Fleet Shuffling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Fleet Shuffling

Post by SiC »

The maximum amount of cars I can own is 6. N+1 theory (i.e. one more than maximum) says that the 7 cars I currently own, is the perfect amount for me.

However I want a Spitfire. No point debating with me on the merits of them (some say none) but I want one. I've mentioned the reasons why a few times so I won't bore you the full details. TL;DR is around the time I started really getting interested in cars (rather than just planes) I was 18 and went round the Haynes museum. Decided there I wanted a BGT, Midget or Spitfire. I'm in the lucky position (probably not forever) that I can own all three. The first two are ticked off (Midget still needs finishing) so just need the third.

But that means I need to sell something to make room. Two in storage, two in the garage and two on the drive is enough. My funds aren't unlimited and I have a lot tied up in cars. The question is which one.

As usual with my threads, this will almost certainly end up as a buying/running thread soon enough. Just this time a Spitfire.

So what is currently in the fleet and their status?

1963 Rover P4 110
Last in. Running and driving just fine.

1968 MG Midget
Currently it doesn't look like this (see further photo below in the garage) but I'm still plodding on with restoration. I have enjoyed doing the bodywork on this.

1974 Dolomite Sprint
This is slowly being consumed by boxes and car parts. I really want to get this back on the road but enthusiasm has dwindled. A right pain to work on and panels are non existent or very expensive. Just ask Gingernutz/Captain70 how much they enjoyed fixing the green Dolomite up.
An awful lot of work still needs to be done but some of it could potentially be deferred if I wanted to get it on the road sooner.
I haven't done anything on this for at least 2 years now.
But it's the coolest car I own (imo) and will be fantastic once done.

1974 MGB GT
I've not had it out this year but intend to. I think I've owned this for nearly 6 years now and the longest I've ever owned a car. My first classic and one of the three that I've always wanted.
I don't think I've got bored of it yet.

2000 Porsche Boxster
I've had this for four years now. I did contemplate selling it but once I jumped back in, I realised that was a silly thing to think about. Maybe this is my last season with it.

2003 Audi TT
For a long time I hated TTs. The funny thing is, I still don't particularly love them now.
However this car literally does everything I need in a car. Cheap to buy, fast enough to overtake with ease, reasonable on fuel, handles well enough and comfortable on long journeys. Bodywork is reasonable but as this photo shows, it gets doors smashed in by people parking too close and not giving a damn about other peoples cars. A good reason why I could never own a really expensive new car.
If I had to get rid of all my cars for whatever reason, this is the one I'd keep.

2015 Honda Civic Tourer
The most expensive car I've ever bought. Not too happy about it but it keeps Mrs SiC happy. Technically it's her car, even though I pay the loan on it.
Non mover as I don't want a divorce. It's only here for completeness.

The question is, which one(s) would you keep and which would go?
Last edited by SiC on Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Fleet Shuffling

Post by SiC »

My current thinking:

My head says Dolomite but my heart says keep. Going by a recently sold one on eBay for £4600, I should be able to fetch similar if I put it back together again (windscreen in/interior in/headlights back on)

P4 would naturally be the leaver as Last In but I don't feel I've had all the fun out of it. Very different to my other cars, so it does keep me engaged because of that. Also it fully drives and works. Would be an easy car to sell as it works.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I'd get rid of the dolomite. It's just in the way and like you say you've done nowt to it in two years and it's probably the most valuable which will release some money for when you inevitibly poke holes in your new aquisition.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Just flog the one you get first bite on
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Eddie has the right idea but from a financial point of view finish the dolly and cash it in. I have the same problem with this proxy Jensen. It is worth good money finished but fuck all as it is.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Once I put a car up for sale, in my mind it's going either way. My Dolly as is isn't far off this recently ended one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145035453149
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

There is the red Spitfire up here. It’s not going to be advertised and if anyone buys it, it’ll be you.

I’d sell the Dolomite as is. That’s the Spitfire money.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:23 pm There is the red Spitfire up here. It’s not going to be advertised and if anyone buys it, it’ll be you.

I’d sell the Dolomite as is. That’s the Spitfire money.
I got the impression that the owner of the red one was on the fence about selling it. If he is committed to then I'm still interested.

There are two others that are potentials. One that has just been recommissioned and £2k parts thrown at it but will likely need more mechanical attention once pressed into use. It's been for sale for a bit so I reckon I could make a sharp offer.

Another that is slightly more expensive but has had a few hundred miles under it after recommissioning and for sale by someone on AS I reckon I could very much safely trust. This car I pretty much could jump in and use.

Selling the Dolomite for a runner + driver would solve my problem of lack of undercover storage space at home when swapping cars around. Biggest risk of loosing money but I think I'd be alright.

It's just hard to accept that I haven't finished it and nor will I get another. A nice one now is £10k+ and I can't justify that on one.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Couldn't you use the MG to do everything the Porsche will do (at speeds not likely to result in a ban) and leave it in the station car park?
That would free up 2 extra places

The Rover would also make a good station car with the addition of a suitable disclock.
JimH

Post by JimH »

My own view is a bit like what we used to do with shirts. One to wear, one in the draw and one in the wash. You need something to drive, a project to work on and a project for when that one is finished.

I live with a TT as a smoker and agree that while I loathe Audis and all they stand for you can get three kids in it, the dogs can go in the back, it costs fuck all to run and the seats are comfy. The Rover looks nice to work on as a project and keep the Midget in the pending file. Clear your feet of everything else.