ignore (as I'm going to.cut it down and repaint it anyway) saves £2k off the parts bill.

At £95 an hour labour you can bet their estimate would be around £6-6.5k Inc labour. Which on bike I'd guess is worth about £9k due to actually being ridden, is probably a write off.

I've queried it with the dealer as I'm 100% certain neither the tank nor the primary cover touched the floor. I know I had a good look around them and was surprised to see no damage after the accident.

If they write it off, I'll buy it back, replace the three parts on the gearshift which is all it needs to be roadworthy and continue to put a slightly* above average number of miles on it.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

You get good money for lightly damaged* parts the insurers have replaced, or they might now have damage that was done sometime when it was being repatriated?
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Progress!

I found out today the repair had been agreed by the insurance company. The dealer rung to tell me, obviously the insurance wouldn't bother keeping a customer updated.

I asked about keeping the old exhaust as I want to change it anyway, so either them not buying the replacement or me taking it boxed & selling it on seemed a plan. But the dealer can't do that as it'd involve a false invoice to the insurance company, which is understandable from a big company. They also couldn't allow me to keep the old parts as they become the insurance company's property.

I then rung the insurance again as apart from anything else I hadn't heard about how I get my excess back. I asked them about the parts & got offered the option that the full cost of the repair is paid out directly to me & I do whatever I want with the bike & money. Somehow the full cost is just shy of £4k so they obviously get a massive discount on parts compared to the estimate I saw.

Anyway, I'm going down the dealer on Saturday to go round the bike with a mechanic to see what damage they found that I'm not aware of. I suspect the bits they've found are wear & tear from me using it as I'm sure there was no accident damage on the tank or primary cover for starters. Provided there's not a massive dent I didn't know of in the tank etc then I'll take the cash from the insurance, just get the gear change fixed & ride it as is. Well, I'll get a touch up pen for the panniers & mirror stem but that's all it'll need.
christine

Post by christine »

Result ! Big presents around your christmas tree this year ..
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I've not priced up the three gearshift parts, but I can't imagine it's more than £4-500 even at dealer prices to have them supplied fitted.
I've also asked Bub for a price to bring her home, it should save a bit more if I do the work myself & be easier than having to get down to collect her afterwards. I'd rather do it myself anyway, I prefer to as then I know it's done properly.
I'm should seeing about a £3.5k profit* from this once I get the excess back as that comes later when my insurance have reclaimed costs from the 3rd party insurance. Obviously marked panniers reduces resale value, but it's a bike I plan to keep for good so I'm not bothered about that.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Fingers crossed there's been no transit damage, obviously not the Mario hitting a wall type.

I'd ask what happens to the parts the insurance company keep, I imagine they might sell them off cheaply as they probably wouldn't be much use to them.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:44 pm Fingers crossed there's been no transit damage, obviously not the Mario hitting a wall type.

I'd ask what happens to the parts the insurance company keep, I imagine they might sell them off cheaply as they probably wouldn't be much use to them.
I don't recall any when I went for a look after it first got to the dealer, I'm going again to double check I didn't miss something.
From what I know from people who've worked at dealers, they keep them for a while & then the insurance says they don't want them. The mechanics then take the bits worth taking & sell them themselves. But if I take the cash as I plan too, that won't matter.
christine

Post by christine »

How will bub push that up onto a trailer ?

heavy bastard innit ? He said he was a cripp
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

It runs & is stuck in 2nd, besides I might meet him there to get her. I just don't have access to a bike trailer or owt to tow one with.

We'll worry about that, if things go that way.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Hooli wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:03 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:44 pm Fingers crossed there's been no transit damage, obviously not the Mario hitting a wall type.

I don't recall any when I went for a look after it first got to the dealer, I'm going again to double check I didn't miss something.
From what I know from people who've worked at dealers, they keep them for a while & then the insurance says they don't want them. The mechanics then take the bits worth taking & sell them themselves. But if I take the cash as I plan too, that won't matter.
Sorry, I thought that some might be useful to you.

(Smartarse Alert: you could keep them for your next foreign trip, a bit like taking several mobiles)