Do EVs make sense to you?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Do EVs make sense to you?

Post by LynehamHerc »

I've just seen an article about what is supposedly the smallest car VAG will make in the future, about the size of an Up! but 22k+!

Unless there's a massive reduction in the cost, maybe we buy them all from China, I just cannot see a viable market for them. At some stage as well most if not all of the tax benefits will disappear.

It really seems to be driven by Greta and the other virtue signallers.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Do EVs make sense to you?

Post by mercrocker »

The whole thing seems a massive conspiracy to make us pay more for all the things that actually do work. Like fossil fuel heating.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Yep, heat pumps seem to be pretty oversold as well for example. Solar panels I can see the sense of to an extent but we have a South facing roof and they still don't seem to add up financially unless you have some pretty pessimistic assumptions regarding fossil fuel costs.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Not checked to see if it's right, but was talk to a local bod about the proposed local quarry, he said the sand will be taken away on the canal using ELECTRIC barges. Do such things exist?
As I suspected I was right about everything.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

They do make sense as far as companies making money goes, they don't make any sense to buy, or use. None of the environmental arguments for them add up either.

Same as heat pumps & all the other tosh being forced on us.
Private signature, do not read
JimH

Post by JimH »

mercrocker wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:29 am The whole thing seems a massive conspiracy to make us pay more for all the things that actually do work. Like fossil fuel heating.
There is no conspiracy. There is never any conspiracy because the twats can't get it together to have a drinks party without having to resign let alone run some global multi-agency masterplan. For that to happen you would have to believe that people of the caliber of John Prescott were sentient.

No, this is the usual perfect storm of shysters out for a fast buck and greedy dipsticks thinking they can have some other greedy dipstick's money all ably assisted be intellectually stunted politicians of all stripes genuinely believing in their hearts of hearts that they hold the answer to this problem and the path they are staggering down is the right one.

I've given up discussing these matters with anyone because at some point the whole shitstorm will hit the buffers of reality, the wheels will come and peace will return to the valley once more.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

As fast on the road as a supercar from a decade ago, quiet and smooth as a Rolls-Royce, enough driver aids to nearly have a chauffeur on board when doing long distances and always ready to go without remembering to fuel up. I'll definitely get one in a few years when they've gone down the food chain a bit and cheaper to buy. It won't replace my toys but as modern, reliable appliance to get me about then they fit the bill just perfectly.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:00 am As fast on the road as a supercar from a decade ago, quiet and smooth as a Rolls-Royce, enough driver aids to nearly have a chauffeur on board when doing long distances and always ready to go without remembering to fuel up. I'll definitely get one in a few years when they've gone down the food chain a bit and cheaper to buy. It won't replace my toys but as modern, reliable appliance to get me about then they fit the bill just perfectly.
Then when every other mug does the same thing & the national grid collapses under the strain, you'll be stuck with a fancy milkfloat you're unable to charge up while proper cars will still work.
Private signature, do not read
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Infrastructure. What fucking infrastructure?!...
20211013_171202.jpg
20211013_171202.jpg (602.5 KiB) Viewed 674 times
20191006_162437.jpg
20191006_162437.jpg (500.07 KiB) Viewed 674 times
One of those supplies my hovel and 4 other properties, the other 2 shops with flats above. My old man is in his seventies and he reckons they were old when he was an apprentice spark, he estimates 1940's. I know the cable they just jointed into for next doors 3 phase supply was dated 1962 as I asked the bloke stood in the hole working on it and it was still visible in the lead sheathing.

Good luck putting car chargers up the high Street and tapping onto it.

Then there's the transformers. I found a source a while back saying that the average transformer in the UK was made in the 60's iirc.

All reminds me of the Smart* motorways debacle with far less organisation behind it.
Last edited by Scruffy Bodger on Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Hooli wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:04 am
SiC wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:00 am As fast on the road as a supercar from a decade ago, quiet and smooth as a Rolls-Royce, enough driver aids to nearly have a chauffeur on board when doing long distances and always ready to go without remembering to fuel up. I'll definitely get one in a few years when they've gone down the food chain a bit and cheaper to buy. It won't replace my toys but as modern, reliable appliance to get me about then they fit the bill just perfectly.
Then when every other mug does the same thing & the national grid collapses under the strain, you'll be stuck with a fancy milkfloat you're unable to charge up while proper cars will still work.
The car battery won't suddenly go flat while hooked up to charge if the local substation is load shed? As most journeys don't require a full charge either, there likely large amount of energy still stored in there if I wanted to go somewhere.

That energy even could then potentially provide power to the house as a backup reserve while you're plunged into darkness and moaning about how you're not going to get an electric car. Even if the car isn't back feeding the house, it's very likely I'll have powerwall type battery attached to the house doing the same.

If it was pretty much flat, the local grid was out temporarily and I need to go anywhere, I'll just drive my other car. Which quite possibly will be internal combustion powered vehicle anyway.

What a nonsensical reason to not get one.
Last edited by SiC on Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.