Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by mercrocker »

Luckily Allegro windows seem more amenable to fixage than Windows 10. Looks reassuringly Harvest Gold inside there instead of any other shade of brown....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I still think you should have invested in this rather than the Minor. How much work does it need?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I didn't know your Allgro was Harvest Gold. Doesn't look too bad condition from that photo either.

Don't blame Windows for your photos, blame Hooli for still not sorting out the forum software plugins so it deals with image metadata properly.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:23 pm I still think you should have invested in this rather than the Minor. How much work does it need?
Not a lot. Bit of welding to the sill ends (rear) behind those plastic stone guards which trap water and silt. I covered the coin-sized holes years ago with Denso tape and it hasn't got any worse. The most terrible part is the nearside rear sill when you open the door which really wants cutting out now, and the front end is starting to go where they all do, so it wants nipping in the bud. Also wants a front wing (the existing replacement was never fitted properly) but I have a NOS wing. Mechanically it is excellent and I regularly drove it down to Gosport sometimes bettering 47 mpg and negligible oil consumption. Thing is I just like the Minor more despite the Aggy being a vastly better car.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

My other consideration is that I need a station wagon to cart all my shit about; a booted supermini has its limitations in that respect and it is just too rare to risk damaging the upholstery and trim.
Squire Dawson

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Working on the 1100 and Dolomite remind me of that. The MGB has so much available that I don't fear being able to get parts to fix it. The other two however is a real fight to find a lot of stuff - especially panels.

Minor of course is the same as the MGB with so much still available. Of course quality is high variable and usually shit, but at least you can get stuff to work with and make it work. Its why I quite fancy a Morris Minor. You can use it without fearing you're ruining it irrepairably.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

fried onions wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:35 pm
The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:23 pm I still think you should have invested in this rather than the Minor. How much work does it need?
Not a lot. Bit of welding to the sill ends (rear) behind those plastic stone guards which trap water and silt. I covered the coin-sized holes years ago with Denso tape and it hasn't got any worse. The most terrible part is the nearside rear sill when you open the door which really wants cutting out now, and the front end is starting to go where they all do, so it wants nipping in the bud. Also wants a front wing (the existing replacement was never fitted properly) but I have a NOS wing. Mechanically it is excellent and I regularly drove it down to Gosport sometimes bettering 47 mpg and negligible oil consumption. Thing is I just like the Minor more despite the Aggy being a vastly better car.
I'm guessing that now the Minor resto people have proved their mettle, they'll be getting the Legro before long...? It's a rare car worthy of expenditure. I haven't driven one for 30 years but like an A Series Metro I suspect it's perfect for local running about. These, early Golfs, 1300's etc with light weight, long travel suspension, skinny tyres, thin pillars and a small torquey engine are probably better town cars than modern cars.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

No, it's somebody else's turn. I can't keep throwing money at cars, the Traveller is already over budget so it will be paying this back in service. Bodywork is bloody expensive.
Squire Dawson

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Feel your pain,Squire....I've shelved any immediate plans to replace the Focus with another Interesting for this very reason. 2 Morrises and a camper van has already given me enough to worry about in what is a relatively short driving season. I'd love to get something like an Arrow Hillman or pre-O series Marina but we have to face facts that these are no longer disposable moderns but another equally needy old car - often with greater parts challenges than the Minor and BMC running gear of the Cowley.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Yes, these once common cars are just too rare to use and abuse now and they deserve preserving.

After monitoring for a few months I think the Humber's faulty voltage regulators have damaged the hard rubber battery. I'm getting hydrometer readings on all cells of 1.230 which is half charged, and the battery voltage off load engine off is around 11 volts. It's still starting the engine but is very sluggish when cold. Won't improve after a lengthy trickle charge.
Bollocks, that was new in March 2018 at a cost of £180 so has cost £60 a year, although it is a period piece of course hence the cost. I doubt LinCon cover them under guarantee but I'll ask them anyway. I can't be certain it was the regulators to blame but as the electrolyte was having to be topped up every month, the over-charging could have damaged the plates.
Squire Dawson