Retiring abroad

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Retiring abroad

Post by Hooli »

SubPar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:41 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:25 pm I don't really want to escape from Britain but would like to be further away from people.
At the ripe old age of 33 I already feel this way.

I'm becoming a proper grumpy old man. I'm getting pissed off at how noisy people in general tend to be. I live in an alright street surrounded by rough areas, and I hear shitboxes with straight-through exhausts, people leaning on their horns, or just all-out shouting matches in the street outside several times a day. I don't even have the windows open either.

For contrast, I grew up on a farm. Whenever I visit the parents' farm it's bliss. The only noises you hear that aren't your own creation are tractors in the distance.

One of the things I loved about my cottage was the village only had 13 houses & the loudest thing most days was the Red Kites circling above.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I know what you mean.

I can hear the sea when I go out to feed the birds on a morning.
The peace is really only broken when the USAF F15s fly over on their way to the North Sea Ranges but, given the speed they go at, it doesn't last long.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Peace and tranquility are at a decided premium these days aren't they? We don't get much gyp from noisy neighbours although there are those incapable of shutting car doors quietly or conversing at a normal level with those next to them. Constant traffic noise must be the hardest to bear - I don't mind actual engine noise - it is the not-far-enough-away drone and wind tunnel effect that gets on your tits.

I can sometimes hear the docks where I used to work but that just makes me grin slightly now.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:36 pm I know what you mean.

I can hear the sea when I go out to feed the birds on a morning.
The peace is really only broken when the USAF F15s fly over on their way to the North Sea Ranges but, given the speed they go at, it doesn't last long.
See, I'd be up for seeing some F15s now and then. They're interesting. That noise doesn't bother me because it's not being created by some gobby cunt screwing up a drug deal.

The parents' farm is situated at the end of a valley, with trees at the side of the house towards the valley. One day the jets from Lossiemouth evidently didn't notice there was a house behind the trees. I was outside helping dad do some work on a trailer and these fuckers went over just above the tree tops on full afterburner. My ears were ringing for a good 10 minutes afterwards. Absolutely awesome.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I always fancied a place in France but one thing I am coming to realise now is it is a fit young persons game really. My dad moved down here to Somerset in his late 60's and it is surprising how different things are 10 years later. He had a slight stroke and has had his driving license revoked so has to rely on me or friends to get about. He also wanted a bit of land when we first moved here but has now come to the conclusion he wouldn't be able to do anything with it if he had it. We all think we will be fit and healthy but as you get older you can do less and the lovely solitary middle of nowhere place suddenly becomes a prison and you can't afford to get back over here. It is a nice dream and maybe one day I might do it but will always keep a place back here for when it all goes wrong.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
stillOrange

Post by stillOrange »

Both these are in more than livable conditions, with some land and barns or workshops, not too close to others.

£47k https://www.hemnet.se/bostad/villa-4rum ... 5-17344716

£58k https://www.hemnet.se/bostad/villa-2rum ... d-17286395

That's just 5 minutes on the local Rightmove. Further up north, more secluded, bigger land and cheaper.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Sweden is way too cold and dark for my liking.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The problem with a lot of the rural French houses is how utterly dated inside they are. Not only that, knackered looking and spartan.

I remember DaveNumbers also saying how much more expensive buying DIY stuff was over in France too. Plus traded being even more useless than they are over here (sorry Paul).
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

I suppose one advantage of the US to the UK is that there are 1/10th of the population per square mile. Lots of space to get away from others.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Decent double glazing makes a massive difference. We live next door to a pub and a busy cross roads with lights and four way crossing. When we moved in we had the old fashioned sash windows and the first job we did was change them for double glazed replicas.
We hear next to fuck all now. Nothing at all from the pub (especially atm) and unless there's a tosser with a straight through exhaust, we hardly hear the traffic either.