Fleet Shuffling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: Fleet Shuffling

Post by Eddie Honda »

BenHar wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:16 pm I pointed out the bubbles under the vinyl on the C pillars but you said it was fine.
It will be fine at the point he's selling it. He does all the hard welding so you don't have to!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

BenHar wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:16 pm
SiC wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:11 pm
BenHar wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:34 pm

I did warn you that it might be a tad rusty.

Ben
Thats like saying to a BMW 320d owner that it might shit its cam chain.

All Dolomites are flipping rusty!
When you were looking at it you said it seemed solid.

I pointed out the bubbles under the vinyl on the C pillars but you said it was fine.

Ben
Its not vinyl on the C pillars. Its plastic.

There was barely any rust under there. Certainly not holed like most.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

A Dolly Sprint isn't just a great car, it's a decent long term investment. Keep it.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

C pillar
PXL_20230426_192411611.jpg
PXL_20230426_192411611.jpg (479.04 KiB) Viewed 508 times
C pillar trim
PXL_20230426_193145073.jpg
PXL_20230426_193145073.jpg (553.36 KiB) Viewed 508 times
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

So today I test drove a Spitfire. It was ace. I want (need) it. 

I need to sell a car and the Dolomite is the chosen one as it makes the most sense. Highest value, most amount of work till a driver. I posted up on the Dolomite FB page and got a bit of a mixed response about values. That said, at the bottom end it's still about what I paid. If I split the spares then I can recoup most costs. 

I put some pictures up of it and admittedly not the most flattering. Probably why I didn't get the best response. Plus it's Facebook.

While scrolling through, I saw this photo. Pre mass poking. I said to myself "why did I have to poke and ruin it so much"

For me to put the Spitfire somewhere I have to clear the decks. To do this I need to get the Dolomite on the drive and sort it out. Headlight in, windscreen in, interior fully and get it running. 

This evening I went out to the garage to sort it. While I was there I thought I'd better put up an advert for the P4 as if that did sell, it would be less work to sell than the Dolomite. Even though the Dolomite should fetch more. 

Currently the Dolomite is penned in with parts from different cars. So this needed all clearing off so I could start sorting it.

I cleared all the Midget parts out of the way and put the c-pillar trim on.

I looked at the almost done wheel arch repair and thought "hmm. I sloshed some filler on the P4 and it didn't take too long while looking almost presentable. I have nothing to lose if I try on here"

With that thought, this happened.

Not finished of course but being in the garage, I can leave it without the elements mucking it up. It needs a few more sand/filler/sand/filler cycles but it won't take much. Yes the bottom arch needs fixing in but that's pretty see straightforward.

I stepped back and thought, this is a friggin cool car. Sometimes being in the presence of something can make your mind change. 

It suddenly clicked.

Yes the P4 is a great car. It is lovely to drive, it's big and imposing, it fully works (rare for me!) and it's interesting.

But driving that Spitfire reminded me of something. I love sports cars. The Dolomite Sprint is a sports saloon. It looks cool, it's fast, it's fun to drive and also interesting. 

So why am I getting rid of it? Because it needs a lot of work? 

Yes it does. However! I've only poked one side. Let's get the driver's side all done and drive it for a bit. The work on the P4 has proved I can do it reasonably quickly. I just need to strongly follow the motto of "better done than perfect". In terms of condition, it's been stored in a garage for the last 3+ years, and it's not deteriorated that much as it hasn't been exposed to elements. Sort the driver's side and it'll probably pass an MOT just fine again even.

So the plan: (as always, subject to change)
- Spitfire incoming
- P4 outgoing
- Dolomite to storage for a bit so I can knuckle down on the Midget. I'll need to have a sort out down there to make room as Mrs SiC is less than impressed with this spares pile in the garden.

- Garage space is freed up with the Dolomite in storage to allow me to use the MGB more and swap around with the Spitfire over this spring/summer period.

- Boxster and TT won't be able to go into storage and will have to live on the drive. That's okay as they're modern and won't deteriorate like classics being exposed to elements. Plus we're coming to summer soon anyway. 

Immediate steps:
 - Make a serious effort to sell the P4. That includes sorting the paint on the repaired wing.
 - Drive the P4 to a classic meet this weekend (weather dependent). This should fulfil most of my needs with the P4.
 - Get the Dolomite out of the garage this weekend and put it together more. Mostly as this makes it easier to move and crucially is a mojo booster if it's mostly in one piece again. 
 - Find someone to transport it the short distance to storage. I possibly could drive it there but I don't want to push my luck too much!
 - Get the Spitfire home
 - Have some classic motoring fun.

Game on.
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:37 am So today I test drove a Spitfire. It was ace. I want (need) it. 

I need a Tommy
FTFY. Much simpler.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:53 pm Yeah it has OD. Sits at just over 3k at 70mph iirc
Makes a decent difference then, from old memories my Midget was about 3,750 at 70.
Private signature, do not read
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I get you're a sportscar person, but I don't get what a Spitfire will offer over a Midget or a BGT?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:31 pm I get you're a sportscar person, but I don't get what a Spitfire will offer over a Midget or a BGT?
I'll have finally Pokémon them after all these years.

Why own a TT when I have a Boxster?

Why own seven cars when one would be sufficient?

Hell why own anything else when I have a Honda Civic estate that does everything you ever need in a car (apart from fun)!

Cars are an illogical purchase that don't really make sense.
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:31 pm I get you're a sportscar person, but I don't get what a Spitfire will offer over a Midget or a BGT?
MOAR scuttle shake!