Austin A55 Cambridge

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Re: Austin A55 Cambridge

Post by angrydicky »

SiC wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:13 pm What is WSJ262? Not sure I've seen you talk about that one before.

Btw the reg thing is easier to say now with a MOT being a requirement for transfer according to the DVLA website. Doesn't stop an MOT by post, but at least it gives slightly more of a barrier.
It’s a rather delightful 1935 Standard 12hp which belongs to my dad.
8AE13E19-196F-4F8C-AC4F-75B0B168EDCE.jpeg
8AE13E19-196F-4F8C-AC4F-75B0B168EDCE.jpeg (861.75 KiB) Viewed 516 times
It hasn’t enjoyed the winter layup, it split its bottom hose just before Christmas and dumped its coolant, now the battery has finally given up the ghost and it’s a PITA to get to (under the floor) to get jump leads onto.
When we get a replacement battery in there I’m thinking about adding a couple of jump points in a convenient location where a charger or leads can be connected if required.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Great thread.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:16 pm Thank fuck for Tommy.
He’s a good bloke. Despite this car being a bit old for him to have much knowledge of, he recognised the importance of it finding a good new home, with someone who will keep the original numberplate on it. He dislikes plate raping as much as I do, hence why he was so quick to talk his friend out of doing it.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I've just shown the recipe for this car to my father-in-law. He remembers the garage in Worcester and he bought a motorbike from them.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

SiC wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:12 pm What a story. I'm always amazed what seems stashed away in garages still. I'd have thought these aged cars would have all been cleared out now.

I've been watching a fair bit of Old Classic Car on YouTube and it's gained me a lot more appreciation of these cars. It's not that these everyday journeyman cars are great drivers but it's the history and back story behind them that makes them so interesting. Driving something that has survived that long is phenomenal. Everytime you get behind the wheel, you're transported back to another era and world that is quite literally a lifetime away nos.
I got my Austin Somerset out for a run over to Coningsby Co-op today and I felt exactly like that. It’s great fun to drive once you get over the heavy steering, especially at parking speed. No they don’t like to be rushed, especially the gears but it’s such a pleasant experience trundling around in something of this sort of age. Even the brakes feel great after last summer’s overhaul.
Long before he started the YouTube channel, Rick Jones ran a website and forum dedicated to porridgey old cars and it’s a great read, there’s loads of period photos and buyers guides and stuff he’s written on there. Well worth a look.
His Dodge racing car transporter restoration is particularly inspirational. I was lucky enough to visit Rick in 2015 and look over his collection. Top bloke in real life.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:39 pm I've just shown the recipe for this car to my father-in-law. He remembers the garage in Worcester and he bought a motorbike from them.
That’s amazing, what a small world.
A friend of mine in Wales owns WDF 7, an A35 which was sold new by a dealership in Berkeley, Gloucestershire according to the badge on the doorcard. His was registered 1st Jan 1959, mine was registered on the 2nd.
Unfortunately no such badge on this one.
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

What a lovely old thing, although I was expecting a red interior. Does the floor change mean it’s an instant rally car? Basically a 4 door MGA !

In 1975 we moved to new house and in the garage at the bottom of the garden was a grey Farina Cambridge or Oxford . Can’t remember much about it ( I was 11) ,but my Dad pulled it out and dumped it in the street. It took about 6 months before it disappeared , crazy to think it could have only been 15 years old and as new as 5 or 6 ..
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

angrydicky wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:19 pm The starting handle was inside the car. The engine turned over on the handle, and felt like it had some compression. This was great news.
The key number on these old crocks is stamped on the front of the ignition barrel so I ordered a couple of keys from eBay.
When they arrived, I unlocked the boot, I was excited to see what was inside there that was making the back end so low. I was imagining it was full of old tools.
Imagine my disappointment when I got it open to reveal nothing more than a box of early 80s newspapers, a new fan belt and a pair of wiper blades! For some reason the rear springs are completely knackered even though the back seat looks unused and the inside of the boot is in great condition with the original boot mat and the hardboard covering the petrol tank intact.
Sagging rear springs was very common on those. The ones I remember as bangers 40+years ago were all like that.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

What's the plan for the bodywork? Shame those wings have gone quite as bad as they have. Otherwise it would be easier for preservation rather than renovation.

For making those sorts of panels, I was recommended to get some 0.6mm steel and hammer that over the body area to get the general shape. I have done it a few times and it works well. That said, I'm not sure how well those areas would survive doing that.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

There’s no getting away from the fact that the wings need a lot of work. Although on the plus side the vulnerable headlight area appears sound.
Might be able to get some better rear wings, they do appear from time to time as they can only be used on A55 Mk1 saloons. Unlike the front wings where you’re fighting against the van and pickup owners for them.
The plan is to get it running and driving first, so it’s not another dead car. Then take one wing off at a time to sort them.
Doors are rot free, the only area of damage being to the edge of the drivers door where it looks like someone’s tried to break into it at some point.
It’s also got a few London parking scrapes and dings around it. So ideally it does need a respray.