Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by Drum »

Squire's lift

[youtube][/youtube]
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:07 pm It's the sort of thing I ought to have bought five years ago. For me to would be a waste of time unless you can stand underneath the car to remove a gearbox, diff or exhaust.

Too late as I am doing very little car work now. After this week's fight to the death with a piece of shit Saab I realised that I actually hate working on cars. I'm making mistakes and getting depressed about having to lift a spanner. The relief when I completed this week's job and tidied up, locked the door and fucked off home.

I've had a bellyfull of cars.

It's sad to see the Humber about to meet its maker after 50 or 60 years. Seeing all this modern garbage in scrapyards at 10-12 years old.......unrusty and unlamented.

It makes a big difference being forced work on them and wanting to work on them.
Work on the saab and van, I pay someone to do it. I just can't be arsed/have no interest.
I like nothing better than spannering on the mx5. It's a weight off your shoulders knowing that if it does go tits up, I don't need to rely on it to get to work or whatever. Plus if I get sick I just pack up and go indoors. I did the roll bar in two hour sessions over four or five days.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Same as....I don't touch the Focus, rarely the T25 but do most of the Cowley/Minor spannering as neither vehicle is required to get the missus mobile or take us on holiday. I don't really do brakes and steering either, these days. Grunting things on and off has lost its appeal and I mainly like to tuck in my tie, roll up my sleeves and look like I am on the cover of a 1959 Practical Motorist.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

Splendid rust on the humber. Rear axle not too bad?
As I suspected I was right about everything.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:07 pm
I'm making mistakes and getting depressed about having to lift a spanner. The relief when I completed this week's job and tidied up, locked the door and fucked off home.

I've had a bellyfull of cars.
I think we all feel like that from time to time. There are some periods when everything seems to be going wrong. When I get frustrated and angry I down tools and come back the next day or so, usually feeling much better approaching the problem with fresh eyes.

treehugger wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:43 am Splendid rust on the humber. Rear axle not too bad?
Although this car is going to the great garage in the sky its 'organs' will live on. The engine and overdrive transmission along with the axle are all earmarked for another project. Nothing will be going to waste. I find these scrappers an interesting study, as it shows you which areas are most prone to rust and you can see how the car body was constructed. In this case however the whole underbody has rotted away. I think it was sat in a field for many years which does no good, and the windscreen was smashed.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Parking any unitary vehicle on grass is a death sentence. I know folk criticise banger racers but at least some good parts come into the fold from cars in the Gladiator's ring of death. This rarely happens when one of those "I-know-what-its-worth" cunts puts a motor round the side of the house, underneath a dripping gutter and in three feet of grass.
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

There are some folk with funny ideas about what things are worth. Years ago my cousin found a jag series 3 estate laid up in rural North Yorkshire, well fairly rural. Guy had a few cars, the estate was going a bit, off the road, missing at least one door. Looked ideal for banger racing, but matey wanted two grand as it had once been owned by a lord. Years later was still there, getting more and more rot. Not sure if its still there.
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

My mate who lived near Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire (famously damp) had a saab he got from ebay, ran it for a year but had to live on road. Floor pan rotted away, he flogged it for same as he paid for it, not much over a hundred. Man who bought it was going to have it on its side and weld a new floor in.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I rarely, if ever knock on the door of a house where there is an old car I’d like. It’s been sat there rotting away for years because they’re GONNA DO IT UP ONE DAY.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Exactly what the bloke said near me about his Riley 4/72. 20 years (yep, 20) later a banger racer finally got it (and paid good money). It broke its back before it got up the beavertail. A complete and utter waste of a car that failed the MOT on an outrigger - £50 welding bill.