I hope it's safe to post this in here, Ami 8/2cv parts interchangibility

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DaveDorson

I hope it's safe to post this in here, Ami 8/2cv parts interchangibility

Post by DaveDorson »

My brother doesn't do forums much these days and only really glances at AS.

Some of you have probably seen that Stinkwheel sold his Ami 8 on the beige to an unknown shitter, and that I'd tagged my brother Drew on there teasing him about not buying it because he's sensible, and although he wants one and he's come close to buying one before, he's just bought a house and it needs some work.. he'll never spend the money on himself, so big brother has stepped in to surprise him come his birthday in July..

Yep, I bought the car, my plan is to make sure it's solid*, try and sort the front end out so it doesn't look like it's having a stroke, sort out the caliper rebuild and do the discs and pads, put some nicer tyres on it and then get it taken up to a mates near his and basically give him it on his birthday, with hopefully some off road secure storage arranged for him too, so he's got something he can just use and enjoy when the mood takes him, and avoid domestic upset by forcing him to empty his garage, and/or stick that eyesore on the drive where his wife can shout at him for it, and give me grief for being such an enabler.

As you'd have seen, the seats are utterly roached on there and although I know a trimmer, who can probably match covers to the rear bench, she has said the foams probably will want replacing.

It's never going to be a concourse car, however I'd like to make it "not minging" if I can, and the seats will be part of that.

Ami 8 stuff seems to be hard to find, but 2cv stuff isn't, so my question (it'll shock you it's not related to my own sanity), is can I just whack some good 2cv seats in it and have them trimmed to suit, are the bases/cushions and that the same, is the frame the same?
cros
The Elastrator

Re: I hope it's safe to post this in here, Ami 8/2cv parts interchangibility

Post by cros »

ami2.jpg
ami2.jpg (328.51 KiB) Viewed 864 times
I've had 2cvs and this Ami and all I can say is that most bits fit if you whack 'em The tailgate fitted nicely just behind the drivers seat... I see next door had a Capri, never noticed at the time but would have preferred it to these flimsy things.
Last edited by cros on Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

No idea I'm afraid but a very nice thought.
I'm going to have to block you on here as it's alien to our philosophy.
Anyway good luck.
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

cros wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:01 am ami2.jpg

I've have 2cvs and this Ami and all I can say is that most bits fit if you whack 'em The tailgate fitted nicely just behind the drivers seat... I see next door had a Capri, never noticed at the time but would have preferred it to these flimsy things.
What a lovely (flimsy) thing. Do tell us more please!
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Asimo wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:15 am
cros wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:01 am ami2.jpg

I've have 2cvs and this Ami and all I can say is that most bits fit if you whack 'em The tailgate fitted nicely just behind the drivers seat... I see next door had a Capri, never noticed at the time but would have preferred it to these flimsy things.
What a lovely (flimsy) thing. Do tell us more please!
There was a small scrapyard up the road from my house and the Ami Estate was outside . The owner hated them and said its not worth wheeling through the gate, so I had it for a fiver and chopped the back off. I shifted lots of scabby old bikes at the time and carted them about in it. It did a fair old bit of work including a laden trip to Germany but in the end I got a Marina van from a plasterer for 40 quid which was superior in my view. It was a bit plastery inside, but you didn't care in those days.
cuntbuster

Post by cuntbuster »

DaveDorson wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:22 am
sort the front end out so it doesn't look like it's having a stroke
Good fucking luck with that. I have never seen an Ami that doesn’t answer to that description.
Who you gonna call
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Surprising though it might sound, I like AMIs. Good luck with it all.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
DaveDorson

Post by DaveDorson »

Well, the Ami arrived at my workshop yesterday, assesment so far is that it needs a body mount at the back welding together, it has a flywheel oil seal leak, the carb is pissing fuel out the top and the brake lines are not properly routed/secure, and the petrol hose is a bit degraded so wants swapping out for something a bit less cracked and eaten. Probably related to shit modern fuels.

However, I looked at the car before I bought it, I knew it'd need some work, and as such I won't make a song and dance about it, instead I'll just crack on with the work.

My brother is over today, as my mum has to have an MRI and he wanted to take her, so I'll run him over to the unit and show him his present.. I can't wait to see the horror on his face.
DaveDorson

Post by DaveDorson »

Well, Drew was shocked. He's not unhappy though.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

DaveDorson wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:17 pm Well, Drew was shocked. He's not unhappy though.
That in itself would be reason for a multi paragraph rant on the beige.

It's a really nice thing you are doing.