Monkey see, Monkey go - To Transylvania

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Monkey see, Monkey go - To Transylvania

Post by Hooli »

I've been down the dealer again today for a look over it with the techy who did the list. There are two tiny chips on the tank I hadn't seen, from the size & shape of them I'd say the tank landed on my ankle as the bike fell over because they pretty much match the metal bits on my boots the laces go through. Which explains why my ankle was so bad, that's a lot of weight on an unarmoured boot. There is a small damaged area on the primary too, below the clutch cover but you can't see it till the bike is in the air or you get on the floor. I never got that low to look cause of my ankle at the time.

I can still fix it for a lot less than they quoted though. To be fair to them, all the damage they have listed is real just a lot of it won't bother me on a bike I'm keeping for good. The dealer tells me they don't paint stuff, they order replacements so it's got factory paint quality etc. The tank, primary cover and both panniers total about £2,200 for list price replacements, I'm happy to run them as they are with some touch up paint as I'm not expecting to ever sell the bike.

I might be odd, but as I plan to keep the bike long term I'd rather have minor marks that show it's history than replace loads of bits. As in my head once you've replaced loads of parts, it's not the same bike. It's just a bike that contains some of my bike's parts. That probably sounds daft to most people.

I'm getting prices off the dealer for just the parts for the gearshift & to supply & fit them. Chances are I'll let them do the work as it's less than an hour's effort. I know I could do it in 30mins or so. Along with that it'd be much easier to get a lift to ride her back than organise a trailer to do it myself.

Guess we'll see how long it takes the insurance to pay out now. I'll get paid minus my excess, even though it's a non-fault claim because they tell me the process is when they get the full payment off the other company that's when my excess comes back. The dealer reckons 7-10 days to order the parts, so that's getting close to shitsmus, meaning 4 months since a minor crash I'll get my bike back. Bloody good job I've got others or I'd have gone mad not riding for this long.
Private signature, do not read
NigelBickle

Post by NigelBickle »

Sounds a plan, potentially quids in, too. Just a pity it’s tak(en)ing so long.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Small update.

I've paid for the gearshift parts so they can be ordered. Awaiting the call off the dealer today to confirm when they should arrive. It's 7-10days If they are in stock at the warehouse. Provided they've got them, the workshop time is already booked so I might be able to get her back on the Fri or Sat before Xmas. I can't recall if I said, but the battery has died while stored & they are getting me a new one fitted under warranty as part of the job.

That'll give me a long weekend (as I do nothing for xmas) to cut the exhaust down, sort the other bits out and clean her. Think I'd better get online & find a nice open airfilter so I can do it all at once. As part of it, I'll reset all the learned fuelling adaptations in the ECU so I'd rather do the pipe & filter together to save doing that twice (not that it's difficult, just makes sense as it takes a while to learn the new setup).

Turns out my guess work of HD prices wasn't bad either. I thought £200-250 for parts, it's come out at £262.

As to how long it takes the insurance to pay me out, no idea they've not responded to the email yet.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Hooli wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:49 pm Small update.

I've paid for the gearshift parts so they can be ordered. Awaiting the call off the dealer today to confirm when they should arrive. It's 7-10days If they are in stock at the warehouse. Provided they've got them, the workshop time is already booked so I might be able to get her back on the Fri or Sat before Xmas. I can't recall if I said, but the battery has died while stored & they are getting me a new one fitted under warranty as part of the job.

That'll give me a long weekend (as I do nothing for xmas) to cut the exhaust down, sort the other bits out and clean her. Think I'd better get online & find a nice open airfilter so I can do it all at once. As part of it, I'll reset all the learned fuelling adaptations in the ECU so I'd rather do the pipe & filter together to save doing that twice (not that it's difficult, just makes sense as it takes a while to learn the new setup).

Turns out my guess work of HD prices wasn't bad either. I thought £200-250 for parts, it's come out at £262.

As to how long it takes the insurance to pay me out, no idea they've not responded to the email yet.
I thought that you were Santa at the local department store. You've got just the right temperament for it.
fraser

Post by fraser »

Glad to see this is finally getting sorted.

Sent from my RMO-NX1 using Tapatalk

Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Hooli wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:49 pm It's 7-10days If they are in stock at the warehouse.
What a lot pish! It's fucking 2023, not 1923!

I used to have a good fucking moan at Russell down the Kawasaki dealer (back in the 90s) when he was telling me next day for a clutch cable when I needed it yesterday. Fucker could have at least held one in stock. So we always used to double up the cables on the bike so things could be fixed on the spot. (If the wheels ain't turning, you ain't earning).

More recently I was in the BMW Motorrad dealer to be told 48 hours! FFS things have got slower in 20 years.

Most impressive was oddly a JLR order of a rocker shaft spring that "might miss the cut" at 1.03pm and I received a SMS at 2.30pm to say it was in. Same. Fucking. Day.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Oddly enough it's exactly the same lead time the dealer in Bucharest quoted.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Blimey, I've already been paid out!

They told me I'd still get the excess, when the claim completes with the other company. I wonder how long that takes or if they lied?
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

As it's another country I imagine it'd take a while.

1616six (?) is an insurance expert and on here. He probably doesn't read this thread due a low boredom threshold so it might be worth messaging him.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

I should have rung to ask today, but I totally forgot.

I did find an almost new K&N oval open air filter for half price on eBay though and that's on its way here. It'll be ready to fit when I get Quinn home.